Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwhelmed

31 REPLIES 31
CK

Re: Overwhelmed

Hi SueW
I've just been in and sat down for 5 hours chatting to customers. Waiting for food then heading home. Thanks for caring.xxx
SueW

ck you been into work yet? X if so hope it was okay if not enjoy it but don't over tire yourself x
CK

Oooops!!! I've just realised that I'm shining the V shaped pillow I was given 20 years ago when I was pregnant!!!!!!🤣🤣🤣
SueW

Dunelm do some from s fiver up to £35 depending on material etc x
SueW

I just looked on the range website they do s v pillow witch case fore £7.99 but not sure what quality would be like x
Jencat

I haven't got a v shaped pillow, perhaps I should invest in one before I have chemo! xx

Chaffinch17

I love my V pillow 😊
ladybowler
Community Champion

momo

oh that is great news smalll steps are the best.  xxx

momo4169

Thanks everyone - I have been good since and have noticed today that although still tired I've not had to have a nap at all and definitely feeling that I'm improving all the time. Might venture out tomorrow for a very short walk to the end of the road so not far to get back if it feels too much!

The challenge at the moment is sleeping at night, not because of naps in the day, but because I always slept on my left front (which is exactly where I've had the op) so propping myself up on pillows to,help sleep on my back. I'm not doing too badly actually but my lovely V shaped pillow that arrived from Amazon today should help tonight.

Anniej
Community Champion

Wow , Momo, you are one tough cookie! My anaesthetic took a while to get rid of, but I was lugging a drain around as well which was a little less than delightful to look at! Good for you. Exercise is an excellent way to keep the endomorphins going, but do look after yourself. If your body tells you to rest, then listen to it. X

CK

Even of we feel ok our bodies are still trying to adjust to all the changes so best not to overdo it. I've always been one of them who never stops but I have no choice now...so making the most of resting now.x
Chaffinch17

I took a couple of short walks with rests half way for a couple of days after my surgery then built from there. I was a 10,000 step a day girl before surgery and was back at that level after about a week but I am more tired than before even now nearly a month on. Healing is hard on your body so make sure that you get plenty of early nights. I tried to avoid too many naps because it disrupts my sleep pattern. 15 minute power naps are fine though
ladybowler
Community Champion

momo

Wow thats a lot to do on your first real day out of hospital, remember the anaesthetic is still in your body so you are going to feel whacked for a little while xx

Know what you mean, I was going back to work two weeks after my surgery, my boss laughed at me and reminded me of what I said when I went back to work after 6 weeks 🙂 🙂

Helena xx

momo4169

I went for a walk today - it wasn't far but I think I completely underestimated how tough I'd find it and came back totally knackered! So have been hurting a bit and taking paracetamol and ibuprofen- trying not to take the codeine unless absolutely necessary- took some last night to help me sleep but not had any today. I guess I need to remember I've been through a major procedure and it will take a little time to get back to normal - I'm just not a very good patient!

Chaffinch17

Best of luck with your recovery. Rest up but don't forget your exercises. I found a short walk each day was good and took alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen every 2-3 hours at first.
RhonaBoat

HI Momo

Glad you are home and sounds like you are being looked after well. Take it easy and have a wee nap in the afternoon if you need it xx

SueW

Great news momo and you should feel better as each day passes big hugs x
CK

Well done Momo
Now time to rest and let people do things for you.xxx
WhyteFawn

Hi Momo. Glad to hear you are home and doing good! Hubby sounds like he's looking after you well. Take it easy

Cassie x
momo4169

Hi everyone, back home now and the op went well. I am fortunate to have private healthcare and went to the One Health hospital in Ashford. I cannot fault the care and my room was lovely.

Had to stay in overnight due to the timing off the op - came round in recovery just before 7 pm - but was home by lunchtime yesterday. Was absolutely shattered yesterday and spent most of the day dozing but slept pretty well last night although it's a bit painful this morning as the anaesthetic is working its way out of my body. Got hubby waiting on me hand and foot (will milk that for as long as I can!) and have had so many ongoing good wishes.

So that's the first bit out of the way, just need to wait for the results now and hope that my treatment plan is as first discussed and not a different path. 

