378605posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odyssey holidays - free! For you!

cherub

Re: Odyssey holidays - free! For you!

I just feel that Jacksy started this thread in good faith to say what a good experience she had, but it has been jumped on and rubbished. Personally, I think it's great that Jacksy had a positive time on this holiday.

Guest user
Not applicable

How do you know you can't manage it?
Under their FAQs they point out that the holiday is "designed to be accessible to most people with cancer" and that advanced age, terminal status, limited mobility etc shouldn't prevent participation.
They have a phone number on the FAQs page so you can call and chat to someone.

I have worked a lot with adults and children who have cerebral palsy. There is a surprisingly large range of holiday and travel opportunities that now exist for people with often very severe disabilities.

Guest user
Not applicable

I was being a bit 'tongue in cheek' msmolly.I'm sure there isn't mountain climbing but it certainly looks from the pictures on the web site that it is some sort of activity/outward bound type holiday.I'm not knocking it,I almost considered it myself before my situation got worse and going by peoples comments,it sounds wonderful.
I'm sure it's great for people who are up to it but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to participate in anything too physical because of my spine mets and other problems.It would be nice to be given a little bit more information into what the activities might be just in case it's not suitable when people get there.Some of us can't manage physical activity any more so are unable to go on such holidays but there is nothing else out there available to us.
Alli.

Guest user
Not applicable

I don't see any mention of mountain climbing or canoeing anywhere in their blurb. They do mention the environment, art and music.
It clearly isn't everyone's cup of tea - personally I am too much of a seasoned backpacker and borderline sociopath to be tempted by anything like this. I also don't like to define myself as a cancer person.
But the reports from previous participants and the evaluation scores are indisputably very positive.
Good luck to them.

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm with you Alloway!
I haven't got the energy or the suppleness to be climbing up mountains or canoeing.
A bit of relaxation and pampering would be wonderful!
Alli.

Alloway

Bahons2,

If I ever find such an orgainisation I will let you know!

Frankly, I don't see why there shouldn't be. It seems we have to "earn" a freebie holiday by submitting to all the physical jerks.

I was a sun-lounging, book-devouring slob pre cancer; why would I want any other type of holiday post?

Guest user
Not applicable

Alloway, your ideal holiday is just what I would have written down.

Is there an organisation that does 'Blobby weeks' for people like us?

I do find the 'mystery' element of Odyssey slightly irritating; I'm not a child anymore, I'm a grown-up who finds this secretive aspect slightly disturbing. (And I've had more than my fair share of 'surprises' in recent years, not many of them pleasant)

And how do you know what clothes to pack if no-one tells you in advance what you're going to be doing????

X

S

Guest user
Not applicable

on the subject of odyseus I would like to be a lotus eater

I have been through my personal odyssey over the past five years, nearly six since finding my tumour, and I have emerged a different person. Whether this means I will run up a mountain or ford every stream remains to be seen

Mole

Guest user
Not applicable

oooooopppppssss looks like I may be the 4th person to walk no I mean crawl.
Love Debsxxx
plus don't know if my Jan Jansen's would cope.

Guest user
Not applicable

From the website, from the secrets you won't share I am pretty damn sure outward bound activities are involved and I don't want ever to do them.

And I so agree with you Cathy about challenging the philosophy that says climbing a bloody mountain is essential recovery for people with cancer.

Jane

chebsy13

Jennywren.....What do you mean.........not outward bound types - we were all brawn and muscles....must get my eyes tested again!

Seriously though - all you doubting Thomasinas...just go for it - I did and I am 60 and not exactly fit- not at all actually!! I was full of trepidation when I was dropped off in a carpark in Shrewsbury from Boscastle in Cornwall - thinking I must be mad- it will be one of those "Sit around in a circle round a box of tissues and tell us how you feel!" - couldn't have been more wrong and Odyssey couldn't have been more right with what they gave us! It was so special and we can't tell you more or it would spoil the whole concept - so give up asking questions and wait to be surprised!

