One year and 4 months post surgery

I have just registered into the site and I am looking at the various subjects that are being discussed within the forums. I am also a registered nurse diagnosed with stage 3 triple neg. breast cancer in November 2007. I have often thought that it doesn’t help to be a nurse at all, during surgery/treatment and now. But I believe a little knowledge is not a dangerous thing, I’m as frightened as anybody else is, I’m waiting for my first mammogram follow up result and I’m so glad to find that all I have been reading on this wwebsite tells me for sure that I’m the same as anyone else and I am so grateful for all the support I feel is coming my way from other sufferers of cancer, thank you so much everybody for contributing to the forums, I feel so much better, it’s incredible.

Hi all triple negatives

In May 2006 I was diagnosed as Triple Negative. Now almost 3 years post surgery. Feel wonderful at the moment after undergoing breast reconstruction in November 2008. Keep up the thread.

Anniemay

I too am a nurse and was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer six years ago and am currently NED. I think being a nurse has made it harder at times - I just want to bury my head in the sand sometimes like everybody else.Good luck with your mammogram results

best wishes

Anne

PS - Please explain the p1a2t3r4 thing - have been looking at it for ages and can’t figure it out!

Hi girls, like you I am also an ex nurse, diagnosed in 2006, triple negative. Had surgery , chemo and rads. I agree our knowledge can make things harder for us, specially as we have no safety blanket to fall back on:-(
The fear is always in the back ground, as are the what ifs, now I try to make the most of life, and live it to the full

AnnieE, try taking the numbers away from the p1a2t3r4 thing :slight_smile: I think I spent too much time on the pc <bg></bg>

Good luck for your follow ups that are due soon, I have just seen my surgeon, who was happy, and I have a mammo due in April.

Marge

Hi - I’ve just seen my BS and he said my tumour was “not very positive” for hormones - I couldn’t get him to be more specific, ie whether it’s actually triple-neg, but he said, “so I’m recommending you for chemo rather than hormone therapy.” I guess I’m going to have to wait until I see the oncologist to get more information. As I understand it, the risks are higher initially, but after three-four years are actually a lot lower…?

Well I am an ex teacher also dx triple neg in 2006 I had WLE,chemo and rads and so far so good[2cm,grade2]I think this section is an excellent idea because we do need to support each other as we have no 'safety net’after initial treatment,It is encouraging to meet others who are coping with the fear.
love Valxx

Just found this information: medscape.com/viewarticle/569483

Hi All,

1 year on, where did it go?, waiting for my mammogram appointment and feeling very nervous, breast looks like it’s changing, anyone had the same?, looks/feels dimpley under my breast and the nipple gone very pale coloured to the other one, wearing a comfy bra but it makes me feel sore later in the day if it’s pressing on the lymph scar.

I had 2cm ductal carcinoma, triple neg HER2, 8 nodes but none infected thankfully, no further treatment or drugs but after reading the symptoms of others who are on drugs I am quite happy!.

I feel quite tearful at times and I am not normally like this, the waiting for the appointment is killing me!.

Love to you all.

Carol x

i am also a nurse and triple neg. my first cancer was er + 3yrs ago amd diagnosed with TNBC last month at age 40.

i think being a nurse has meant i wanted to find out more and also be able to suss out what is dross and what is valid research compared to some people who get terrified at everything that gets over sensationalised by the press

suzanne that article is interesting as my BS told me that my cancer was basal like however when i saw the onc she said it was similar to basal but couldnt be classified as that although it was positive for both cytokeratin 5 and 6.

carol hope you are ok.