cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our Gang! Come chat!

Silverlady

Re: Our Gang! Come chat!

Hi Elizabeth,

It seemed like I was at the hospital all the time up to my mx, but then the appointments filtered off, to the point where I thought I had been forgotten. Now that I have my chemo start date, it's full on again.

I also love the hats that have buckles and flowers on the side (I've got one with ridges and a buckle). I'm also going to look at some wigs once I have lost my hair.

Silverlady

Oh Lexxy, I'm so sorry the PICC line failed. Do you mind me asking why you were having one in the first place (cause they wouldn't let me have one) and what is a Hickman?
Silverlady

Sarah - I felt so much better once I had seen my Chemo Nurse, she even took me round the ward to show me where I would be having the chemo. We certainly can do it and it won't be long until we are sitting in that wall finished.
Silverlady

Strudel - I love reading about your friend and your chats with her.  Since having BC, all of a sudden people around me know lots of ladies who have had it and are living their normal lives. I found out that my nieces mother-in-law only just finished her chemo last August and is now sporting a very fetching pixie cut and her life is now as good as it was.  I was watching A&E last night and one of the Nurses on there had BC 12 years ago. It's amazing and incouraging just how many ladies have gone on to live their lives with no reoccurrence.  My colleague at work who lives in North Yorkshire had BC when she was 41, she is now 59.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Pam

From what I have read it varies from hospital to hospital, as usual.  I know that am having a review with my oncologist on 7 March which is 4 months after I first saw him.  My bcn told me I would have a clinic apt in Sept/Oct time this year but that I would not have a mammogram until a year April as it is their policy to leave it that long to allow the breast to settle down etc., then I will be having an annual mammogram and clinic apt for the next 4 years after that.

Hope this helps

Helena xxx

ali1961

Hey, Sarah, glad to hear you sounding so cheerful. And Elizabeth, your gp sounds great. Free unperfumed body wash -woohoo.

Lexxie, sorry the PICC line didn't work. Everything crossed for the Hickman appointment. And Strudel, your fab friend is a star. I only know 5 people who have had breast cancer, and 3 died. Hearing about much better outcomes is good for all of us.

Soooo we are in the car, 2/3 of the way to Manchester. Somewhat surprisingly we have boutght a house. Or will have done in the next couple of hours. Updates to follow, probably accompanied by grimy pictures!

Love to all

Ali x
Sallyann43

Hiiii

Strudel - very positive vibes coming through, it's so lovely when we hear about others who have been through what we are going through and still enjoying life years later xx

Thanks for the links susan, I've also sent off for very similar if not the same headwear this morning xx

Well I've been to meet the chemo nurses and I'm feeling so much more positive .. I'm such a scaredy cat, honestly 🙄 But once I've been somewhere and seen it, it all seems so much better ..... the nurses were lovely sooooo roll on next Wednesday at 2.30pm .... we can do this!!! xx

I will be back later as I'm going to see about getting my wig voucher 🙈😏 xxxx
Strudel

Aw Lexxy, sorry about the set back. Fingers crossed it gets sorted. X
Strudel

Love em! I should have got some.

Just spoken to my lovely friend who had BC 6 years ago and is fine. She reeled off another list of people I know (know who they are at least) who had this and I had no idea. Between us we came up with 16 people of our acquaintance. We did lose some of them in the 1990s but since then only one and what I found out today is that that lady was metastatic from the beginning which I hadn't appreciated. So everyone else, the majority, are fine and we're ranging 4-20 years here. And (terrible grammar, apologies but I'm excited) all sorts of BC. The one who's 4 years out had inflammatory BC. Sal says at least two had herceptin. She's not sure of the details of the others as she doesn't know them well enough other than that some had MXs, some didn't. Some had radiotherapy, some didn't etc . In her own case very large, aggressive, lymph node positive, lost her nipple because of where the tumour was. Every single time I speak to her I feel so up beat afterwards. I know it's a bit of a duplicitous post but I learn more with every conversation and because these are "real" people. I know that Kylie Minogue et al are real too but I've never spoken to them, had a laugh with them, still see them out and about getting on with stuff. There's also the age range. Sally's a lot older than me but because she's so interesting she knows loads of people. These women are from 40s to 70s. Right. Skipping off to rads now in a much better frame of mind x
Lexxy

Love the socks, they're fab!!

