cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official diagnosis today.

10 REPLIES 10
Kat2000

Re: Official diagnosis today.

Hi Ann, thank you for explanation of cancer terms. Now I know that I had WLE and SNB.

Katerina

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Kat,
WLE is wide local excision, same as lumpectomy really, it is the surgical term for the removal of the tumour.
SNB is sentinel node biopsy, usually done at the same time as the wle. This is to remove 1 or 2 nodes nearest to the tumour to check for any spread.
Best wishes for your appointment, it does get clearer. It's a bit like another language at the start of going through this.
ann x

Kat2000

Hi Michele, unfortunately I am in Australia:) I found this forum on internet when I was browsing for "affect of mirena on breast cancer". By reading so many cases similar to mine I came to conclusion that mirena must helped develop bc in me. I should be more alert about my body and I wish I wouldn't trust my gp - she said it can't cause cancer. Although I have my doubts now. 

I found this forum is very useful so I decided to join:)

We are living 20km from little town so the closest radiotherapy would be in Canberra or in Wollongong. At least in Wollongong we could stay with my husband's family as the treatment will stretch for 4-5 weeks. I am not looking forward to see oncologist because I heard the patients come out in tears from his appointments! I don't have more stress then I already have...

It's good you are doing MRI! For some reason they didn't want to do it for me but maybe oncologist would send me there anyway... My tumour was "no particular type", but somewhere on internet I read that it's actually ductal. Let's hope they won't find anything unusual.

I don't know what WLE or SNB is...

20th July is quite close. Will it be lumpectomy and sentinel node? You probably explained it all somewhere in the forum but I find it a bit confusing to find messages from people I already talked and made a connection:))

Keep positive. Read good books. I found a wonderful book recently "Happy for no reason" by Marci Shimoff (still reading it). Maybe you already know about it:))

All the best for you.

Big hugs,

Katerina

Mygel2

Hi Katerina,

So glad it was good news on the lymph biopsies.  Not great that you don't have any lymph nodes left but I guess using the positive approach, it's better to have no lymph nodes than cancerous lymph nodes.  All the girls on the site say how important the arm exercises are so keep it up Smiley Wink

I had my appointment with surgeon yesterday and have been given a date for 20th July for op, at present I am having a WLE & SNB although still waiting for MRI.  They want the MRI as the biopsy showed characteristics of both lobular and ductal so they want to make sure there are no more sneaky areas lurking in either breast.  MRI is on Monday so they will see me probably Wednesday or Thursday with MRI results and as long as nothing unusual on MRI everything will go ahead as planned on the 20th. At present my plan is for radiotherapy and hormones post op.  Had a problem after biopsy, where a small area of tissue became necrotic so am having dressings regularly for that. 

Whereabouts in UK are you Katerina? Will you have to go elsewhere for your radiotherapy? I will have to go the Southampton for mine.

Hope the physiotherapy helps your arm.

Love and hugs

Michele xxx

Kat2000

Hi Michele, last Thursday I had appointment with my surgeon and she gave the news of biopsies on my lymph nodes - they didn't find any cancer! I was prepared for the worse and almost couldn't believe my luck. It seems the axillary cleatance was not neccessary ... Too late now - I don't have lymph nodes now on my left arm forever. My arm has difficulty to straighten and physiotherapist promised that they would recover the full movement. There is something with nerves and I do exercises 3 times a day. I am waiting for appointments to oncologist and radiologist. They are just once a month here in our town! 

How are you going? Did you start your treatment yet?

Big hugs,

Katerina

SueW

Michele thats good as we all have to deal with things in our own way.

I chose to tell my parents but my dad is a bit at a loss as to what to say so just get about 8 texts a day saying love you which is sweet even if a tad inconvenitent when I am in meetings etc ... bless him. x

Mygel2

Finally got the ER/PR/HER2 results today and grateful to find out I am ER/PR +ve. Looking more likely I will be able to keep it a secret from my Dad.

Michele x

SueW

I didnt tell my children or parents untili could say I have got BC but this is what is going to happen - people found it easier to cope when they knew something woulfd dfinetly be done. 

So glas you have got someone you can talk to and what a relief re chest xray. good luck hun and keep strong x

Mygel2

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the reply.  Hope you're plan is coming together and you are keeping positive.  You are so right about the feeling of relief.  I can now tell the people who should know and hopefully by the end of next week I will have a plan.  The radiologist was fab.  Told him my concerns regarding my chest and he sent me for a chest xray straight away.  Phoned me an hour later to say there was nothing suspicious on it and that I've just had a bad infection that I'm slow to recover from.  Breastcare nurse has phoned this morning to chat and let me know that they will try to get my MRI done early next week and I have an appointment with the surgeon next Friday to discuss the plan.  Still awaiting the ER/PR/HER results as my hospital has to send them away for testing - hopefully they will be back by Monday.  Have chosen not to tell my Dad anything at the moment, I think it will be too much for him as my Mum died from cancer when she was 41 (not breast) and I think it would bring it all back for him.  I have a lovely step-mum, have told her and she agrees we keep Dad in the dark for the mo.  The bosses at work know and are being very supportive.  So all in all it's not so bad. 

Michele xxx

SueW

Hi Mygel 

As weird as it is knowing is a relief of sorts as you know what you are dealing with. Dont get me wrong I have known for a week today (though i sort of new 10 days before but was waiting for confirmation)  and still trying to get my head around it but i know what will be happening for me to beat this and having a focus and timescale etc really has helped.  Good luck x

Mygel2

Official diagnosis today.

Hi all, nice to meet you (kind of Smiley Happy).

Had my biopsy last Tuesday, get my results officially today.  Already know result as I work in the hospital and had a sneaky look at my report, know it's cancer but the Her2/ER/PR results weren't back. I know .......... bad Mygel!

It wasn't a shock.  Have known something was wrong with me for a year due to various health issues.  No lump by the way, this was picked up on a mammogram.

So today I find out how bad/good the situation is.  Unfortunately have had a bad chest since a few days after my call back, now in it's 4th week. Not responded to antibiotics or steroids so have a bad feeling it is already in the lungs.  Hoping I can persuade them to do a chest xray pretty sharpish.

So 3.10pm is my appointment and my world officially changes ...... weird feeling!

Mygel x