cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odyssey holidays - free! For you!

dawnhc

Re: Odyssey holidays - free! For you!

hi chebsy,

I went last year to the Kent one and can only say I found it was fantastic. I didn't leave my mobile at home! but didn't use it when we were all together.

dawnhc

chebsy13

Hi all - have just booked up for May 2009 Odyssey - live in Cornwal and am going to the - meet in Shrewsbury one - anyone else? Query to those who have been - was it as good as you describe and di you actually leave mobiles at home?

Cheers xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Firstly you7 have to be under 40 for the Willow foundation and im going to my oddysey holiday on sunday meeting in shrewsbury. cant wait anyone else going?

dawnhc

I did the Kent odyssey last year Lynn and it is so true - from life starting to be come more restricted it was wonderful to do things I never dreamt I could or would ever do. It is so easy to stay within our comfort zone. But much of this I think was down to the care that those leading the week took to ensure our safety at all times and as you say not making us feel like wimps if we couldnt do something.

dawnhc

Guest user
Not applicable

I've just returned from 5 wonderful days in Kent with Odyssey.

I was very worried that I wouldn't be up to it, but there were no problems despite the fact that I walk with a stick, have difficulties with balance, am very unfit, etc.

I would recommend it to anyone who can walk up a flight of stairs and stroll for a mile or so. If you don't feel up to something, you don't have to do it and no one makes you feel like a wimp.

It was great being with a group of people with similar problems to my own, but all with the desire to get the most out of life. I had got used to the idea that the possibilities of what I could do with my life were getting fewer and more restricted. With Odyssey I did things that I never thought I would, and really enjoyed them. It has made me start planning fun things for myself again.

All in all I had a great time with some lovely people, and I'm so pleased I went.

Love, Lynn

Jacksy

Glad you had a good time, Kate and Margaret.
Thanks Cassie, I guess they don't do the Odyssey weeks in winter - it might be a bit dismal in the cold!
I think you have to be under a certain age for the Willow Foundation. Does anyone know?
Jx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello all,

Thanks for the heads-up Jacksy, I had not heard of this org but was very disappointed to see that although there are 3 separate September dates coming up, if I cannot make these (tests etc), I have to wait until April 2009. Their dates seem very odd and not very spread out at all.

Has anyone heard of the Willow Foundation? www.willowfoundation.org
They are a bit like the Make-A-Wish Foundation in that you make a request to do something and they will fund it, within reason. It has to be UK-based but you pretty much have carte blanche in terms of what you ask for. Might be more intersting for those of us who would prefer to have more say in what activities they take part in.

Cassie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Kate
Yes arrived home safely 1am! Like you I had lots of energy when I was there but have felt tired this week. It was a great time wasn't it?
Margaret

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Margaret and everyone else.

I was on the same one as Margaret and would recommend it to all.(Did you get home safely?)
My energy levels can be a bit hit and miss and although I was tired when I got back, I didn't feel it so much when I was there. The point of being able to walk a mile is that for someone with limited mobility, it may not be the best idea as it is not on level ground to do some of the activities.
Go for it if you like a bit of an adventure.

Kate

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies

I was booked to go on the Sept one in Scotland but had to pull out due to a family bereavement, and they have been ever so good as to re book me on the next one which is in May. Having read all the reports i am really looking forward to it.
Is anyone else booked for the May one in Scotland ?

Mary xx

dawnhc

I had a problem with saying I could do one mile and they told me - not a problem. It wasn't and you don't have to.

Dawn

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Cathy

I felt exactly the same. I am unfit, 59 years, and still had a hangover from chemo and rads. It didn't prevent me from joining in everything and surprising myself. If you decide to contact them you can discuss this.

Margaret

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi cathy - they say if you can walk a mile on the flat - u can do odyssey

ForumMember

Hi Margaret

I am now so unfit (can't blame BC or treatment cos was unfit well beforehand) so would I cope?

Cathy
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Cathy,

The weather varied, rain and shine, it was never bad enough to stop activities. You would not regret going, it is a wonderful opportunity.

Margaret

ForumMember

Hi Margaret

Was the weather kind to you or did you get drowned? I am very tempted to sign up for a holiday - maybe next year.

Cathy
x

Guest user
Not applicable

i am so pleased you had a good time margaret - i am booked on one in May but may have to defer due to DDI charabanc trip to lakes - had to change date as the YHA was fulll... i am trying to work out train times for next May.

i know someone who is going at the end of the month and she is really looking forward to it

j

Jacksy

Just to reassure you-of-little-energy. There's always a minibus nearby and I felt they were very unobtrusively keeping a close eye on individual people's energy levels. Absolutely every activity is optional and can be graded for how much or little energy you have for it.
So glad to hear how many of you are going - you will have the time of your life.
love Jacquie
ps Kate E good to hear you are doing so well. Hope all your scans worked/work out alright and you have a fantastic time in Turkey (spending all that DLA) x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies

Just back from the week in Scotland. It was fantastic. I am so pleased that I went, I made some lovely new friends, found out more about myself and have returned feeling more confident and ready to go!

I would recommend this to anyone.

Margaret

Guest user
Not applicable

Just looked through and decided to have a look at their website. a week away from all this might do the world of good anything is worth a try.

Guest user
Not applicable

Margaret

I'm not going to Scotland, I'm going to Kent, so won't see you - which is a shame.

Is there anyone out there going to Kent on 14th September/

Love, Lynn

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for this post - didn't know about it - but will do it.