Need to catch up and post properly but wanted to wish everyone a good Friday xx

My PICC didn't work so unfortunately I now have to go on the emergency list for a Hickman and if they can't get me in Tues my chemo will go back a week. I didn't handle it too well, still blaming the pmt, feel like such a massive wuss.
Elizabeth1

Hello everyone. Yesterday was a busy day for me. Saw my GP early morning for a sick line & got a prescription for unscented shower cream, paracetamol & dressings. She couldn't have been nicer & said if I needed anything else just to ring the surgery. In the afternoon I was back at the hospital. For a marker to be fitted & as I agreed to take part in a research programme had 2 more biopsies. I'm exhausted with all these hospital appointments this week & my breast cancer nurse said at the beginning this is the way it is but once my chemo starts then the appointments should lessen

Off out this afternoon get sorted with a whig. 

Sliver lady I will order a couple of those caps from Amazon you mentioned xx

Silverlady

I have just received these from Hubby this morning, radiation warning socks, ready for when I have my radiotherapy.

No automatic alt text available.

Silverlady

HI Sarah

This one just arrived today and it is so soft.  I bought it as it is fleecy and if you turn it inside out the seams stick up - This means that when I wear a scarf it won't be flat on my head.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IXQKIIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I have bought for sleeping in and wearing around the house, it arrived last week and is lovely.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EJTZ0S0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Silverlady

Hi Pam - I put in your FB name and couldn't find you. If you click on Emily's link, you'll find me Susan Hill, send me a friend request and I will add you.
Pam75

Facebook.com/pamela.martin.7547

This is me is you want to give me a friend request x
Silverlady

Hahaha - Emily, that'll keep your brain occupied.

Sarah - That's what I thought, everyone is putting these red hearts on, and the one person it is aimed at, has no idea what it means. I have got a sleep hat, its a bamboo cotton thingymajig, I'm also going to wear it under my scarfs, to stop them sliding off. I'll find the link for you.
Sallyann43

Emily, I have seen your post on fb and loved it .. I didn't even know what the heart stickers were about but they did keep popping up on my fb page ... comes to something when I have the **bleep** disease and didn't know 😡😡

I'm off to meet the chemo nurse this morning and I'm sorry to say I still haven't got my head round it .. I keep getting the really cold feeling of fear .. it just whooshes up through my body ... going to get my prescription for wig this afternoon .. like Susan, I will have a look and if I don't like, I will just stick to turbans etc .... Susan - have you got a bed turban??

Speak later ladies when I'm home
Sarah xxxx
Emily T

Now I'm having 2 different conversations with you on 2 different sites Smiley LOL

Emily T

Yeah, coventry is ridiculous
Silverlady

Emily - you were posting as I was. Good luck for your appointment.

I know what you mean about parking - the hospital is 10 minutes from where I work, but I always have to leave 1 hour before because it can takes ages to find a parking spot.
Silverlady

Good morning lovely ladies,

Emily - I have left a comment on your FB and I have shared your post.  When it turned up on my FB page last December I wondered what it was.  I know my loved ones mean well, but I hate these chain letter posts.

I not sure if it was me who wrote that I felt safe for a while after my op, but then the fear of waiting returned, but it is what I felt.  I began to feel so down and fed up waiting for my Chemo start date and now that I have it, I feel really good again.  How weird is that - I am happy? 

Emma - it doesn't matter how intermittant your posts are, you know we are all thinking about you and wishing you all the love and get better wishes there can ever be.  I was worried about infection, especially when I looked inside my compression bandage and saw the mess in there.  What I didn't know was that all that dark red blood I could see everywhere was on the seethrough tape that they originally put over my scar.  It was such a surprise when the Nurse took it all off and underneath was this neat healed scar.  Hugs to you my darling.

I hope everyone else is o.k.

Susan

Emily T

Smiley LOL Well, hopefully my post will make some people re think what they post!! Thanks for looking guys xxx

Emma 2 weeks is nothing! I can't believe its been 2 weeks already! This Cancer malarky really does screw up your sense of time Smiley Tongue Hang in there hun xxxx

I'm leaving my house at 10 for an 11.30 appointment 40 minutes away! The rest is for parking!!! Worst time ever 11.30! Never mind. At least my parking is free this time Smiley LOL

Pam75

Hi Emily the I've liked your post too...I've also been on the tamoxifen for a week no side effects up to now fingers crossed...I haven't done the heart thing on facebook it so annoys me
Pam75

The aftercare ladybowler how often do I see anyone ..mammograms ect
ladybowler
Community Champion

Lexxy

And you xxx

Lexxy

Just popping in quickly. Emily, a friend of mine just shared your post on facebook 😁 xx

Sleep well everyone xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Strudel

I am the other end of town, by the childrens hospital so I am too far away from Colmore Row, I am only there one day a week the rest of the time I am based in kings heath xx

Strudel

Oh Emma my heart goes out to you. Waiting for results is a nightmare. I was on a high after my op but it lasted a week. Panic over the results then set in and I found it very difficult to cope with. Physically I was extremely sore for a month but I appreciate we didn't have the same operation. You will feel better, it's just getting there.