PS - Sorry debsincornwall - not even a germ of a wheatgerm in sight!

Guest user
Not applicable

Jane, I would love to tell you more - I really would - but this would contravene Odyssey's policies, which I would hate to do. Suffice to say, we were spoiled rotten and nobody ever did anything that they did not wish.
Perhaps (indeed, probably) the courses would not suit everyone but I think the majority of those tempted by it, would have a great time. The website says that of 500 participants spread over 12 years, only 3 left before their time was up. I am sure many of those on the course I was on, would certainly not describe themselves as 'outward bound' types.

Jenny
x

cherub

Could it not be to do with positive psychology relating to experiencing and connecting with the outdoors? When I was on a meditation course we were encouraged to use outdoor experiences as a meditational tool. I must admit, I'm not a sporty person, but I do enjoy outdoor things more than I did prior to being ill, although I've always enjoyed walking by the sea.

Guest user
Not applicable

I keep looking at this thread and am still very puzzled about the Odyssey holiday. I've just looked at the website and it does strongly suggest that some form of outward bound pursuits are the focus of the holiday. Well, I have to agree with Jane that I absolutely hate outdoor pursuits. I was forced into them at school when doing the Duke of Edinburgh scheme and then again when in the RAF. I hate abseiling, canoeing and mountain climbing with a passion that thinking about it now makes me feel sick. So I guess would many other people at my age and level of unfitness, therefore there must be something more to it than meets the eye or all these people who have been would have hated it too. I can't think for the life of me what else there is that would be so enticing, but I am very open minded about it and even tempted to give it a try, just for the hell of it!!

Ps also want to add that there should be holidays that just involve lazing around in the sun or whatever if that's what make you feel good. Why does everyone think that it is character building to climb a bloody mountain? When my son had cancer, we went to the Malcolm Sargent house in Prestwick where we were spoilt rotten by good food, comfortable rooms and were not made to participate in anything.

Guest user
Not applicable

Well that's what I am hoping for!
(not the wheatgerm thingy)
Love Debsxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Alloway

Just read your post as I was typing my last one. Absolutely agree.

Jane x

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh goodness...I must stop posting on this theaed ..did you or did you not get encouratged to do physical exercise...abseiling, acoeing, rock climbing whatever.

I'm pleased for people who have a great time...like I'm pleased for people who enjoy wheatgerm stew at the Bristol cancer place...but not for me!

Jane

Alloway

I'm with you Jane! Given that an outward bound type thing has always been my idea of holiday hell, why would I want it now?!?

My idea of holiday heaven (apart from my beloved Venice) is a lovely villa with a sunny private pool. Then there are no issues about baldness, one-sideness, or any other cancer induced abomination. A huge pile of books is an absolute essential(I need 10 a week)and a lovely view to look out at and to enjoy gentle strolls engaging with.

Then a delicous dinner in a good restaurant in the evening, a stoll for coffee/drinks after and then to bed. Repeat for as many as days as can be afforded. Cultural outings optional. (I prefer to do sightseeing in the Spring and Autumn.)

Any idea where I can get one like that?!!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Jane

As a past participant of an Odyssey break in Kent I can truly say that it was the most amazing experiences EVER! so if you can then GO the memories have stayed with me. Surprise is the key.
Rosemary

Guest user
Not applicable

Why is anyone unable to tell me whether or not you are encouraged to partake of things like canoeing..why can't you tell me? Bloody masons indeed. The website tells me this is the case.

Debs ..thanks for the invitation but another day another place. I don't like the concept which is on their website..nor the assumptions about how living with terminal cancer might feel.

Jane

judyw47

Have pm'd you Leadie re Scotland as I'm booked on that one... not decided how I'm getting up there from the south yet.

Judy

chebsy13

Hi all - haven't posted for a while but thought I'd take a peep and see if Jennywren had posted.....we were on the same Odyssey and just had the BEST time - lovely to meet you Jenny!! It was great - so do go for it all of -glad to see you've signed up Debs in Cornwall - I was the only one from Cornwall-you will love it!

