Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oophorectomy

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted

Re: Oophorectomy

Hi Emma, for give me as I bullet point.

1) surgeon told me that removal of ovary tissue removes the oestrogen producing tissue. Superior to shutting them down with drugs.

2) surgery was a piece of cake! I've had worse fillings! 

3) do everything you can to keep the cancer at bey!

good luck x

Highlighted

Hi there, I had an oncologist appointment today to review the hormone therapy I started in August.  I'm 37 and had a local recurrence earlier this year and had mastectomy with DIEP reconstruction followed by chemo.  As the recurrence happened whilst taking tamoxifen, I've now been put on the monthly injections of zoladex and also taking exemesthane.

At my review today, I discussed the side effects of the hormone therapy which is mainly achy joints, mood swings and hot flushes which are obviously the menopausal symptoms kicking in.  The oncologist told me that they generally get to a peak about 8 weeks after starting them and should now reduce and advised me on taking glucosamine to help with the joints.  However, she did say that if I was finding the zoladex and side effects too much, I could think about getting my ovaries removed.

I was quite surprised at this being suggested so early on as I thought this would be a last resort sort of thing.  But the cynic in me wondered if its a new cost cutting idea due to the injections being very expensive.  Anyway, I wondered what the benefits might be as I'm assuming I will still suffer the menopausal effects similar to what I am now.  My partner said that it seemed like a good idea as my ovaries are now redundant and its the hormone they produce that helped my cancer grow and also return.  But my initial thoughts are that its quite a drastic solution and do I want another operation.  Also can I have keyhole surgery if my reconstruction was a DIEP as this means my abdomen has already suffered quite a bit already!

Sorry for all the questions!  Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Emma xx

Highlighted

Jackpot! X
Highlighted

Hi, for anyone considering oophorectomy I just want you to know that my Op on weds went well just as everyone who posted support to me said (thank you). I stayed in overnight and my stomach area felt a bit uncomfortable the next couple of days ( but was on painkillers). I am now off the painkillers and feeling fine although I am taking it easy (good excuse to watch crap tv and stuff chocolate!!) I am just so relieved to have got it over with so I know that is helping my recovery. The treatment I had at my local hospital was excellent throughout.

Best wishes to you all.xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi
Just to add my experience. Back in 2008 when I was first diagnosed with secondary BC I asked to have an oopherextomy. Because of problems with my heart I couldn't have a general anaesthetic and so couldn't have my ovaries surgically removed, I therefore had them ablated with radiotherapy, about 5 short blasts. This is an option if surgery isn't right for you. If anyone wants details, again, please PM me.
Nicky x

Highlighted

Hi, yes .....please PM me.x
Highlighted

Hi Kazza123, I was diagnosed with BC in 2001 age39 and then with secondaries in 2012, can I pm you for a chat ? Have considered oophorectomy but originally was told not a good idea as it could spread the cancer that's already there.

Highlighted

Hi ladies, thanks for all the positive posts they make me feel much better about the Op. Unfortunately it was cancelled due to lack of beds. It is now rescheduled for 4th February. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again and best wishes to you all.xxx
Highlighted

Kazza I had mine out 5 years ago at age 46. The op was a doddle, just felt like I had done some sit ups and a bit bloated for few days. As for hot sweats they were no worse than I was having due to chemo. I hate dentists too and given the choice I would choose the op lol. Good luck for tomorrow x

Highlighted

Hi Kazza, I had mine out 4 weeks ago, after 6 months on Zoladex. No change to hot flushes, small scars, abdo pain fir a week (like bad period pain or 200 sit ups too many). The op was a breeze and no more gigantic Zoladex needle! You're welcome to PM me any questions (I don't check the threads often). Good luck, Sarah
Highlighted

Hi , thanks for the post. You don't know what a help that has been. Thank you. X
Highlighted

Hi.  I had my ovaries out New Years Eve last year and I was fine.  I had the op in the morning and I was home by 2pm and at a New Year's Party that night (didn't make it to midnight).   It was key hole surgery which left 3 scars which are now faded.  I am aged 47 and hit the change head on but it was not as bad as I expected.  Good luck for your operation. X

Highlighted

Have just added you.x
Highlighted

Can you friend me so I can chat in private?
Highlighted

Hi Ethel, thanks very much for that. I don't much like going to the dentist so am very reassured by your message!!!! Just want it over and done with now. I was on tamoxifen originally but was switched to anastrazole and zoladex last Nov. This will stop me having the zoladex so one less monthly trip to the Drs which is good. Hope things are going well for you.xxx
Highlighted

Hi I had an oopherectomy because they wanted to put me on letrozol as tamoxifen had failed and they weren't 100% sure I had gone through the menopause???? In terms of the operation I can honestly say I've had worse teeth extractions. I drove home and never thought about it again. I did experience a few hot flushes more than before but I'm hoping this is a good sign. Good luck it will be nothing in the scheme of things. Ethel x
Highlighted

Its 100% the right thing to do! And it makes the world of difference to knock those little oestrogen machines out!

I am on a hormone treatment now that is pretty much doing the same thing - removing any excess oestrogen out of the body-but just by tablet rather than surgery-as I am that much older and properly post menopausal 55!!

Very best of luck-you will be fine! 🙂

Take care and look forward to hearing how it went!!

Mowser xxx 

Highlighted

Hi Mowser, thanks for the reply...that's just the sort of thing I need to hear. I am 48 was originally diagnosed with bc at 34 then secondary's at 46. I just keep trying to reassure myself it's the right thing to do and Hoping I won't have other probs to deal with once it's over plus I am also hoping they won't find anything suspicious when they actually do the op. I know it's just pre op nerves starting to kick in. I keep telling myself it's the right thing to do as my onc recommended it and I trust him a million percent. However, ultimately it's my decision to go ahead with it.

Thanks again for your reply. Will let you know how it goes.

Sorry for all the me me me....I hope things are going well for you.xxx
Highlighted

Hi Kazza,

I myelf have not had ovaries removed, (not sure how old you are) but I do know a friend who had to have them removed and she was fine afterwards! Of course there is the usual post op stuff, but it really is a relatively quick and simple operation, so recovery should not be too bad. depending on your age, the psychological aspects could be harder to come to terms with, but if this treatment is guaranteeing you many many years of health and happiness in the future, it is much easier to deal with that!

Good luck, I will be thinking of you, let us know how it goes....

Mowser xxx

Highlighted

Oophorectomy

Hi, I haven't posted for ages but often read the posts here as they are very helpful and soooooo help me feel not alone with this. I was diagnosed with bone secondaries 2 years ago. I have been on zoladex for a year now and am due to have my ovaries removed on weds. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this done so I know what to expect ie are SEs worse after the op. I currently suffer from hot sweats but they're manageable (or I've got used to them!!) . I am hoping I won't become more emotional as that makes this whole thing even harder to cope with.

Best wishes to you all. Xxx