Em, I don't do Facebook but looked at your link. I would have had no idea what it meant.

Helena, it was you who works in Brum, I knew it was someone. I remember now because we said we may have passed each other and not known it. Mind you, I don't wander too far from Colmore Row as a rule.

Ali, I fancied a bath this morning but found myself chuckling and had a shower instead.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Em

Oh my dear I am sending you a lovely gently hug, you will get there and I promise things will improve>  I know I am at this point now because of the wonderful support I have had from everyone on here, those ladies who have been where I am before me, it has given me that belief that I can get to that point too, and you will please just be kind to yourself.

Only two weeks is still so early, as each week goes past you will improve and things will get better, remember everything is healing and that takes time.

As long as you are laughing, sometimes crying with us, but are still being part of us that is all that matters xxxx

Em 67

What an amazing bunch you are! I'm so encouraged reading all your posts as you embark on the next phase of treatment. You are all such an inspiration and source of comfort. I can see when you get past the pathology results and have a plan that you can get to a different place psychologically. I'm finding it quite tough to get past this and cope with the wait for results. Everything still hurts and looks such a mess. I keep worrying that I'm going to get an infection or that something is wrong with the tissue expanders. I know it is only two weeks but it is still so sore. I guess this is normal. 

Thank you you for keeping on asking after me. I know I make an appearance then disappear again but I am reading your news and laughing and crying with you and will get back on it soon xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Emily

I have seen it and replied to you xxxx

ali1961

Seen it and liked it too, Emily

Ali x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Emily

I am so pleased for you, it really is a relief in a strange way because you know you are about to embark on treatment again but actually it is somehow reassuring xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Pam

When you say you dont know what happens when you finish rads, what is it that you are unsure about? xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Pam

Oh yes!! cant ever say we have boring boobs 🙂 xx

Emily T

I made it public, wonder if you can see it

https://www.facebook.com/Drummersmum75/posts/10154930537897629

Emily T

Oh I forgot one of the reasons I came on...........I got angry today, REALLY angry....what the **bleep** is it with this heart chain thing on FB!?? Thats not raising awareness, its a **bleep** heart posted because you got a chain message!!! So I put my own post on! AND I have had a few shares. I posted the info from this site, with a picture...not a **bleep** heart in sight!

Emily T

Ooo Pam, good to see you, I wondered how you were.

Lexxy, Coffee is a definite 😄 I will look forwards to it.

My exciting update is a that I had a phone call today and I have a rads planning appointment tomorrow at 11.30 Smiley Very Happy You won't belive how fab I feel that things are happening again...I'm lost on the thread but one of you said about the op and then feeling safe and then the waiting again and it isn't until the relief sets in that you realise how tense you were.....After much persuasion the lady who called gave me a tentative start date of March 2nd.Then she said between 2nd and 6th and as the 2nd is a thursday I decided there wasn't much difference lol!

Ive taken 5 Tamoxifen, not noticed anything!

Pam75

Hi silverlady I'm ok ta..my skins fine said told them I had headaches but they said that wouldn't be from rads...only 4 more to go now...don't know what happens next
Pam75

A brown shape ?? As well as a blue boob lol
ladybowler
Community Champion

Pam

And you get this lovely brown square shape at the end as well, but it soon starts to fade, mine has nearly gone now 🙂 xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Strudel

Its me that is in Brum 🙂

Silverlady

Congratulations Pam - you're nearly at the end of it. How are you feeling?
Silverlady

Hi Lexxy - I'm so pleased you got the Emend, just gives us the confidence that we have done as much as we can in readiness.

Yes, I am having 6 of FEC only. I did ask why some people only had EC, but the Nurse just said it was tailored especially for each person. It would be interesting to know why the difference. Did they tell you to suck ice lollys through one of the chemo drugs, as it helps with mouth ulcers. She also told me that if my arm gets too cold I'm to ask for a heat pad & if I'm woozy, to let them know and they will give me more fluids. I'm chopping my own hair on Sunday, I'm just going to leave enough for a small ponytail. I was also told not to use any mouthwash without checking with them first.

