October Surgery?

I have a lumpectomy on 20th October.

I have to report at 7,30am and could be on way home by 1pm.  

I am a midwife, so have prepared many for Caesareans, but now it is me - I haven’t a clue…

I *think* I have some sort of pre op the day before to inject a radio active dye, grateful for more info - and if others in same postion as me.

What is recovery generally like?  I am a bit of a wuss…

A

xx

Hi there, sorry to hear you have to have op on 20/10 . I’m fairly new to this site and have found it great for support and advice. I have had 2 lumpectomys recently…first one i had to be in at 7.30am & was ready to go home by 2.30pm .I only needed 2nd op to get a better margin & then check sentinel node . They injected a little bit of radioactive dye into my boob a few hours before my op. However my 2nd op was much later in the day than the first one so im guessing thats why you are having it put in the day before. Having the tracer dye in was painless and only took a minute. As for recovery we are all different …after op my boob went through the colours of the rainbow (bruising) and had some pain for a few days but if you take painkillers when you need them hopefully you will get through it ok but take things easy. You are definitely not a wuss…you have inner strength because of the wonderful job you do. Everyone on here wishes we weren’t in this ‘club’ but we are all in it together and rooting for each other. Please let us know how you get on, will be thinking of you. H xx

Hi A. Hello and sorry you find yourself here with the rest of us. You will be made so welcome and will make loads of friends on your journey. I had a similar pathway to Helen. I was diagnosed at the end of June and had a lumpectomy as well as Sentinel node biopsy at the end of July. I had to stay in, as I ended up last on the list. I did have to go in again as Helen did to get a better margin. Both surgeries were straightforward. I’d been very worried about the wire and dye but all the staff made me comfortable. With local anaesthetic the pre surgery bits were ok and the worst bit for me was the waiting. The 2nd op I was in and out in a few hours. I had a bit of a smurf boob/blue tit (as we affectionately named it!) for quite a while. Be kind to yourself and rest after the surgery. The best advice I had was to be aware of the post surgery blues, which seem to hit in the first week. Just as rotten as baby blues, so you will definitely know what it is! It’s the mix of anaesthetic and your head catching up with what’s gone on. The physical recovery isn’t too awful but you will probably find your underarm more painful than your boob from sentinel node biopsy if you’re having this done? Do all the exercises and don’t hang out the washing(!) and you will recover well. The other bit of advice would be to let yourself be the patient. I found that hard, as I’m also used to being the one providing care, but it’s the best way to get through. I’m now having hormone treatment and today (finally!) starting radiotherapy. Big hugs xx

Morning Janey, hope your first rads session goes well today, will think of you. Morning too A, i echo Janey’s comments…if you have to have a wire put in before op dont make the mistake of looking down as i did, keep looking up and talking to the nurses, little uncomfortable but i recommend not looking! I mistyped yesterday …the little injection i had was to put radioactive tracer in which should lead surgeon to sentinel node. I was warned if tracer couldn’t be picked up thats when they would put blye dye in and you might turn a bit blue temporarily (i had a lot of smurf jokes from my friends , laughter helps if possible i find ) but luckily i didnt need the dye. My armpit was sore after sentinel biopsy so definitely agree about not hanging out washing…i couldnt lift my arm much for a few days so roped my 2 boys in to help hang it out. I was expecting to have excisions in boob again & new one under armpit but after few days when i could lift arm i couldnt find a scar under there. It was only when i saw surgeon after 2nd op he said he had done a new technique and taken sentinel node out through the cut in my boob instead of armpit. The waiting for results and appointments is hard and your emotions are likely to be on a rollercoaster with ups & downs but please know you will get loads of support and friendship on this site. Take care and hugs to you. H xx

Hi Agarside,

And welcome.

I’m at home recovering from my Lumpectomy just over a week ago.

My arm and boob are still pretty sore. I’ve got one deep incision under my armpit, a smaller one lower down and then several big wounds on my breast. There are stitches in my boob and the under-arm wounds are covered in a sort of clear paste (they used a glue to close them).

Although I was at the hospital at 7am I didn’t leave until 5pm. It was a long day.

The day before I had a radioactive dye injected into the breast. Didn’t hurt at all.

First up for me at the hospital was a meeting with the anaesthetist to talk through any problems you might have. They are very interested in allergies so write them down even if it is just cats or dogs or pollen.

