Operation cancelled 3 times

Hello all

My reconstruction has now been cancelled 3 times and I am very upset.  I had a mastectomy in September last year and was put forward for my second operation in April this year.  June op was cancelled , so was August.  I was supposed to attend the pre-op today for reconstruction in 2 weeks time.  This was cancelled yesterday.

I understand that I am no longer considered an urgent case, I also know that the NHS has severe funding issues but this is not my problem.  I know from experience the importance of a speedy operation after a cancer diagnosis, but feel that I am constantly being pushed to the back of the queue.  All I want now is to get on with my life and have some sort of symmetry with my breasts.

I have now made an official complaint to PALS at St Georges and am seriously considering a 2nd opinion at another hospital.

Sorry to be a moaner but has anyone else had a similar problem or can recommend another London hospital.

Hi Chris

I am so sorry to read your post, it must be very frustrating for you, our helpliners are on hand with a listening ear if you feel it would help, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Take care

Lucy BCC

I am under surgeon at St Georges, and, from what I can gather, he only does surgery at St Georges on Fridays. I believe he works in a private hospital the rest of the week.

I had to wait 6 weeks for my lumpectomy. I was diagnosed on 16 July but my surgery wasn’t until 30 August. I put this down to the fact that it was August, and even surgeons have to have holidays.

I believe there are only two breast surgeons at St Georges, and the hospital covers a huge area of the south east. Have you asked why there are all these cancellations? I suggest you raise it with your breast care nurse.

Sorry I can’t help further.

Anne