Oncologist Appointment post RADS

Hi,

I have just finished all my treatment, and am not celebrating as i thought i would. Too be honest i am more scared now than before!!!

I am triple negative so no further treatment - just a wait and see period of 3 years…

I have an oncologist appointment on the 10th march - which i assume is just going to be a review of my treatment. Does anyone know what usually happens on these appts? is it normal to offer scans? Will i have regular scans throughout the next 3 yrs of my life? will i be given any literature of what symptons to look out/check for spread?

As you can tell, panicking slightly over this wait!! any one with any coping strategies? (sp)

Thanks,
Corinne

Hi Corinne

You may find the BCC publication ‘Your follow up after breast cancer’ helpful to read whilst you await replies, here’s the link :

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/treatment-and-side-effects/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/98/

Take care
Lucy

Hi Corinne

well finishing treatment is a milestone but you are not on your own with the feeling of not shouting from the roof tops about it. I too am 3xneg and I think from speaking to others it depends on your onc. I see my Breast surgeon and Onc I did every 3 months at the start. I had a mamo just after the anniversary of dx and have had one since that. My Onc is of the opinion that you shouldn’t have routine scans. Though my Breast sugeon has sent me for an MRI and a CT scan when there seemed to be a problem.

I meet up with a few girls I have met on here, some 3xneg some not and i find comfort in the reassurance that BC and its treaments take it toll on our bodies and minds and I am not going potty.

feel free to PM me. I read a good book called ‘Take off your Party Dress’ by Dina Rabinovitch. which i found inspiring.

I recently told someone that at the start of all this I had this thought in my head that i would get to the end and ‘get better’ but only after being through it all I realise that I am not longer the same ‘me’ and i think it is that, I at times struggle with more than anything.

take care Rhian xx

I am triple neg and am now 4 and a half years post dx.I now have a yearly mammo after which I see my surgeon and I see the oncologist 6 months later so I see ‘someone’ every 6 months and have been told this will continue indefinitely.At onc appt he examines me and asks if there are any concerns-I have full blood teats including tumour markers on alternate visits.I dont want scans unless I have symptoms [was offered CT but said no thanks]I dont want all the extra radiation-time enough for investigation if I have symptoms.
I think all we tn people can do is be vigiland and be aware that our risk of recurrence,while quite high for first 3 years gradually decreases till eventually it is lower than those with +++ bc.

Valxx