PET scan??

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what a pet scan is? Have recently had bone scan and ct scan, but have been told i need a pet scan!! finished treatment for bc in aug (mx/chemo/rads) but have a few suspicious areas on scans plus it looks like a few lumps has appeared by breastbone, possibly lymph nodes in chest affected so have to have another biopsy!! my head is so mixed up!! dont have my meeting with onc until next weds to discuss scans and waiting a phone call from breast care team to arrange biopsy (they were meant to call this pm but didnt!!!) got sooo much going on with my body its confusing (if you’ve seen other posts of mine…got blood clot on lung and large lump on ovary which i have to have surgery at some point to have ovaries removed, once they’ve sorted blood clot!!)
Ive no idea what a pet scan is…or why it would show anymore than a ct scan??? any help/advice would be great…
sorry for rambling, Tracey xx

Forgot to say… i dont have secondary breast cancer, well im hoping i dont!!! thats what ive had these scans for, will find out results hopefully next wed

Tracey xx

Hi Lucy,

Haven’t spotted your other posts, but sorry you’re going through all these things at once.

I’m not sure what PET stands for, but it’s more accurate than a CT scan. I had a PET scan before, which is really a PET / CT scan - 2 scans done at the same time. CT scan only shows up the area that’s abnormal (can be cancer or something else), but a PET scan shows how active the cancer cells are.

There’re a bit more info on the CancerResearch website:
cancerhelp.org.uk/about-cancer/tests/petct-scan

Hope results are not what you feared next Wed. Sending positive thoughts.

xx

Hi m1yu,

Thankyou for your reply, will take a look at the link, have tried not to search internet as dont want to scare myself anymore!!

Seems im always waiting…for scans…for appointments…for results!! want it to be over and just know what im facing

Trying to think positive, thanks again Tracey xx

Hi Lucy3,
I can completely understand you not wanting to search on the internet much as it can all get very overwhelming. I’ve been having regular PET scans since my secondary diagnosis in Feb 08.It stands for Positron Emission Tomography and although I get leaflets every time they’re booked I can’t remember what it means. I do know it’s supposed to be more thorough and explicit than a CT as a routine CT picked up abnormalities for me in Feb 08 but it was the PET scan following this that pinpointed the problems and showed up more than the CT revealed so take it as a positive thing as it may rule out problems or clarify things.PET scans are very expensive and are not routinely given on the NHS but I have been lucky to have had BUPA cover through my ex-husband’s work scheme. Either way it will give a clearer picture which I’m sure will be easier to know from there what you’re facing. I have been lucky enough to have been stable for 2 years now following 9 months of chemo for the secondaries in 08.
I wish you all the very best.
Anne x

Thankyou AnneS,

I spoke to my nurse today, my local hospital in Torbay dont do pet scans so i have to go to another hospital (luckily its only an hour away!) and she said hopefully it’l be for next week, so i wont have to wait long… this whole cancer business feels like a waiting game!!
I am nhs…but they have been very good and thorough, think the waiting would be the same if i was private!
Heres hoping i know whats going on…what i am, or hopefully am not facing by the end of next week.
Great to hear things are stable for you, sending my best wishes
Tracey xx