Oncotype DX Test

Hi, I was diagnosed with a stage 1 tumour at the end of November, found to be 4cm when I had my WLE. I’m lymph node -ve and ER +ve and borderline for needing chemo. My consultant thinks that I should have the Oncotype DX test which is used at lot in the US and predicts benefit from chemo. BUPA won’t pay out so I need to decide if I’m going to fund it myself. Has anyone else had the test, do you trust the results and most importantly has anyone else had their health care company pay out for it. Would love to hear any info as I cant find much about it on UK web sites and am terified of having chemo!!!

Hi, I asked for the oncotype dx test last year when I was diagnosed with two Grade 3, Er+ Pr+ Her2+ ductal carcinomas. I had clear nodes and had a mx. My onc. said it wasn’t available. It would have been very useful for my chemo decision, so I asked if I could pay for it but was told no.
In the end I decided against chemo and wasn’t pressed on the matter as benefits were not massive as I am a good candidate for hormone treatment.
On another web discussion I saw this topic come up and was told by other patients that the test is available for nhs patients at the Royal Marsden hospital in London. Haven’t checked this out as it’s out of date for me. I feel I’ve taken the right decision, I hope thi s is of help to you. Good Luck x

My understanding is that the accuracy of Oncotype DX is still being tested. It looks as if it is a promising step forward in personalised treatment but until the studies have concluded all of the women who are using it in the US are basically guinea pigs.
In my opinion there is no harm in taking it as long as other key prognostic factors (e.g. extent of lymphovascular invasion) are taken into consideration and patients are aware that it isn’t, by any means, infallible.

There’s an american support website called breastcancer.org which I look at from time to time and the Oncotype test is referred to very often there. AS far as I can see it is used almost all thro the US for ER+ cancer. Maybe someone on that site could help you further.

Macc