Ongoing Seroma Caused By Fat ?

Had seroma since mastectomy in January 2010, so was operated on to try and sort this out in March 2011. Unfortunately, although the surgeon has done a fantastic job, and the mastectomy site and loose skin is nice and flat, I still have a seroma (unfortunately it’s slightly worse, and they are now draining off 260 mls every week).
Anyway, I asked why I might have this problem, and doctor said it can be caused by being too fat !!!
I didn’t think I was that fat, as I’m 5ft 8’ and weigh 10st 5lbs,(my remaining breast is only an a cup).
Has anyone else heard this theory ?. I do think that fat around my middle may have contributed to my BC, because fat cells around the midriff can become oestrogen producers in middle aged women - thinking I need to go on a serious diet now.

Hi,

I had seroma quite badly approx 4 months after my mx.

The breast surgeon told me mine was due to the fact that i have rheumatoid arthritis. RA make your immune system very overactive and tried to fight the implant - they thought the implant had burst in the first instance as there was so much fluid!!!

They took loads of fluid from me but it did eventually settle down, and now my mx is a lot smaller than the other side. hope yours will settle too.

I am a lot heavier than you, but carry my weight round my thighs, they didnt mention at anytime this had anything to do with my weight, but i am tn so not effected by hormones.

Sorry couldnt answer your question, but i am sure someone will be along soon who has heard of this…

Corinne

Well you certainly DON’T look fat in your profile picture, I am 5’5" and weigh 11 stone and although I am a bit wobbly in places I wouldn’t consider myself fat.

I haven’t heard of this theory, however I have had a seroma since 2007 and I do have quite a fat tummy! perhaps this is why then. sorry to hear that your seroma has returned. we are leaving mine where it is for now, as it has ‘filled the space’ left by my WLE and doesn’t cause any discomfort.

Hi Lemongrove,
So sorry it doesn’t seem to be working. You are most definitely not fat!!
Hope everything else is ok, will catch-up soon.
Love Julie x

Hi Lemongrove

Your not fat!!!

My surgeon said seromas are caused mainly by the lymphatic system working a way round the missing lymph glands and it could take several months for your body to get used to the new you.x

Love xxxx

Oh my god im porky i shall watch out for that after the op, havent really got time to lose much of the chemo weight before surgery.