Ok here it goes...

Firstly thank you all so much for takin the time to read my post.
I’m just gonna put down my exp so far because if i do more than that I’ll probably end up cryin again lol.

I was at physical therapy on Good Friday and my therapist noticed some swelling between my collar bone and the top of my left breast (he works on my shoulder so i’m required to strip down to my bra). After he said this to me i kicked him out of his treatment room and done a quick breast exam and found what i think is a lump on my left breast. The lump is left of my nipple and more in line with my armpit if that makes any sense. Also i have had persistent pain, of a dull ache in nature the last six or so weeks as well as discharge from the left nipple the last 3 weeks or so. I have been to see my gp and she has said that she cant’ feel a lump per say but that there is definite swelling and thickening of the breast in that area and that because it is so close to the muscle wall (the lump) she can’t be one hundred percent that it is/is not a lump. However she has refereed me onto the breast cancer clinic and sent the referral by fax while i was still with her. It can take anything up to 8 weeks to see the consultant in the breast clinic in my area (I’m resident in Ireland). My Gp did say that it wasn’t’ urgent as in i didn’t need to go straight in but that she wants me seen as early as possible because she is concerned. When i asked her why she is so concerned she told me that breast cancer is now showing up more and more in women of my age(I’m 30 so didn’t really think it was a possibility as i’m not in the high risk factor age wise) and with alot more frequency as well.
Because of what my gp said to me last Thursday I find I am now turning into a paranoid nut case (or feel like i am anyway). I have had lumps before but they were always either swollen milk glands or infections due to the milk glands and I’ve never been referred to the clinic previous to this, i’m usually just given a dose of anti-inflamatories or anti-biotics. I know all i can do is wait, but the waiting is killing me, I’d rather just know what it is so i can figure out where to go from here and what needs to be done, as i am a single mum and am more worried about my kids than myself.

Anyhow sorry for the looonnnggg ramble, I guess i just needed but it out there in the hopes it will calm me down a bit.

So once again thank you very much for reading this mini novel and i hope you are all doing ok with what ever stage you are at, be it the waiting or anything else.

Thumby xoxoxo

I also forgot to mention that the nipple has become sunken, that’s the best way i can think to describe it. Even when it’s cold the nipple will become erect but it sill looks like it’s resting IN the aureola as opposed to pointing completely out from it.

Hi Thumby

Firstly welcome to the forums, I’m sorry to read you’re having a tough time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime if you need some extra support maybe it would help to talk to a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Thumby,

I am so glad you have seen the GP. I think you definitely did the right thing there it can be so hard to take that 1st step. It is a very positive step so well done to you.

It is a pity you cannot be seen sooner, 8 weeks is a long time, to be wondering and waiting. Is there any way you can hurry it along, as you may well know it is a much shorter wait in the UK, which I do think makes it easier even if it is not the news we want.

As you have had, I had many lumps,bumps, in my 30’s -all was benign. Now in my early 50’s I have developed bc , with no actual lump, more of what they call ‘thickening’. I am also a single Mum and I do know about that worry too. Without knowing the policy in Ireland for referring it is difficult to help, but is there a nurse at the breast clinic you could talk with? Whilst you wait?

If not keep posting on here as there are many lovely ladies who will offer a listening ear, or advice. Perhaps you could also ring the helpline here.

Best wishes and a little hug to keep you a bit stronger

WS xx

Hey Wintersocks

Thanks for replying. I am so sorry that you ended up being dx after been told you had nothing to worry about so many times in the past.
The eight week wait to be seen in the clinic is the longest wait time. My doc wants me to be seen sooner than that but the appointments are priortised by the clinic oncologist based on the gps referal and the symptoms presented with, so i suppose in a way the longer wait i have the less i should concerned. I should recieve notification by post within the next two weeks, hopefully the appointment wont be to far away from that.
I have to admit though and this what convinced me to post last night, the changes to my nipple have become more pronounced and there is a distinctive difference between the now.
I have told my parents and my cloest friends, bless them they are doing their best to reassure me that i’ve nothing to worry but they refuse to even consider that maybe i should be worried. I’m the kinda person that i need to talk/plan for all outcomes, it helps me keep my mind occupied and calm so its kinda frustrating when they cant talk about, which i understand of course, but it leaves me with no where to vent so to speak.

Hope you’re doing good today and thanks again.
Sending ya hugs…
Thumby xx