Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ooherectomy

8 REPLIES 8
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Ooherectomy

QORT

Good to hear this is a useful thread for you. Do message me if you have any questions about the op/recovery, happy to share experiences if it helps.

To reiterate what has been said already, an oophorectomy is not an alternative to endocrine therapy so you'll probably find yourself still being prescribed tamoxifen or an aromatase inhibitor.

Guest user
Not applicable

Finding this thread really interesting and useful
I was recently referred to a gynaecologist because of discomfort in my lower abdomen and a tiny bit of bleeding which sometimes happens after I have sex. I have had a hysteroscopy ( he found fibroids, polyps and an ovarian cyst)
I went back to see the gynaecologist this afternoon ...the biopsies on the polyps were ok.... no sign of cancer.
He has some concern that the cyst is larger than he would expect to find on a woman my age (52) and wants to rescan it in three months....but he has suggested the possibility of an oopherectomy
My knee jerk reaction is YES ...take it, take anything that produces hormones..... but I hate the thought that I would possibly come off Tamoxifen
I had hoped my appt today would result in me being able to put a line under this recent blip but my head is just buzzing...think I'm in for another sleepless night!
X

JulieD
Community Champion

Hi,
I opted to have an ooph part way through my tamoxifen treatment more as a kind of insurance policy tactic really. It was an easy op and didn't take long to recover. However, it was never meant as an alternative to Tamoxifen, true the ooph changes the amount of hormones produced but Tamoxifen acts as a block and AIs are used for postmeno women, so I think you are likely to find yourself on some kind of hormone treatment if you are hormone pos.
Good luck, Julie x

Herbi your still get tamox or an AI.... Most folk don't get very bad symptoms from tamox so I'd say give it a go and see how you get on.... I was on tamox of or about 3-4 years before my ooph.... Tamox SEs much milder than SEs from ooph.

You can always opt for ooph later but you can't put your ovaries back in if you hate the ooph!

If your hormone positive and pre meno then normal treatment is 5 years tamox.... If post meno then normal treatment is AIs or tamox followed by AI.

Having an ooph does not negate the need for hormone therapy... Been on the wine so this maybe doesn't make sense.

Lulu xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Oestrogen is also produced by fat in the body - that is why being fat is a risk factor for breast cancer.

oophorectomy will only prevent oestrogen production from ovaries. Post-menopause or post-oophorectomy your body will still produce oestrogen and that's what aromatase inhibitors (e.g. letrozole) are designed to inhibit.

Incidentally, Tamoxifen is not an Aromatase Inhibitor.

Guest user
Not applicable

PS just did some online searches - the adrenal glands produce androgens which can be changed to oestrogen by the action of something called aromatase which comes from fat cells. Tamoxifen and related drugs are aromatase inhibitors, which means that they block this conversion to oestrogen.
I think I'll do my best to take it. As I said, you can make a decision when you get the facts from your ONC.
K

Guest user
Not applicable

Herbi,
My menopause was four years ago and I'm still going to have Tamoxifen after chemo and rads even though I am only mildly er+. Even without functioning ovaries I think the body can use fat cells to produce oestrogen.
I know we all feel we've had a lifetime of medication in these past few months but if Tamoxifen doesn't agree with you they have other drugs from the same family that your GP can try you with. It really does seem to be a life saver so talk it over with your ONC before making any decision.
Hope you feel ok after chemo today.
Love,
Kathleen

Hi Herbi,
I had an oophrectomy three days after my BC diagnosis due to an ovarian cyst. My BC is ER+ so I asked them to remove both ovaries which they did.
My Oncologist said that it was up to me whether or not I took the Tamoxifen as the ooph will have done the job.
I am taking Tamoxifen at the moment with few if any side effects but know that if I don't tolerate it very well then it would not make a lot of difference if I stopped taking it.
(I was 45 and premenopausal at the time. A year ago now.)
Best wishes,
Kate x

Ooherectomy

Hi all,
I am due to start tamoxifen after I finish my chemo but was wondering if anyone had opted for an ooopherectomy? I,m 44, and chemo so far has sent me menopausal . Would it mean I could avoid tamoxifen ? I really hate the whole tablet taking thing,
Any opinions would be usefu,
Herbi x