Op cancelled whilst on the table. so upset

I am currently just numb. I was due to have a mx and diep recosntruction yesterday with reduction on the other side. After weeks of worry, stress, and build up to a date I finally thought that yesterday would be the start of me getting better and being cancer free. All preops done and fine, was literally on the table all ready to be wheeled into theatre when the anaesthatist noticed my heart monitor showed a trace that was different to what they had from me so op cancelled. I know it was the safe thing to do blah blah but oh my god, i am just so gutted and just feel in limbo now. I have to have tests on my heart now (even though all the tests they did at the hopsital yesterday were normal) and could be another 6 weeks before they reschedule surgery and now will probably have to look at other options. I just feel like Im back at square one with an added problem. sorry for moaning, i just want to cry and scream

Oh! Karen. How horrendous. You just cry and scream as much as you want. I can’t imagine how you’re feeling at the moment but you do have my utmost sympathy. Knowing that they were doing it with your best interests in mind isn’t really any consolation after the pressure of the build-up to your op. Six weeks seems to be a very long time to have to wait for the rescheduled surgery - I wonder if your GP could put pressure on the hospital to speed things up.

Oh Karen that’s so hard for you. I’m due for mx tomorrow and had heart problems last year so hope same thing doesn’t happen with me. They did do an ECG at pre op and no one has said there is any further concern.
Really hope they get on and get things sorted for you, this whole journey is tough enough without additional delays and stresses.
Sending much love xx

Hi karen,

i know how you must be feeling the same thing happend to me i was due to have recon work done after mx and ld flap had lipofill in june last year and was about to have it done for the second time .went for pre op two days before i was due to have operation but there was a problem with my heart rate so they cancelled my op they sent me straight to my gp but when i was there heart rate was normal hospital wanted another ecg done which i had to wait another 10 days for . i am now waiting to see cardiologist but cant get in untill 20 april so i am in limbo at the moment cant book a holiday or anything and have no idea when they will be able to do operation now . apart from that i have the extra worry of what problem i have with my heart . hope they sort yours out and you not waiting to long for them to fit you in again its frustrating but better to be on the safe side .best wishes linda

So sorry to hear Karen. I know how it feels pre op and can’t imagine what it’s like to then have it cancelled. BC is a major roller coaster ride without extra dips like that. I hope your doctor can speed things up for you. Sending you virtual hugs.
Tracey
X

Karen, how horrid for you. I know just how awful it is waiting for surgery without having it cancelled at the very last minute. I had a similar situation when an op was cancelled because my blood pressure was high at pre op. Well of course it was high, I was anxious and had spent half an hour trying to find somewhere to park! It was ‘computer said no’ situation, no discretion. Thankfully, my surgeon intervened and said he needed to operate and the benefits of the op outweighed any risk, which he considered minimal. The joke was that they had trouble keeping my blood pressure up during surgery, forget about it being too high! Anyway, sending you a hug and thinking of you. X

Hi Karen

I know it’s not the same but had my first chemo a day before cancelled due to a problem with my heart 5 week ago but I have had my first chemo know after heart scan

thank you so much for your replies. To say I was devastated is an understatement but Im feeling okish about it now. Am now having some tests on my heart and once the results of that are in, I’ll meet with my surgeons and go from there. Just cant help thinking that today would probably have been the day I was coming out of hospital and that it would have all been behind me now! ggrrrrrrrrr Oh well, at least it means Ive been able to spend the easter holidays with the children so we’ll plan some nice things for next week. My op, whatever shape it takes now, will come round soon enough! Thank you again and best wishes to all of you in this waiting game!! xx