cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odyssey holidays - free! For you!

238 REPLIES 238
libby_2010

Re: Odyssey holidays - free! For you!

Hi you do need a referral from one of your breast care team for this. When my BCN tried to become a referrer she was told no new referrers were being taken on so she could not refer me. Self referrals get short notice vacancy offers.I think they are getting oversubscribed as they are so popular and are a charity. Jackie

mrsblue

I see there are some dates on their website for summer and autumn 2011.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Carolyn here is the link to the odyssey website.

http://www.odyssey.org.uk/index.php?calledFrom=3

Hope it helps
Linda x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

could you tell me the web address for the holidays or the phone no please.

thanks

Carolyn x

Divvy1

I've now been on the Odyssey course, returned yesterday, & it has been a most marvellous experience. The course did include things I didn't want to do, so I didn't do them. It was no problem, there was no pressure at all, & the things I did do were amazing.
It has been a pleasure from start to finish & I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hope you have a great time...:D

Jenny (Jennywren) went last year and I know she had a brilliant time and she was always encouraging me to go but when I've looked at the site recently there doesn't seem to be anywhere near as many courses available...

Theresa x

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck Diwy I hope you have a great time. Like you I am a bit apprehensive about them but slightly tempted. Let us know how it goes and you will help me make a decision. Hope it's great.

Love Anne x x

mrsblue

They are great... unforgettable... my Odyssey in spring 2009 was a highlight of the year. There were so many "good surprises" 😉

I would say to anyone, go if you possibly can!

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck Divvy, hope you find it a marvellous experience.

My name is down on the waitlist for this course, but I'm now not going to be able to take up a place (if one came up) as my colleagues are all away in Germany on a conference and I need to be at work to cover. I could've insisted on one remaining behind, but without a confirmed place, that would've been unprofessional. A shame, but I'll have to wait for the course next spring.

Anyway, hope it all goes really well (train travel especially).

Debs x

Divvy1

I am going on an Odyssey course next week !
I am quite apprehensive if I'm honest, about everything, from the journey there & back on trains (alone obviously) to what the course will actually invove. I don't do physical stuff as a rule (used to hide in the toilet to get out of P.E) but nevertheless I'm going,
Wish me luck !!

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Phili & Dawn, I had a really rapid response from them confirming that my back would be no trouble and that they had a place on the next course. Unfortunately, this course is too soon for me to be able to fit in with work commitments, so I will have to wait for a later course. But I'll keep checking the site to find a course date I can make.

Thanks to both of you for the recommendation.

Debs x

dawnhc

Debs I have extensive bone mets also affecting all parts of my spine and I really worried long and hard over whether I could do this or not. I went and cannot recommend it enough. Even the one mile of walking is not a problem if you don't feel you can do it. You will have a wonderful time and I say that, not even being an outdoor type.

Dawn
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Debs!
They're quite used to dealing with all sorts of physical problems. They say as long as you can climb a flight of stairs & walk about a mile you're ok to go. I do hope you get a place
Good luck xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Phili,

Thanks for the bump ... I've e-mailed to check if my back troubles can be accommodated, as that's far more likely to cause me problems than the cancer!

Debs x

Guest user
Not applicable

I thought it was worth bumping this up as there'll no doubt be some new people here who would like to apply for a place. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Guest user
Not applicable

We were really lucky this last week with the weather and it was sunny and dry all the time. I believe they adapt some of the things done if the weather is bad and presumably that is why there are no courses in the winter.

Having met you, Marmite, I feel quite confident that you would enjoy it. Indeed I think practically everyone would find it good if not fantastic - certainly all our group did. Probably best to apply as soon as the dates go up.

Kay x

Guest user
Not applicable

Just been looking at the website... have been thinking of applying for this since i first heard about it... have to wait until the Scotland and Midland dates go up though...

Theresa

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Marmite

You can apply now, I believe, but they don't hold any courses over the winter and the next one will be in April. Go for it!

Phili x

Guest user
Not applicable

Glad you all had a great time. I really will think about applying.
Am I right in thinking it is mainly outside activities and therefore might be better to wait until the spring to do it?
Marmite

Guest user
Not applicable

I have to agree with Kay & Philidel - it really was amazing!! One of the best weeks of my life. Just go go go!!!

pp

Guest user
Not applicable

I have to second that - It was amazing! An absolute privilege to be there and to meet such lovely people. I haven't quite got the words yet to say how wonderful it was without giving anything away, other than to say I would thoroughly recommend it. As Kay says, go go go!

dawnhc

Kay I am so glad you had a good time. It is so hard when we can't talk about what we did but it truly is fantastic. They were all things I would never have dreamed of doing in my lifetime. But the care and thought that goes into it and the people you meet make it a very special experience.

Dawn
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Wow! What an absolutely amazing time! Up there as one of the most fantastic weeks of my life. If you have the opportunity to go, GO!

Kay

Guest user
Not applicable

hope you have a great time. have just asked my onc to provide letter in support of application for secondary school place for our daughter, so will wait a while before asking him about odyssey course for me.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Kay and Phili,
I'm really looking forward to it too. See you both on Sunday!!

pp
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Look forward to seeing you too, Kay
I'm staying just outside Faversham on Saturday (to avoid train complications on Sunday) so am going to treat myself to a nice meal in Whitstable (probably my favourite seaside place) on Saturday evening - very indulgent of me!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Have only just seen this thread - I too am on the Kent course next week. Am really looking forward to it - have only heard/read good things of it.

See you on Sunday, Phili and Purpleprincess!

