Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ovaries removed pre menopause

3 REPLIES 3
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Ovaries removed pre menopause

Hi Karri
I had my ovaries out 15 months ago aged 51, wasn't having periods since chemo which had finished 4 months previously, but test showed i was premenopausal. I did have menopausal symptoms, hot flushes, night sweats etc and also have side effects from taking aromatase inhibitors (post men hormone treatment)but after a year menopausal symptoms have eased up (touch wood!). I have never taken anything for it, decided to just go through it and managed symptoms OK except loss of waistline - which I am working on.
For me it felt the right thing to do, but at my age it was only a few years early - I still think it was a sensible option, but I know some centres don't routinely offer it except if BRCA +ive.
best of luck,
mon x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Karri
I'm another one who didn't go through the expected chemo-menopause.

I'm going to see my onc next week about having my ovaries out, so no experience to share yet. From all I've read, it sounds like it's worth doing. The research I've found online suggests a big improvement to survival rates among premenopausal women who've had their ovaries out, who had a strongly hormone receptive cancer.

I'm wondering if I can wait until my 5 years on tamoxifen are up, by which time I'll be nearly 44. A long way off though, only been taking it for 6 months.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes. xxxx

sunflower_1

I was given the choice whether to have my ovaries surgically removed or extinguished by radiotherapy. I had four sessions of radio to finish them off as I was on my third op related to the bc and didnt want another anaesthetic. Am on tamoxifen so have some symptoms hot flushes and slight weight gain but they are manageable. It's great not having periods or needing contreception. I haven't been offered any alternative to HRT. I am 49 but was 47 when diagnosed so would have been heading for the menopause anyway. The only thing is that I have more anxiety than I used to but I am not sure whether that is bc related menopause related or just me.

Guest user
Not applicable

Ovaries removed pre menopause

I am due to have both my ovaries removed at the beginning of September. My dilemma is not being allowed hrt after because of breast cancer. I was diagnosed last April with breast ca of the left breast grade 1 then a grade 3 in my right. I have had fec chemotherapy, however after the course was complete I tested positive for the BRCA 1 gene. I didn't have radiotherapy, as I then chose to have a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. I am only 41 and quite nervous about the ovaries being removed after reading all the knock on effects it can entail. Has anyone else had theirs removed and what were their experiences after?? Have anyone been prescribe a substitute for hrt and has it helped. I was already menopausal after my chemo. My dr prescribed clonidine for the hot flushes but my periods returned to normal about a month later. Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing having them removed and would appreciate anybody's advice on the subject