PET Scan tomorrow-scared !!

Hi
I am hoping someone will be able to advise me why my consultant wants me to have a PET scan as opposed to another type.
Diagnosed Sept 08, invasive lobular,lymph involvement.Had lumpectomy,Full lymph removal, 6 x FEC, Radiotherapy. Now have ache in breast bone. Consultant says moderate chance of c in bone… Had scanners as very claustophobic and had so many sleepless nights… Scan is tomorrow afternoon…
Thanks
x

Hi Bethy,
I’ve had about 6 PET scans now as I have bone mets which started out in my sternum & top of right leg. I first had a CT scan which came back inconclusive so was referred for a PET scan instead. The benefit of PET scans is that they won’t miss any chemical activity that’s going on anywhere in your body, so if something’s going on it’ll pick it up. It does this by a radioactive trace (which is given by injection about 90 mins before the scan) going round in the bloodstream & settling in areas where there’s increased chemical activity, which then shows up onthe scan in various different colours. The chemical activity is basically cell changes that are going on in bones & all soft tissue. It’s very precise & can pick up changes that are happening very early on too so appropriate treatment can be carried out.
I’m like you & don’t really like scans, but the scanner is much shorter in length than an MRI & a bit longer than a CT. So your head & legs are generally always sticking out into the room. Afterwards you can’t have contact with young children or pregnant women for 6 hours due to the radioactive element in your bloodstream.
One more piece of advice, take water to drink & plenty to read or music to listen to, as you have a 90 minute wait once the injection is given.
Good luck,
Dugsy x

Thanks so much for this Dugsy…really helpful to know exactly whats going to happen and how it will be on the day.
Best of luck with your treatment and I’ll let you know how
I get on:-)
x