I've got a chemo box with everything I'm collecting. 😂😂
Strudel

Having an off day. Rads wise headache seems better but omg my breast is the sorest it's been. It's the nerve ending and boy do they hurt. Then went onto a counselling session at The Haven. I won't be doing that again, total waste of time. On the upside the nutritionist's appointment was interesting. 

i thought you said Brum Lexxy so I wasn't too far off.  No, I'm not in the advertising world - is that your area of work?

Pam75

Finished my main lot of radiotherapy yesterday today I had the 1st of 5 boosters a bit different to normal as they attach a thing to the end of the machine and it goes directly to where the cancer was..Instead of 2 people there were about 7 some were physics people and other staff I'd not seen before..going back to my first gentle yoga class on Sunday can't wait x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Lexxy

Dont worry, I knew what you meant and appreciated that senitment.  I have done it now which is another milestone reached for me.  Next week I am on my normal hours, which in itself will be a challenge as Monday and Tuesday it is 8 hour days, happy days 🙂

Wow you are really organised xx

Lexxy

Hello ladies!

Ali, your story made me howl with laughter, bless your friend! I have to say you really are just incredible how you deal with all this and working as well. You and Jo C are my inspiration for getting through this with a sense of humour and a strong determination to keep going. Thank you both for that and your support and honesty about how it really is. It looks like we will sync up then Ali, im on 6 rounds, 3 weekly so we will finish at the same time. 

Susan, im so pleased you've now got everything planned in and you had a good meeting with the nurses. So you will be the day after Sarah and I. Are you having 6 rounds of the FEC but none of the T? I meant to ask the onc how they decide these things but of course completely forgot to! Great that work are being so supportive and bless your family, my fella has been saying he'll do the head shave too. Huge hugs to you x

Strudel, hope all went smoothly with rads today. How you feeling? I definitely think the coil did me a favour, i think it may have stimulated the growth of what was already there and alerted me to it, so lucky! It really is funny how these things go isnt it. I work in solihull so if you're up for a slightly longer journey id love to see that HR Director taken down a few pegs 😂 Is Brum where you're commuting to? Are you in the advertising agency world? 

Emily, how are you feeling about Rads? Will you be over at Cov for that? Coffee sounds absolutely fab, maybe once ive got through my first chemo dose and i know roughly how many days im knocked out for, would love that x

Alex, OMG!! Thats so awful, how lucky you have a sense of humour. I bet she was mortified when she realised though!

Helena, i was totally premature asking about your first thursday yesterday, i'm a bit muddled on days at the moment. So, i hope today has gone well 😊

My assessment went well this morning, the nurses are so lovely. They think ive got a suitable vein for the PICC and thats going in tomorrow. As long as i dont look i should be ok! I was prescribed Emend straight away, she was impressed when i asked if thats what it was and I will have gcsf injections, i think weekly. I have asked for a DN to do the first couple but my guilt at using so many resources and costing them so much money will hopefully persuade me to do my own after that. Im trying to get hold of gp to get a sicknote, i cant be doing with these work idiots so im just going to get a full sign off hopefully. Haircut booked for monday before my heart check and ive ordered head coverings, water bottle, pill pot, dark nail varnish and nail strengthener as well as picking up a thermometer, loads of anti bac hand gel, soft toothbrush and mouthwash. Feels like im getting as prepared as i can.

Jane, do you finish rads this week? x

Emma and Elizabeth hope you are both doing well today x

mistyblue

Hi,

Have just read your post, If anyone wants cheering up they should read it.

How lovely and heartwarming your family are.

Silverlady

Sometimes I am overwhelmed with this BC malarky, which is why I come on here and tell you lot.

Today, I rang my M.D. and told him that my plan to return to work after the first treatment had been thwarted by the Nurse and I would not be able to return until after my second treatment, but I would take the computer home and work as soon as I am able.  He replied, 'Don't you worry about coming back to the office or working from home, you just get better and come back when you are ready". He is going to keep me on full pay all the way through my treatments and days off and still give me my holidays - I found myself welling up.

Then I find out that my son, hubby and brother-in-law are planning to shave their heads, when I have to shave mine (they don't know I know) - welling up again.

My hubby has just rung to ask me to get a skybox for the bedroom so that I can watch my favourite programmes while I am feeling unwell - Welling up again. (Although I told him that due to the threat of DVT, I want to move about as much as possible, even if that means just walking up and down the stairs).

My 2 scarves arrived today, one is a beautiful grey, with pale pink birds on and the other is a vibrant red, orange & dark pink with black leopard print on it - that was it - I cried. First time since this whole rollercoaster started.  I have managed not to cry since I was first diagnosed, now I have a headache from crying.

Love a very happy, crybaby.

Susan