Oophrectomy

Hi all,
i don’t know if anyone is going thorough this but I would welcome your input…I am 39 years old and I am Braca 1 positive and have had bilateral mastectomies and chemo 2 years ago. My consultant has now told me that I need to have my ovaries removed as a preventative against ovarian cancer. He is willing to give me HRT until I’m 50 but I really can’t get my head around it…
i wondered if anybody else has been through this and if so, who’s was it?
I’m wondering if the HRT really helps as I’m getting married next year.
any input would be gratefully appreciated
thanx
donna

Hello Donna,
I also have a brca1 mutation and after breast cancer twice (2009 and 2012), have just had an oopherectomy and my fallopian tubes removed (assumed this will be the same?). I have just decided to take oestregen to manage the menopausal symptoms which were having an impact on my quality of life. Like you, had some reservations but my oncologist and surgeon shared the view that as the breast cancer was triple negative, and I had had mastecomies, it was safe- and indeed a way of managing some of the longer term helath risks of lack of oestrogen eg bone and heart issues.
I’d say its been a tough road to travel, physically and emotionally - in 4 years I had breast cancer twice and found I had a brca1 mutation. I was scared to have the surgery, but more scared of the cancer! Surgically, its much easier- I was up and about in a week and managed to carefully resume my daily routine. It sounds as though your concern is the HRT?
Does this help? Do you have any specific questions?
Rattles

Hi Rattles,
thankyou for sharing your journey with me. you are right I am more concerned about the after effects of the surgery rather than the surgery itself. I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old as well as a fiance and I am concened about the effects of the menopause on myself and everyone else.
i wonder, would you be happy to share how you are managing currently and what side effects, if any you are having.
thanx
donna

Hi there Donna, I too have a 6 year old. I am 44 now, so a bit older that you.
I suffered the following menopausal symptoms: hot flushes, sweats, joint pain, headaches, vaginal dryness and cystitis (lack of oestrogen in the tissues apparently). Its important to know that everyone is different and you may not get these symptoms but they all feature in the BCC booklet! Until I started ttaking the oestrogen (10 days), I felt very emotional (weepy) and stroppy and irritable- I am usually pretty calm and easy going. To be honest, this was the reason I took the oestrgen as I was worried I was going to get depressed and although I would desribe myself as having mood swings, I feel alot more together. I am sure my GP would make a good case to suggest it was nothing to do with the surgery though and could say it is a reaction to everything I have been through. The joint pain, hotflushes and vaginal dryness has improved though I am still getting headaches and hotflushes and not sleeping well.
Does this answer the question?
I was like you, not too worried about the surgery, just the after-effects.
I saw someone from the menopause clinic to discuss these issues, before I had my surgery, you could do this - it might help you put a plan together if you feel you need it. In fact I think the new NICE guidelines actualy set this down as good practice.
I also take calcium and vit D.
Rattles
PS I don’t regret my decision- although there was no cancer, or pre-cancer, there were unstable cells in the fallopian tubes. Having been through cancer treatment twice, I really felt I had no choice but to have the surgery