Kay

gocat

Oooh just seen this thread. Bit late for the Kent course I reckon, even though the website says places still available, but have inquired about next year for me and my mum. Both have breast cancer and both have hip replacements, so should be interesting.

Have a great time, those going soon 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Only 3 days to go! My arrangements for getting there (which have swapped & changed over the intervening weeks) have been fixed now and the weather forecast is looking good. I can't wait!
Phili x

Guest user
Not applicable

Glad you got a place Philidel! - I'm going to get there by train so hope they are running alright as often there are engineering works at weekends!!

pp
x

Guest user
Not applicable

I've just heard I've got my place!!! Now all I've got to do is figure out how on earth I'm going to get there. I don't feel like leaving my car in a railway station car park for 5 days, and public transport on Sunday is a nightmare. ho hum, something will turn up.

Guest user
Not applicable

fantastic time in dunnon and would encourage anyone to go on it

judyw47

Just like to say ladies I went on the Dunoon course in July and it was truly amazing. Loved it!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Phili
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope to meet you on the course!!

pp
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Purple - I'm on the waiting list for that course so keep fingers crossed for me to get a place!
Phili x

Guest user
Not applicable

Anyone going on the Kent course in September? I have got a place and am really looking forward to it

pp

Guest user
Not applicable

I approached my local MacMillan nurse, who had heard Odyssey but hadn't had any dealings with them. They were more than happy to register her as a referee and then we had a meeting to go through the on-line referral together. And very simple it was too. Maybe you could try a similar route, Nicky

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Nicky

I'm surprised at the response you got. I self-referred to Odyssey, my oncologist and his team hadn't heard of the charity. They were a bit sniffy about the self-referral initial but I persisted and was given a place. Definitely try again or get your GP to refer you.

Fingers crossed xx

Jacksy

Hi Nicky,
I'm really sorry to hear that. I referred myself, but that was over a year ago. Maybe with the funding crisis they're having to cut down and one way to do that is by going back to what I think was their old method of working through certain hospitals. It wouldn't take a moment for your onc to sign a form (you could post it to his/her secretary) or would they accept a GP referral? Surely all they really need to know is that you do have cancer and aren't making it up!
Good luck and I really hope you get to go.
Debs, that's a shame that you missed out so closely. Maybe next time....
love jacquie

Guest user
Not applicable

I contacted Odyssey after joining in on this thread and they rang a few weeks ago. They had one place left and I could have it, sadly as I am back on chemo and have had zilch energy I had to decline. So if you have been offered a place in the last 2 weeks I hope you have a lovely time!
With luck I will apply again next year.
Love Debsxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I have contacted Odyssey twice in the last year, the last time a few weeks ago. i was told that a medical professional needs to refer me, and that they are having funding problems, also that they generally work with a few hospitals in their area: so the holidays aren't open to everyone with cancer, and as I don't see any medical professional apart from my overworked oncolcogist, I probably won't have the chance to experience one.

Nicky

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi.

Just to add my thoughts. Just my views. I have not been on this holiday, but from what I have heard and what I have read I think this is a wonderful and unique facility. As much a time for us cancer patients to benefit from some time concentrating on ourselves as our friends/families to have a break from caring for us whilst knowing that we are in a caring environment. I have been thinking about asking to be referred, but so many things are up in the air at the moment regarding treatment that I will wait for things to settle down before looking into it more. Hopefully a; they will still have funding at that point and b; I will still be in a position to do it and c; I will still be as enthusiastic about it when/if that time comes.

If this kind of thing is not for you, fair enough, but please don't be so negative when you haven't experienced it for yourself. For me it's like people saying they don't like a particular food when they haven't even tried it. Sorry, but one of my bugbears.

Hope I haven't offended anyone.

Snoogle
x

Jacksy

You are most welcome. It's just nice to be able to share a good thing around.
Have a fab time
Jacquie x

Guest user
Not applicable

I had an appointment with the local MacMillan nurse this morning & she was really pleased to refer me as I'm the first for her. I'm on the shortlist for Kent on September 20th. Fingers crossed I get a place!
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Jacqui

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for starting this thread Jacqui. Certainly provoked a lively debate. You've inspired me to get booked on to the Welsh course on the 19th. Really looking forward to it!

Kathryn xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I've been seriously considering it for a while... Jenny has been trying to persuade me as she knows I am keen... I just hope they are still doing them next year as I've heard that like most charities they are having funding problems...

Theresa

Guest user
Not applicable

Well I am seriously considering this - what's to lose? Anyone else fancy it?

Guest user
Not applicable

The Odyssey staff specialize in working with cancer patients - all sorts of cancer patients - and part of their aim is to show the individual what they are capable of achieving. Really, almost anyone can take part.

Also, my own Odyssey experience definitely encompassed art, environment, and music, and I am sure Chebsy will back me up here; it was not all bungee jumping by a long chalk, was it?? Though some people (mentioning no names) did attempt their own version of 'Walkabout'...

chebsy13

I agree Cherub- and it was reading Jackie's comments on her experience that made me go for it and I had just the best time recently on the Shropshire/Wales Odyssey - I am far from fit, bit of a control freak as always need to know what is happening next, don't like surprises, over sixty,over the hill - I could go on and on with all the negative side of me but it really gave me a spring in my step, lots and lots of laughter, great memories and a positive feeling that I am not written off!

Have great time in Scotland Leadie - I know the area well as family came from Dunoon - look forward to reading all the positive posts from those anticipating Odyssey! x

Guest user
Not applicable

well said cherub! I'm off to scotland in July
Leadie