I'm a bit of a control freak and like to know what is coming next - it was so weird but utterly exhilarating to have my days totally organised by someone else and full of surprises.

I feel so good and positive - I have turned into the Yes Woman now!! Love to all xxxxx

AnneS

You'll be fine Debs and it's only 5 days after all. I found there was plenty of opportunity to discuss cancer and to talk as much or as little as you wanted. All very relaxing and the leaders and organisation were superb. Wish I could say more but I only wish I could go again!

Guest user
Not applicable

Jane,
I know what you mean I can't swim, my mother nearly drowned me when I was a kid! Don't do any of the other things either so why don't you apply to come on the same one as me.
We can sit and chat about death an d how we are desperately trying to avoid/delay it.
It all sound like the bloody Mason's to me so I think maybe it is time to give it a go.
Love Debsxxx
Oh and I don't do camping tents and crawlies!

Guest user
Not applicable

It is an Odyssey. It involves all sorts of activities. And anyone (yes anyone) can do them.

Guest user
Not applicable

I try to avoid these Odyssey discussions,,but I feel I have such an important point about them that I can't let it go!!

Someone answer this question plase: Does the holiday involve physical outward bound activites or not? If this answer is yes (including a qualified 'yes but") then I simply do not want to go. I have lived my life with really poor co ordination...I can't swim, jump, abseil or any other outside sports most people seem to love. It would be deeply upsetting for me to be with other people experiencing pleasure at activities which I cannot do. I don't want to go in a canoe.

If Odyssey involves lots of talking about cancer, openness about cancer and not outward bound then I would be the first to sign up.

I just think that Odyssey should be clearer in their publicity about what their 'course' involves. I don't want to play mystery games.

But good on anyone who had a fab time..it simply wouldn't be fab for me

Jane

AnneS

You go for it Debs. I went nearly 2 years ago now and it was a fantastic and unforgettable experience. I really didn't think it would have been my scene at all but it was just brilliant. In my group the youngest was 18 and the oldest 63 and we all got on brilliantly and am still in touch with many of them. Just keep an open mind and you'll probably be pleasantly surprise but I'll say no more. Just go!

Anne xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well I keep looking at these posts and spend too much time making excuses. So I have just bit the bullet and e mailed aiming for the July one. So I will let you know.
Really good that you all enjoyed it.
Love Debsxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

It was, indeed, an awesome trip that I went on! I can't recommend it enough to anyone.

Guest user
Not applicable

Jane - Accommodation and catering were 5 star, just superb.

Guest user
Not applicable

Great you had such a great time Jenny.

but can't say anything positive anyone says about outward bound for cancer patients will change my mind. Bring on the spa hotel please.

Jane x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there,

Well! I just can't sing the praises of absolutely everything to do with Odyssey highly enough. It was a fantastic and amazing adventure. I just wish I could tell you all about it - but mystery is a large part of the deal.

If any of you ever get the chance to go on one of these Odyssey courses, grab it with both hands - it is a truly, truly wonderful experience.

With huge thanks and fond memories, to ALL the amazing people involved.

Jenny
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone

I'm going on the Odyssey trip to Scotland in May (had this booked for months and months and hoorah, it's finally come round). If anyone wants to make contact prior to arriving in Scotland, I'd be really happy for you to PM me. I'll be travelling by train from the Midlands on 2 May and staying overnight in a hotel - if anyone else is going up early and fancies a travelling companion, let me know; I shall be booking tickets today or tomorrow.

Look forward to meeting those who are going in May!