Then I was off to Ultrasound to have the wire inserted. I found this a horrible proceedure but the staff were brilliant. Although the local anestetic was good I could feel a lot of pushing etc.

Then I had a mammogram to make sure it was in the right place.

Off back to the ward. Then surgeon arrived for a chat. Are you happy with the proceeeure being done? I had to meet with mine twice to make sure we got it right for me (previous to that day).

Woke up in recovery around 2pm but in a lot of pain. It took about 3 hours for them to get the pain under control and to get me walking. I didn’t have the blue dye afterall. 

My wounds were painful at home but controlled by Ibuprofin. My stomach though really suffered from all the painkillers. Now the wounds are more tender than painful.

The after operation guide I have said not to use a kettle for a couple of days. I couldn’t have lifted one full of water with that side anyway. My other half had to cook for the first week. 

Have a limited range of movement but managed my week 1 exercises. I’m a little behind in moving to week 2 as the pain / pulling has only just calmed down to a manageable level.

It’s going to be another 2 weeks until I hear the results. Then either another operation (if they didn’t get it all out) or on to radiation. 

Hope this helps. 

Hi there A

im sure you’ll have gathered from the replies that each of us have a slightly different experience with our lumpectomies. I had mine on the 9th September - sentinel node removed at the same time. 

I went in to hospital the day before, had the isotope injection which was not the most pleasant thing ever but was over quickly. The chap who did it said it would feel like a bee sting, and it sure did - on your nipple lol. I had the wire put in that same afternoon - the did numb it up first and it was fine. Weird but fine. I was a little aware of it over night as I could feel it pricking if I moved a certain way. It WAS ok though. 

I Stayed in over night that night ready for surgery the following day. 

Pre meds were given as routine so I was a happy soul going down to theatre (felt a little tipsy and even told the anaesthetist to 'get this bad boy out!! Mortified now at the thought lol). My lump was quite far in and was a bit of a challenge to get out apparently and I ended up with a drain as a result. That too was ok, but it was pressing on a nerve so got rather painful on and off during the day. It was a better alternative than having the fluid build up. They can control any pain really well so don’t suffer in silence if you have any. 

I went in on the Thursday for injection & wire, op on the Friday and then drain removed and discharged on the  Monday. I was very sore and the journey home was a challenge as I felt every bump or hole in the road. Be aware of where the seatbelt goes as the pressure can be painful. 

The last 3 weeks have been up and down. Good one day and a crying mess the next. Painful but manageable and I’ve had two areas of fluid building up, one of which gave me a very sore and sensitive nipple. Ouch. 

I couldn’t drive for two weeks but my nurse was happy that I could begin driving at that point as my op was on the right breast, the seatbelt didn’t touch it when I was driving. I made a friend in hospital and her op was on the left - they aren’t happy for her to drive for a month because of the seatbelt. 

Be prepared to feel exhausted. I still am now. I’ve done my exercises every day and have good movement now but still no lifting and getting plates etc out of overhead cupboards is a no no. 

I returned to work today for a few hours but was very sore and knackered by 12 so came home. Phased return it seems to be. 

Hopefully will know about chemo or no chemo on Friday this week. Fingers crossed it won’t be needed but they say I should prepare myself in case the Oncotype test come back high, and as I’m 44 (young in their eyes even though I feel ancient) they might go with chemo anyway. 

You will be fine. Everything that happens is to make us healthy again. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and don’t rush things. Rest, sleep, cry if you feel like it. As I was told - be kind to yourself. 

We are all different and even when I was in, there were ladies that went home within 24 hrs; I was there 5 days in all; and there were some that were in 8 days. 

This forum is an absolute godsend for me and so very reassuring. There is always someone who has been through something similar. 

Good luck for your op on the 20th. 

Onwards and upwards 

bethx

Huge luck for your Oncotype results Beth. Mine came back at 17, so no chemo and rads started today. Echo completely what you said. Don’t look when they put wire in. I shut my eyes and redecorated my house in my head! I’m a lefty, so couldn’t cope with seatbelt and was chauffeured for a while. Hugs xx

Hi Flopsy, Janey and Amanda

Im booked in for 12/10/16 later on in the evening, so just one week ahead of you Amanda - will let you know how I get on.  Thank you for sharing your experiences Flopsy and Janey. I was thinking I’d be sore for maybe 1-2 days - am I being naive??? 

Beth - Is the Sentinel Node removal the same thing as just taking 1-2 to test if the cancer has spread? My surgeon doesn’t think it’s spread any further than the tumour, but I know they remove some nodes. 

