PICC Lines - has anyone had one?

Went for my pre-chemo appointment yesterday and was told that it would be better if I had a PICC Line. Had terrible experience during biopsy (at another hospital where I was diagnosed). Does it hurt when they insert it? I was told that a local is given.
Any comments much appreciated.
Mazzza1

hi mazza,
ive got one, its brilliant, didnt hurt, just like having an injection really, ached a bit for a day or so but in the great scheme of things its nothing. keep forgetting its there and picking up my grandson with that arm!
i would reccommend it from my personal experience.
angie xx

hi mazza. i too have a PICC line, there was a local anaesthetic, and then i felt something a little sharp, so i asked should i feel it, and he gave me more anaesthetic. then i felt nothing, it was easy peasy! as angie said it’s sort of uncomfy for a day or two, but only because it’s something new. once you get used to it it’s really fine. relax and you’ll be fine
angrela xx

Hi with a picc line what happens with a bath or shower? I’m thinking of asking for one because during my latest a and e admission they said my vein is too short for a cannula and it bends in my arm and it always hurts. Most drs/nurses have a lot of trouble getting Any blood for pathology tests too xx

hi
littlescoot - shower as normal but dont soak in a bath. i have one armed baths and my lovely daughter bought me a shower sleeve so i dont have to worry about splashing it. at worst, the dressing would start to peel. its covered with ultra thin tegaderm, see through dressing, like cling film. i do forget its there. i had mine for the same reason as you. glad i did.
angie xx

I’ve had a PICC line for a few months now, after being neutropenic and admitted 3 times and the canulas for IV fluids, antibiotics were too much for the poor veins. It’s great. I’m having herceptin now every 3 weeks which is a doddle. I also had MX 4 weeks ago and the PICC was used for the anaesthetic. No more needles.
Got a plastic shower sleeve (£5 in local chemist) which keeps it dry. The only down side is having to get if flushed weekly. The district nurse will come to your home to do it. Or I can go to a clinic in my local GP surgery where they can flush it.

Thanks Angie (once again!), Angela G (once again!), Catzooo and Littlescoot. I’m a bit of a wreck at the moment and everything has just hit me, which seems ridiculous really. I felt everything during my biopsy under “alleged” local anaethestic and it has made me fearful of everything regarding “local” and when I found out I would need a PICC line I changed my mind about the chemo. My first chemo is supposed to be tomorrow but my bc nurse (who is fantastic) has arranged for me to see the oncologist and the nurse that does the PICC line. I know if I have it I will be shaking from head to toe.
Thank you for your helpful replies ladies.
From a nervous Mazza!

Wish I had one fitted, my veins are shot to bits… number 5 of 6 fec, I was admitted to hospital for nearly a week with kidney infection, so IV antibiotics and numerous blood tests and I have no veins left. Plus it was so painful I cried. It’s bad enough the state the veins get in with chemo and you hope the veins hold out, but if you do need extra drips etc then it can be a setback.
Good luck
Maggie

I had a picc line and it was the best decision ever. My chemo unit recommended it as it was easier for them and much, much easier for me. It was easy to put in, no pain, very slight discomfort for first 24 hrs. You just know that something has gone into your body, if that makes sense.
I had it flushed weekly at my chemo unit, wrapped my arm in clingfilm before showering and did not have a bath for a bit. I have no problems with my veins now, about 2.5 yrs post chemo.
It’s a lot to take in isn’t it, this whole bc thing and the unknown can make you feel apprehensive. Wish you all the best with your chemo journey.
Nim

I’m another who had a PICC line. It’s one of those things which look worse in advance than they really are. I had no pain with the insertion and only a little discomfort after it was first in. They recommended paracetamol and a warm hot water bottle for discomfort. I also got a cheap sleeve meant to go over a cast and kept that arm away from the shower–in some ways a bath was easier because I just propped that arm on the edge.

I did find that my clothing sometimes caught on the fittings, but someone on the forum suggested wearing a stretchy but not tight sleeve over the top. (This was winter, and I was wearing lots of jumpers because our central heating was dying.) I got a light one from the hospital and also used lengths of large tubi-grip.

I live near the hospital, so they recommended coming there every week for cleaning and flushing, which just took a few minutes. It also makes the blood tests much easier. The nurses were good about using different sized plasters to minimise skin irritation, which tends to be a problem for me. At the end, it was removed before I realised it was happening and I can scarcely find the mark now, 2 years after.

Most people are fine with picc insertion but just want you to be aware that your arm may ache for awhile. I had one fitted nearly 2 weeks ago and it’s still bothering me. Can’t straighten arm out easily n hurts when I do. Can’t lift anything heavy with that arm either.
i would recommend using a hot water bottle as it would help you feel more comfortable. Got mine for £5 from Asda.
All the best!

Mazza1 Like you I had a horrendous experience with my Biopsy so much so that I developed a phobia of anything being inserted in to me (well nearly everything lol). I even freaked out at blood tests and any kind of injections after. I too was dreading having a PICC line and got myself in a right state as I was convinced the local wouldn’t work just as it didnt with my biopsy which was the most painful thing I have EVER had in my life. The local worked before my PICC line was inserted and I didnt feel another thing other than the stingy part of the local. I have had it for 10 weeks now and never had any bother with it from day one. It’s made my life so much easier and I forgot its there. Oh, I was allergic to the plastic covering they put on to keep it water proof but I have now found one I get on with and all is good.
Good luck and I bet you come back and update us saying it all went OK X

a lot of the ladies on the march thread use clingfilm (as has already been said here) which works for them. i had already bought a sleeve from boots for £5 so feel i should use that cling film, had i thought of it, would have been preferable. i was told absolutely not to get it wet as risk of infection. don’t forget, if you feel ANYTHING after local anaesthetic, don’t be brave, just tell them you need more local please. all the best to you. i’m sure you will be fine xx angela