Osteoporosis drugs and suggestion that they reduce chances of cancer spread

There has been quite a lot in the press recently suggesting that the various drugs to help prevent osteoporosis will prevent the spread of breast cancer to the bones, however, it always arrives in sound-bites and my GP seems to read those, knowing no more than I do. Does anyone know whether that is the case only if you begin to take these drugs at the time of diagnosis and assuming that the cancer has not been there for very long? I believe I had BC for up to ten years (a slow-growing but enormous tumour, followed by mastactomy) and at the time of surgery sattelite ‘high signal foci’ were found in my other boob- which, it is hoped, will reduce with letrozole treatment! My question is: “is it not likely that having had cancer for such a long time there is the possibility that some might have spread and is it therefore more likely that in fact osteo treatment will  lock the cancerous cells into the bone?” 

There is so often nobody to ask. Here, in Bristol, patient care was moved to a new building and there is more-or-less no follow-up so we are left to our own devices. I’d be grateful for a scientific view on this.

Hi, this is a silent part of the forum. May be worth reposting elsewhere. Research is always ongoing, and trials report their findings. For something to become mainstream a goid body of evidence has to be presented. There is currently a petition of MPs re this issue, will try to find the link and post it back here :smiley:

This is a link to the lobbying of parliament.

action.breastcancernow.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1777&ea.campaign.id=39928&ea.tracking.id=twitter-btn-share

LL xx