K

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lynn,
Yes I'm on the Scotland hols this weekend. Like you I am hoping that I have enough energy to see me through. I am very excited now. See you there.
Margaret

Guest user
Not applicable

Good for you Lynn - they say they soert us all out - and they do sound lovely - i hope you have a lovely time

Guest user
Not applicable

Anna
No, meeting in Faversham 14th Sept.

Margaret
Is this the one you are going on? I'll be the one with moon face, 1cm of grey fluff and a walking stick.
It will be good to see you there.

I'm already starting to feel nervous, as I'm spending half my life in bed these days. But challenge and new experiences are good for me - I keep telling myself...

Love, Lynn

Guest user
Not applicable

I would so love to go but with small kids/school etc just not possible. Will try and see if poss for nedt summer. Good luck to all going. xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lynn meeting in shrewsbury 28th sept? ill see you then if you are?
Anna

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Kate,
and I'll be the one with 3 cms of white hair.... see you there
Margaret

Guest user
Not applicable

Inspired by this thread and reassured by everyone's comments, I got in touch with Odyssey last week and yesterday got confirmation that I'm on the September holiday in Kent!
Is anyone else going then?
I'm very excited & nervous. Just hope that I'm feeling strong & not too tired when the time comes - and hopefully no new symptoms.
Thanks everyone for helping to give me the courage to try something new.
Love, Lynn

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Margaret,
I'll be the one coming off the ferry looking lost with a big blue rucksack. I hope we get some better weather (surely it cant rain for another month lol.

Jacquie - I am doing really well at the moment - got lots of scans and tests to go through this month then holiday time for me. Going to Turkey with my OH two weeks after Dunoon. Also got my DLA finally sorted out(yay)

Take Care
Kate 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,
I have been thinking about an Odessey hol, someone told me about them, anyway I def going to have a look and see if they have got spaces left for later this year or early next, what dates is it in May cos I will prob be back at work then !!!! Sounds just what I need, Be in touch soon
Take care all
Dawn X

Guest user
Not applicable

i am laughing... i thought once i had thought again...i might think ewww no... but i really do want to go!

Guest user
Not applicable

I know Jen, god help the rest of you X x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Woohooo!!! Jennifer's and Kay....We're all going on a summer holiday!!!

Xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

So is this right - 2 Jennifer's, a Kate and a Kay booked in for Welsh Wales next spring? Could get confusing after the odd glass of vino...

Jenny
x

Jacksy

Guest user
Not applicable

its really easy if you just search odyssey and follow the instructions i e mailed to register and got a phone call the next day which was a sunday, they ask you a load of questions then thats it. im going at the end of sept. i was thinking of cancelling till this thread appeared now i cant wait, bring it on!!!!!
Anna

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all
can anyone tell me how i can look in to booking one of the hols
thanks sandra x

Jacksy

Hi All,
I'm glad so many of you have been encouraged to book up. You will have a brilliant time, I have no doubt.
Karen, maybe you should look at sail4cancer and not bother with the sailing bit! The spa certainly sounds tempting.....
Hi Kate (EamesK) - everything okay with you? I'm plodding along okay, thanks.
love Jacquie

karen

going to take a look at the mentioned holidays...but like jane my idea would not be for an outward bound holiday.....its something i've never be tempted to try.....but am willing to keep an open mind and have a look at the holidays.....though i'm quite a reserved person and the thought of going alone does bother me too.

karen

Guest user
Not applicable

i have a place booked next year too.... Kay - i may see you.

this is an opportunity for me to face my gremlins - i over-organise and i am scared of anything dangerous..... I need to do something different!

Face my demons .... rather than go that is too high...steer better... I need to do it and i will do

if we end up on same one kay = hi!!!!!

x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Jacquie,
Really appreciate your suggestion as I had looked at Odyssey's website before but wasn't sure it was for me. Now I have seen everyones comments I decided to apply as by next year I will be able to really benefit from it. Have been very lucky and given a place in May - Wales ,
Cheers,
Kay x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Kate,
I will be travelling from Northampton so I will arrive earlier and stay in a bed and breakfast. I might even travel 2 days earlier to have a rest after the travelling and a look round Dunoon. I look forward to meeting you.
I can't wait to have a meal put before me that I haven't cooked.
Margaret

Guest user
Not applicable

Jacquie,

Thanks ever so much for this...prior to BC I would never have had the courage to go on a holiday like this on my own, but I've booked and I'm looking forward to it.

Jennywren - I'm going to Wales in May too!!

Kate
Xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Will do! Thanks

Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Jane....no, you don't have to sail in a boat on a Sail4cancer holiday....unless you want to! You get to choose a holiday from the Neilsen company brochure and no-one else even knows that you got it through the charity....and there is no pressure at any time to do anything. There are lots of regular bookers there who don't join in too. Please pm me on pals if you want to know more

anniex

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Naunamh,
I am also going on the one in Scotland in September.
I think it will be lovely to have things done for me rather than to me.
Are you staying in Dunoon overnight or arriving on the day? I'll be there on the Sunday.

Hi Jacquie - hope all is well with you.

Kate

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks from me too - have just booked a place in Wales for next May. (Now there's optimism for you!)

Margaret - I didn't think I would be able to make Scotland at relatively short notice but I wouldn't be surprised if there are others from this site.

Jenny
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jacqui
Thanks for this thread. I have just booked a place for the beginning of September in Scotland. I am very excited about it all.
Is any one else going to this?
Margaret

Guest user
Not applicable

Don't you have to sail in a boat too!?

I'm not just being a grumpy old thing about these holdiays but making the point that one size doesn't fit all...I think the holidays on offer just reflect one kind of thinking on what 'cancer patients' 'ought' to like doing...For those who do great great great...but for those who don't ask us what we want some of you do gooders.

Jane