Thank you to all the ladies on here who have also sent their best wishes. I'll now move over to the receiving treatment bit as I go through the next stages of this journey,

Naza

Good luck Momo. All the best for today. X
Mumoftwo

Hi Momo4169,

People are so kind, aren't they, and as one of the other replies said you get lovely messages from some people and no contact from others! I was so surprised when I was diagnosed last year that one of my closest friends only contacted me twice to see how I was whereas friends of friends were messaging me frequently! I guess some people just don't know what to say.

Anyway, good luck with your op!

Michelle xx

RhonaBoat

Hi Momo4169

All the best for your op tomorrow. Lovely to hear about all the supportive messages you have received.

Rhona x

CK

I know what you mean SueW!
I got so many flowers not enough vases! I would have preferred fruit, creams, dark nail varnish, things to help me sleep! Tut tut!!! So ungrateful, aren't I???
Chaffinch17

I did a similar think on Facebook. I just felt that it was an easier way of letting everyone know and also I used it as a way to get the important message of self checking out there. I felt if I was open it would also avoid anyone putting their foot in it and finding myself getting unexpectedly upset.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your treatment x
CK

Well done! Momo!
Support is what you need right now! You were brave to get stuck right in and go for it and its gteat you habe the response! Do whats right for you!!! Usually I'm a very private person and keep my customers and friends separate but on this occasion I felt that I couldn't do on my own and they would find lut anyway, so I told a few first
and glad as I needed lifts after my op eye and shopping. I went to work a few days later and resulted into telling more people and now I have messaged many on my first day of chemo for sponsors for my haircut and also a chance to tell them!
I have a private fb group but have asked them not to post on fb as I haven't because I have a lot of friends and family overseas and don't want to worry them!
It's nothing to be ashamed of but if they are so far away there's nothing they can do and might feel bad that they aren't here for me.
Look forward to many more cards, flowers, recovery bags and messages of support!
Together with them and the ladies on here you will get through it girl!
Keep us updated. There are many on here who have had ops too.
Lots of love for your op tomorrow and make sure you ask for help from these lively people.
Will be thinking of you.xxx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi momo

Welcome to the forum.

Here we all help and support each other as much as possible.

I think you're right about the support from friends. Some disappoint, others go above and beyond.

Hope your surgery goes well tomorrow. As well as going on here, you can move across to the Going through Treatment section, and chat to others going through the same.

Best wishes

Sue xx

SueW

i had a  florist worth of flowers after my op but think i would have preffered a shepherds pie ... I couldnt eat flowers lol .... not meaning to sound ungrateful or anything xx

momo4169

Oh and I forgot to mention the shepherd's pie that the retired chap my husband plays table tennis with brought round! I find that the people you don't expect really surprise you and unfortunately some of the ones you thought would be there for you aren't, but thankfully I can count the latter on one hand.

Jencat

Hope your op goes well tomorrow. It's lovely that you've had so much support, people can be very kind x

SueW

how lovely for you to be so supported x I had a very similar experience I posted on fb then went off to bed as I found it quite traumatic to do the post. The next morning i had 193 responses to my post and cried so much. 

good luck with the op tomorrow please let us know you are okay x

momo4169

Overwhelmed

Tomorrow is my op and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Not with the thought of it funnily enough - I'm calmer than I thought I'd be - but with the messages of support I've had from so many people. I've decided to be really open about what's going on. I have quite a big job and interact with a many people so it seemed natural to be open and honest about why I'll not be around too much over the coming months. The messages I've had from work colleagues and very senior leaders that I work with has been amazing. 

I also had had to think about how to keep many people updated on what's going on as so many people asked to be kept informed. So having told all my close family, friends and work colleagues personally, I decided to post something on Facebook as most of them are on there and told them that's how I'd let them know how I'm doing. I wasn't prepared for the messages of support from old school friends (I left Scotland nearly 30 years ago so clearly don't see them much) and old work colleagues. Such touching words of encouragement that will help to carry me through the months ahead.

But my favourite message tonight has to be from the family of one of my eldest daughter's friends in a card that they delivered along with a bottle of wine - You give that Cancer **bleep**!! 

I fully intend to!