Older sister, younger sister and now me !

Found a lump on right breast about a month ago… doctor said not to worry he didnt think it was anything but sent me for a check anyway.  The lump on the right WAS nothing but the mammagram showed something suspect on the the left !! The biopsy confirmed it was ’ invasive ductal carcenoma’  last Wednesday. My older sister had breast cancer 14yrs ago, my younger sister had Ovarian cancer 5yrs ago and  we found the hardest thing is telling people so I want everyone to know - I HAVE BREAST CANCER!! (brave talk eh?? lol)

My older sister died and Dad died in Feb but my younger one survived and will be a great support.

I want support not sympathy and  will take all the help I can get to fight this thing.

I have read some of the other stories and know mine isnt the worst that can happen, my surgeon is lovely and I have every faith in her -  so here goes the fight.  xx :smileyhappy:

Hi Fischa,

You will find alot of lovely ladies on here and alot of support. I had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal on March 31st and I am about to begin chemo on 29th. I was diagnosed with IDC stage 2a.

Try not to let the family history regarding cancer worry you too much, I know it is difficult. My father was one of 10 and 8 have all passed away with all different types of cancer and my consultant assures me this is not something to get anxious about. They all lived to a good old age and three were lung cancer due to excessively heavy smoking.

I am so sorry to hear of your sister and father, it must have been distressing for you. My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer 17 years ago and still going strong today at 87.

My family unit word of the year is positivity and when I told my two daughters, we went to Woburn Safari park the following day just to chill out as a family. Take one day at a time and keep busy :slight_smile: xx Ruth xx

Hi Fisha

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

As well as the support you are receiving on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Fisha I have a similar story to you.  My younger sister died of breast cancer three years ago and on the same day my best friend died of breast cancer.  Both had different types once considered very aggressive and other more moderate if that makes sense.  I honestly never thought for one moment that I would become a victim of this disease however last year it did.  I found it very hard talk about it as I thought I could see morbid sympathy in people’s eyes when I told them.  Basically it made me become quite reclusive for a good period however I have moved on from this.  I now take each day as it comes and focus on my treatment which I am old has positive outcomes. There is nothing I can do.  My sister died twenty years after her initial dx my friend fourteen years.  They both had recurrence in the same year and as I said died on the same day.  | think of them everyday and miss them.  Take all the support you can get as I know that my sister and friend would have been a great support to me but unfortunately they cant.  Good luck.

hi fisha , my mum had breast cancer and passed away in 1997 and my 2 sisters have breast and now me . its a big shock when you get told but im not letting it beat me . stay strong and positive and take each day at a time .  i had my lumpectomy yesterday so still sore but its a step forward in the right direction x

Hi Fisha,

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I am just over a week post op, and starting to heal, but now starting to think towards my results appointment which I am dreading. I have had a nagging feeling since the beginning of the year that something was up, if that makes sense. Anyway didn’t expect this as had no lump. My dad had breast cancer almost 15 years ago, he found out the same week I gave birth to my first son. 15 years ago BC in men was not really known about there were less than 200 diagnosed in the UK! He had a full mastectomy and 19 nodes removed. He was told by his surgeon it was very aggressive. 15 years later and he is still here and has been a big help through this. He is the only person other than on this forum who completely gets it when I say all the things I am feeling. I know he has had his own demons to deal with over the years…not least dealing with a predominantly female disease, I think it was very isolating for him. Things have come a very long way in that relatively short time. I have found this forum to be a lifeline of support. The waiting is the hardest part, and trying to quiet the constant chatter in my head is almost impossible! But on here there is so much support. Best of luck to you. Xxx