Offered Tamoxifen to reduce risk ! Help!

Hello,
attended the family history clinic and have been offered Tamoxifen to lower the risk of getting breast cancer. My mother, cousins, grandparents etc have had breast cancer and many have sadly passed away. My mum is the only person who has successfully been rid of breast cancer for 20 years. I’m 37 years old and have two young boys. I’ve read the leaflet and reasearched the medication on the internet but wanting to hear from real people who are taking the medication. Want to hear the good and the bad to make an informed decision…
Thanks in advance for your comments

Hi Tinkerbell80,

For more information on Tamoxifen, you might find it helpful to post on our Ask the Nurse board or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

Hello

I have been taking Tamoxifen for 2 and a half years after having breast cancer. I did not know I had a hereditry gene until after my cancer despite family history.

I have been told I will need to take it for 10 years.

Side effects I have had are hot flushes, bones aching and tiredness, but everyone is different and you may not have any of these. I also bruise like a peach now where I didn’t before.

I will continue to take it even with the side effects as I think of it as my life pill, helping to stop cancer re-occuring.

I hope you can make a decision, it has to be what you feel is right, it’s your body after all. Just get all the info you can.

I hope I have been of some help,

good luck

x