Cat

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies, I'm booked onto the Scotland holiday in July, anyone else going then? I live in Kent but fancied going further afield and love the Scottish countryside. Feeling really excited about it
Best wishes
Leadie

Guest user
Not applicable

My main concern right now is the car. I could get a train (5hrs plus taxi from home = nearer 6hrs) or drive in 2 1/2 hrs. Would be happy to dump the car once there but a week in a Garden Centre car park doesn't sound good. Also, I can't expect my family to drive me there as we are already full up with commitments for that weekend. Will have to give them a ring and see what can be done.

I am looking forward to it but it will be odd - I've never been away from my children for that long!

Now where's me alpenstock gone...

Jenny
x

Jacksy

Hi All,
I'm glad to see this thread is still going strong (I started it) and that some of you are looking forward to your Odyssey holiday very soon. I went last July and had the most wonderful time ever. Once you get to that car park/pick-up point you won't have to worry about a thing - you will be so well looked after. I just loved not having to take responsibility for anyone but me, somebody else decided where I went each day and I just had to go along and enjoy it. A brilliant rest for a busy Mum...
Have a fantastic time
Jacquie x

chebsy13

Hi Jenny - and others??? Yes and really looking forward to the great unknown- not very long now. As I remember - we have to meet in a car park at a garden centre - curious! A friend is giving me a lift as travelling from Cornwall to Shrewsbury on a sun to get there late morning is not easy but adds to the drama!

See you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooon and any of the others? Cheryl x

mrsblue

Interested to see today that the "South East" course in April has places still available... maybe because of some recent cancellations?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Had forgotten about this thread for a while but thought I would bring it back up and see if Jen, Kate, Kay and Cheryl are still on for Shrewsbury in May? Only about six weeks away now...

Jenny
x

mrsblue

Just seen this on the Odyssey website,
http://www.odyssey.org.uk/news.php#49

Guest user
Not applicable

H,
I'm going to the odyssey trip in may and it is in dunoon, got my letter in a couple of days ago.
Reneexx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you...:D
Have they given you Dunnoon as the meeting place...? I can get to Glasgow and Edinburgh quite easily from here by train - but not so sure about Dunnoon...

Theresa

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi rhapsodyangel, i am going to the Scotland one in May and as far as i know it is going to be in Dunnoon. Hope this helps.

Mary.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi i am really interested in this... I first read about it last year soon after i was first diagnosed - but i have now just finished rads so am thinking i might be able to do it later this year...

I know you can't give too many details - but has anyone been to the Scotland one / know where it is based...? Even roughly... I live in Northumberland and think this is the one they would want me to go on... But Scotland is a big place lol and i would have to be travelling by train (can't drive).

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Weetricia and Sparkler,
Think i just lost my post there.
Just wanting to know how you both are, iv'e tried looking around elsewhere for you but to no avail, preferred the old way.
Reneexx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hubby picked me up,not oicked!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls,

Just returned to work today and really enjoyed it.Spent the morning at The Marriot and afternoon at the Trades Hall.Went into the office from 5-6pm and hubby oicked me up and took me for dinner.

Renee-Mum has hospital appointment for Wed this week.She may need a major op on her back.Fingers crossed that she's ok.thanks for asking after her.

Sparkler,I hope the cold cap worksfor you.It didn't for me,but i have really thick hair and think that probably prevented it from cooling my scalp properly.I'm just glad my hair's growing back and is still dark.(even if it does look a wee bit mental!)

Take care of yourselves.
Regards
Tricia

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Weetricia and Sparkler,
Hope you are both doin well, iv'e been checking out the new forums and found them really difficult at first( must be a dummy), but now i'm getting a wee bit used to them, i told you i was at the do'c and they said neck thing was nothing but it is still quite uncomfortable so will have to wait and see if it gets better.
I really wish both of you were going on the may one as i would have really looked forward to meeting you both.
Going to the ps tomorrow to see about match up.
Sparkler how is the dog-walking going.
Weetricia hope your mum is well.
Love Reneexx.

Guest user
Not applicable

Tricia,

I have sent you an email

Mary.

Guest user
Not applicable

Renee,

I knew who you meant.Chemo brain-I wonder if it ever goes away?