Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Op advice

8 REPLIES 8
anxiouswait

Re: Op advice

Hello Somerset,

Thanks for your message. I am really lucky and got such good news yesterday. The margins were clear on the lump they removed and it turned out that it was a fibrodenoma and not a phyllodes tumour. It was totally benign and that's the end of treatment for me. Feel incredibly lucky.

I wanted to say thank you to you and all the other women who contribute on this forum. It's been such a source of support for me over the past couple of months, listening to other voices, getting advice and receiving lovely messages. Thank you all.

xx

somerset

Glad you got back to work - it is good to feel normal.  Hope your follow up today went well and you can now put it all behind you.

anxiouswait

Hello there,

Thanks so much for your note and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My op on the 9th went fine and and I've started back at work again this week. My follow-up appointment is this Thursday so I'm trying to keep my mind busy and think positive! Easier said than done sometimes though. 

I'm so sorry to hear all that you've had to go through but glad to hear that you are out the other end and I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed for you too that that is you sorted! As you say the anxiety and waiting for results are really difficult to deal with and it's hard to not have it just entirely take over your thoughts. 

Yes I agree with you , it's definitely good to be back at work again and feel like things are normal! 

Hope you are well and thanks again. 

somerset

Hi both of you
Anxiouswait - I hope the pre-op went well and they were able to give you an idea of when you will get your results.  Great that your employer will be understanding - you can do without any extra stress.  Pandorra - hope you feel well enough to get back to work when you want to.

My WLE was a while ago - for DCIS identified after routine screening mammogram.  Did not have clear margins so went on to have mastectomy. I had sentinel node biopsy with the mx and it was clear so I thought I could get back to normal.  Couple of months later I found a problem on the other side so mammogram/ultrasound/biopsy - biopsy showed high grade DCIS so second mx (with SNB). Mx revealed invasive cells but nodes were clear. Went on to have more treatment but now out the other end and feeling OK - keeping fingers firmly crossed that it has been sorted out.

I went back to work as soon as I could each time. It gave me something else to think about. I think I was driving about a week after WLE - but I did not have SNB with that - it took a bit longer after mx with SNB (I didn't have reconstructions).  I did short journeys to start with to make absolutely sure I was OK.  I was lucky because I healed up quickly - also did my exercises assiduously which I think helped!  Hope you find you are up to it by the 10th - it is frustrating when you want to get back to normal.

I do hope both of you get good results so you don't have any more ops/waiting for results - I got lots of practice and sadly it does not improve with repetition!  Good Luck.

pandorra1

Hi Somerset, noted that you returned to work pretty quick after a WLE.  That is what I have had, also the sentinel node biopsy, blue boob, on 27th Jane and if ok with driving, hope to get back on 10th Feb.  My results aren't until 20th Feb, so need work to fill my exploding mind!!!  Exercises going ok, did you get back to driving?  How are you now, hope improving lol xxxxx

anxiouswait

Hi there,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

I'm going in for my pre-op assessment tomorrow, so I'll ask them there if they know how long it might take for the results to come through. 

I'm the same, I'm keen to get back to work quickly afterwards to keep my head busy. I'm lucky that I've got an undertstanding employer who I know will be fine, if I take a few days and work from home a few days too. 

Thanks for your best wishes and hope all is well with you.

somerset

Hi

Waiting for results is always stressful but good that your doctor is optimistic.  I have had several experiences of this and time taken seems to vary depending on what they are checking for and probably how busy they are.  Suspect it might vary for different hospitals too. Have you asked them for an idea?

On the recovery time when I had a WLE (which I guess is similar to your op) I was keen to get back to work asap - good distraction from thinking about results.  Op was on Tuesday and I did not work Weds/Thurs. I had to commute and consultant was worried someone might barge into me on crowded train so I worked at home on the Friday and following Monday although I felt fine by then - I was lucky I could work at home for a couple of days.  Went back after that. However I think it is a very individual thing and might depend on how you react to general anaesthetic, how strenuous your job is (or your commute) and just how you feel. Hopefully your employer will be flexible.

Best of luck with the op and with the results. 

Jo_BCC

Hi Anxiouswait

While you are waiting for replies from your fellow forum users I have put for you below the link to BCC's publication for Fibroadenomas which I hope you find helpful.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/benign-breast-conditions/fibroadenoma-bcc72

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

anxiouswait

Op advice

Hello,

I went to the breast clinic last week and after my examination and ultrasound was told that they thought my solid lump was probably a fibrodenoma. They took a biopsy to check it but when I went for my results it has come back as unclear whether it is benign or malignant. The doctor said he thought it might be a phyllodes tumour. 

I'm now booked in for an operation to take the lump out on Monday. 

Does anyone know how long it is after your op that you will find out whether it was benign or malignant? Trying to stay positive as the doctor said either way it was likely that the op was all I would need but feeling scared and worried and imagining the worst. Also, do you know how long it will take to recover after the op? Doctor said I would be in and out on the same day, but not sure how many days it will be before I can go back to work. I'm 32 and feel like every second thought it my head is cancer. 

Thanks