Over 3 years on secondaries to lung liver and bones

Hi my names Sandra and I’m new to this! I would like to share my story. My cancer was first found in 2009 and returned in 2011 to lungs, liver and bones. I have stayed very positive and responded much better to all the different treatments I’ve been given than my onc and team ever expected! So there is hope out there, I’m on a new drug now that’s working really well I’m in a much better place than I was 3 years ago. If anyone wants to ask me anything I’m quite well up on all the drugs and have done my homework so feel free to contact me. I hope someone reading this will take the positive from it and it will help even just a bit???

Hi there Sandra, great to hear you are doing well. Long may it continue. X

Great you’re doing so well! ??
What treatment are you on?
I am 4.5 years out from primary and secondary diagnosis at the same time in Sept '10, initially multiple lung Mets and now liver as well. Letrozole worked for nearly 4 years now had e/e which did nothing and now capecitabine which will hopefully work!!
Glo xx

Hi Sandra
That is wonderful and does give hope. May I ask what type of BC you have, ER, PR, HER2 status, if you don’t mind? And also, which drug has worked for three years?
Many thanks
Bumpkin x

Thanks for posting your positive news.  It really gives me a boost.  This month is my 2 year anniversary.  I am doing really well and feeling good.  Still working full time and cycling to work everyday.  Joined a walking club - I have a 8 mile walk tomorrow and a 13 mile walk on Sunday.  Hope the rain stops.    Got to keep positive.  X

Hi Sandra. Thanks for your lovely message and thanks for sharing your story. I have sec breast cancer in my liver lungs and a lot of bone mets. I feel very tired a lot of the time. I’m currently on no treatment awaiting Xeloda chemo in two weeks time if my bloods are healthy. Have you experienced extreme fatigue at all?

That is really positive news. I was diagnosed October 2014 with secondary BC after having breast cancer in 2004 with mets in scalp, upper and lower spine, pelvis, hips (everywhere really apart from left arm) also in both lungs they gave me 18-24 months but was feeling so poorly I didn’t think I would even make Christmas, but was started on Letrozole and monthly zoledronic infusions and can honestly say some days I don’t even think I have cancer, I get more tired than I used to and a bit of pain now and again but that’s about it, I was going to take early retirement but so glad I didn’t as lead an almost normal life as before and reading stories like yours really gives me hope that there is a lot more life in me yet

take care

i am inspired already from reading your status! i was told only last week that I may only have a year to go and that is devastating news for someone only aged 51! thankyou

Hi Sandra, it’s really inspiring to hear you’re doing so well and thank you for posting your story. I was originally diagnosed with BC with node involvement in 2007. I was then diagnosed Oct 2014 with lung mets in left lung and one spot on left hip. I completed a 12 Weekly course of Paclitaxel which i tolerated fairly well. My breathing has worsened and yesterday and i had a ct scan and had a pint of fluid drained and hoped i would feel less breathless but while out for a walk this morning i don’t really feel that much better. I have also been told there are cancer cells in a lump on my chest (soft tissue i think) and I’m waiting to see what treatment i will be having. I also started Letrozole about 2 months ago after being on Tamoxifen for 7 years. I don’t really know what to expect when i see my Onc next Wednesday and worried at the prospect of him saying there’s nothing they can do. I feel really well in myself apart from the breathing issues. Can i ask what the new drug is that you’re taking. I like to be armed with a list of questions when i see my onc. Many thanks in advance. X

Hi Sandra

Read your post with interest - by the way, Im Sandra too.

My primary cancer was in 2011. along with an aneurism on aortic artery.  But I was OK with that, I had the cancer treatment (lunpectomy and radiotherapy) followed by major surgery to repair the aneurism. After that I was convinced I was going to be fine - BUT - I have an artery scan each year to check the aneuism and this year’s revealed fluid on my lung + thickening of lining.  Further investigation found breast cancer cells in the fluid.

Big Big  shock.  I have just have my second infusion of Epirubicin and wait to see how things go.  I was on Letrozole until secondary found, will be on Exemestane (Aromasin).

By the way, I am Stage 4, ER Positive, HER2 Negative.

Be interested to hear your views.

All the very best, hope your treatment goes well.

Saxx

So good to hear so many ladies are doing well with chemo.Having just been diagnosed with secondaries is a scary place for me right now and I’m clinging onto any positives I can find! My main problem at the moment is pain… Liver area and spine and ribs.I’m taking slow release and fast acting morphine (but apart from making me feel that I’m on another planet). Don’t seem to help a lot! Anybody any alternative suggestions please?
What is the new drug called that you are taking Sandra? Is it a chemo drug? I’m on gemcarb at the moment only had 1 cycle so can’t comment on how it’s working yet.so fingers crosse!.unfortunately I have tnbc which seems to limit options for treatment! ?

<Empty imported post>

Hi, I was told yesterday I also have liver, lung and bone mets and am devastated but after reading your messages it has given me some hope x

Hi, I have just been reading info hospital gave me and Chemo they say I will be on is either capecitabine or Epirubicin (probably the latter) which sounds horrendous, not that there is a good one. Any info would be appreciated x

Hi,sam23 I had my first cycle of gemcarb then have ended up in hospital for a week since with a chest infection,low platelets, needed a blood transfusion and various other bits gone to pot! So Im guessing a bit like you it isn’t suiting me! Oncologist wants to keep me on it for a second round but at a half dose? Did they try that with you at all? I’m not looking forward to it!
But I’m determined to get over this little blip and back to normality! Good to hear things seem to be going ok for you at the moment.thanks for the information it will be handy to have to talk to the oncologist with next week.x

So good to hear stories of ladies doing better than diagnosis! Makes me in a fighting spirit! Thanks everyone xxx

Fantastic!

Oops not sleeping posted by accident!

Oh know that one! Can anyone remember the time when you shut your eyes to go to sleep and didn’t wake up until a sensible hour in the morning?!??. The sleep fairy is not paying me a visiit at the moment for sure. BC seems to be an instant recipe for insomnia followed by the desire to sleep at inconvenient times during the day, usually in mid sentence, lol. So glad the OH finds it amusing but it’s wearing thin with me!

Hi Sandra. Just the story I needed to hear. I’m feeling quite low at the min. First diagnosed in 2006 then in February this year got told the same as you. I’m on anastrozole, zoladex and recently denosumab. I’m so angry with the world and uncertain it’s overwhelming but you have given me some hope. Thanks xxx