Big hugs to you all - we’ll soon be doing the happy dance Amanda once we’ve had our ops. 

Hi. They couldn’t test my sentinel node there and then either. I have a 2-3 inch vertical scar under my arm. Brilliant surgeon left me with a scar around my nipple, My lump was higher but she went in from below. She used the same cut for the second surgery to get a better margin and honestly the scar just looks like a wrinkle around my nipple. No loss of sensitivity - although slightly more pert than the other one - honestly the things I share!! I guess we will all have different surgeries depending on site, but I feel I’ve been lucky Xx

All the very best… will be thinking of you xx

Hi ,I’m due to have lumpectomy next Tuesday and am getting really scared. The biopsy was so traumatic as they hadn’t numbed me properly and the thought of having to have the marker wire in terrifies me. Thought I was brve by reassuringeveyone that I was fine and needed noone to stay with me the day of the operation but I really do need someone there now and think its to late to ask anyone as they have work. Im not sleeping and part of me would like to just run away - not logical I know

Do do do ask someone to go with you. I didn’t and it was a long day. I had someone with me the second time and was much calmer. Xx

Hi Midge

try not to worry about having the wire put in. In comparison to the biopsies (I had two different lots of 5 done), the wire was a breeze.  I found it more weird than horrible. When you have it done, tell them that you found the biopsies painful and that you are concerned and I’m sure they will reassure you and make it as pain free as possible.  

I genuinley didn’t feel the wire going in at all - it’s no thicker really than cotton thread, it’s just bendy like a pipe cleaner. Mine went in over 5 cm and I felt nothing. 

I found the biopsies traumatic. The first lot of 5 were done via an ultrasound and I will never forget the clicking of that gadget. Made me jump out of my skin. My husband knew by the look on my face that it was horrible. My second lot of biopsies were done via mammogram and they were better as the machIne did it all really. 

Im sure if you wanted someone to be with you, even though they can’t be there when you have procedures done, the hospital would be fine. The last thing they need is for you to be even more anxious than you’re going to be anyway. The only restrictions they put when I was in a few weeks ago were on the day of the surgery only. (lumpectomy and node removed). After the op, visitors were restricted to standard visiting hours 2-3 and 7-8. After that day visitors could come and go when ever they liked after 11am through till 9pm. Speak to your team and if they offer pre med before the op, take it. I did and I was happy as Larry going to theatre!! Embarrassingly so!!!

please try not to stress yourself out too much. It is horrible and it is stressful and what ever support people offer, take it. I have always been so very independent and my hubby and I have never asked anyone for anything until now. Now, just 4 weeks today after my surgery, I will gladly take any support I can get!!! 

Good luck with everything. Be kind to yourself. And keep posting on here, it is very cathartic. 

Beth x

I am having WLE on Monday…wires to be put in in the morning and surgery in afternoon.looks like Ill be there until the evening .I will be on my own but my daughter will come early evening to pick me up, I have not been too worried but beginning to be now its getting nearer.I dont know what time the op is but wonder how long aftewards Ill need to stay in? I know everyone is different but hearing how long others stayed might help.Thanks

Had my pre op today. Now its real. The nurse was very ‘matter of fact’ and as I am a midwife (not NHS) kinda expected her to be more sympathetic but it was very ‘get you in get you out’…

I now have to look forward to the blue (radioactive) dye, on 19th the day before op… but reading, I am not seeing where it gets injected into to do its job???
Amanda
X

Just found out surgery delayed 6 days as surgeon on long term absence.
Not having any luck at all… need someone to give me a break…
Xx

Oh Amanda what a blow. Is there an opportunity to ask for another surgeon? I chose to wait a bit longer for the surgeon I had, as she was off, but I was offered another surgeon. Xx

I believe it is a new surgeon as mine on long term absence… hoping I will get to meet him/her before.
Yesterday a real ‘red mist’ day…

Had surgery 4 days ago, all seemed to go well, results/treatment plan in two weeks.

Feeling sorry for myself as I am very uncomfortable tonight…
Not quite sure what to do with myself…
*sigh*
Amanda
Xx

I have my results on Wednesday… 9th Nov…  

I think I have gone through every possible result to try and be prepared, and understand what it means.

I was wondering how everyone else is doing - hope you are all ok…

A

*like a swan on a lake - from a distance, a graceful bird on water - underneath, paddling like **bleep***