71729members
376313posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One year since initial diagnosis...and life is good.

13 REPLIES 13
debs66

Re: One year since initial diagnosis...and life is good.

Hi Carrie
just wanted to say a big thank you for your message. I am still undergoing treatment, but am having a really bad time coming to terms with what the future holds. I am so scared, worrying about whether the bc will return, how will I cope mentally with that worry and will I be able to just get on with life with some sort of normality once this is all over. this is probably quite common with most girls. You made me realise that i can be positive and life will go on, so i wish you all the best and enjoy your trip, and many thanks.
deb x

santitos

Hi everyone,

I too, like Carrier was diagnosed with breast cancer HERs 2+ in January 2007, and as Carrie said I was devestated I didn't know what to expect or think. The first two weeks following my diagnosis were tough as all I did was cry at night when everyone else slept as I didn't want my two girls to see their mom cry. During those two weeks I realized that I had two options, option one to lock myself up in my room and let the cancer take over my life or take control of the situation and beat the disease and that's what I did.

My journey with cancer has given me a different perspective of life. I think that sometimes we unintentionally take life for granted not realizing that life is a gift that can be revoked at anytime. I have learned to appreciate everyday I wake up and be greatful to our lord for allowing me another day in this world. In going through this journey I have become a stronger person mentally, physically and most importantly spiritually! I believe that our lord won't give us more than what we can handle and that if we believe in him and leave it to him he will walk by us and not let us down!

So for all you women out there, NEVER lose hope, believe and you will over come any ailment!

Weetricia1

Carrie,
It's so good to read such a lovely positive post from someone who has reached the 1st year landmark.I read your post when I was first diagnosed (before I started to post myself).
I hope you have a fab holiday and continue to keep well.
Tricia

dipstick

Carrie, thankyou so much for your post and encouragement. no. 4 chemo on 25th of eight!!!!!!!! but as you say the day will come when I (all of us) can look back and say thankyou goodness we have done it. Time is slow at the moment, still lots to have done but nearly no.4, cant be bad. This time next year hopefully will be done and dusted... so thankyou for your comments and I eagerly look foreward to where youand others are.

Hugs
Chris (dipstick)xxxxxxx

Pheebster

Wow,...some food for thought there. I am trying to take one hurdle at a time and your post has just made me realise that I am getting through this in the best way.

I am sure I will come back and read that post again if ever I have a 'bad day' just to get me back on track.

Thanks and also congratulations on having such a positive attitude. Enjoy Os too x

Guardianangel

What a lovely positive post!

Thank you Carrie!

It's nice to know that the good vibes do come back.

As to you liking yourself with short hair - am jealous as I look like a boy!
K x

Normski

Agree with all the sentiments above, a reflection of my own. Those of us 'lucky' enough to be at this stage cannot help but feel we have reached a milestone. I for one am looking forward not back.

Good luck and hugs to those still going through it and those who are not as fortunate.

x

junieliz

Hi Carrie, what a lovely post and an uplift for us all going through our treatments and to know it will all be worth it in the end. Yes I agree with you we all have moments when the tears fall, but then we have to dust ourselves down and get on with the life we have been given, we cannot change it but we can as you have done move on. Thank you so much your lovely post it has given me hope and I hope it does to all our friends on here. Have a lovely holiday you deserve it well done love junieliz

valderie1

Hi Carrie and Everyone

I agree with Walton what a lovely post! I too am one year on following WLE, chemo and rads and yes it is hard at times and the niggles are there BUT I look forward to getting on with my life and will face up to whatever comes my way. I treat each day as it comes and grateful for the support of family and friends. Thinking of all you lovely ladies who are in the middle of treatment - you will get through it!

I have found this website invaluable even though I don't post very often.

Valx

EmilyJane

carrie
hey there...congratulations on the one year mark! You are a sterling example of why this site works. Coming back to the forum a year later to give us all hope is the essence of why this forum works so well. It is not so much the site, although it is well done, it is the people who care so much like yoursefl.

I hope you have a wonderful and refreshing holiday in Australia...many hugs!!!

Emily
XXX

DawnCr

Hi Carrie,
I have also just finished after being dx in July 07 and would like to say I echo your sentiments exactly, life is now good and the months of appointments, rads, 3 ops and chemo are in the past and I am moving on to new and exciting things.
I have new very different hair and am trying to work out abit and get back to the size I was before, i dont think I can blame it on the tamoxifen, I seem to have gained weight since the chemo, but really it does not worry me so I am going out to enjoy myself, and a holiday in OZ is just what my OH and I were thinking of doing next year. I had one node affected like you and wondered how you got on with travel insurance, about how much was it if you dont mind me asking.
Many thanks
Dawn X

naunamh

Carrie,

Thankyou. It is wonderful to hear from someone who has got through all this and is ready to go forward.
I wish you much happiness.

Margaret

walton

Hi Carrie
What a lovely message,and so pleased you have got to the 12mth stage,I hope you enjoy your long break in Australia.
MY Bc hasn't been to bad I was lucky really and only had to have a lumpectomy 3wks rads and arimidex for 5yrs.
But yes i was still as scared before dx.and the waiting was one of the worst times of my life.And yes it does pass through my mind that it may come back,
but worrying about it won't stop it and its taken 3mths of my life it ain't having anymore of my time.
I wish you all the best for the futurexxxxx

carriemitch

One year since initial diagnosis...and life is good.

Hi everyone

I wanted to write a general note to everyone who has been newly diagnosed. I was diagnosed a year ago, grade 2, 1 lymph node,her 2+ and er+. It was absolutely devastating as you all know, the waiting, the hearing test results, hearing people talk in statistics about my life, hearing scary words like chemo and radiotherapy and herceptin. I just thought, how am I going to get through this.. it was a nightmare and I thought I would never wake up. Everything passed in a blur up to christmas, just appointment after appointment, treatment, then results, then more treatment then results... and I started on chemo... just ticked them off... won't lie by saying it was a walk in the park, it certainly wasnt for me but we are all so different. I found other women tolerated chemo better than others. You don't know which camp you will fall into... but one thing we all did have in common... we all found amazing support on this site, we all knew we'd get our questions answered eventually, even if we posted at 3 in the morning because we couldn't sleep, someone would always get back to you.. and there was always someone worse off, or someone who would put your mind at rest when you had fears about various aches, pains, nausea, panic etc... Before I knew it really, I had all my chemos behind me... and my hair started growing back and life gradually started to get back to normal. BC wasn't the only thing I thought about anymore. Now a year down the line, I can honestly say it has flown by.. it has undoubtedly been the darkest and most challenging year of my life. But with good friends and an amazingly supportive family (I learned to ask and receive help - a big thing for me!) I am just about through the other end. I am going to take myself off on a long extended holiday to Australia and I am never ever going to look back. The year hasn't all been bad though.. I've learned things about myself I like, I have resilience and still retain my sense of humour.. I like myself with short hair, it makes me look younger... but more than anything, I just feel as if I am ready to take life by the horns again and eek every bit of joy out of living that I can. I will not worry about what happens tomorrow and if it will come back... ( I mean I will, obviously, we all have our moments...) but I won't dwell on the what ifs.. I'll just let them pass because nothign is going to get in the way of my good days! And so I just wanted to say that I know some of you are probably in the depths of worry and despair right now, just like I was... and you can't see a way through... and you just feel so empty and scared... I just really want you to know that you will come through the other end and you will get your lives back. Wishing anyone out there with a new diagnosis, lots of love and strength and positivity and reassurance that you will be OK, so many of us are. Love, Carrie xx