PICC line anyone???

I hope its ok to put this here too…

Now I know some of us have PICC lines but as my brain is mush these days I can’t remember who…I’m due for getting one next tues prior to chemo first dose on wed…and think I’m dreading the tues more than the wed…!! Anybody else with one??? mary x

ps I wonder if red wine is available via it for maybe days 3-7…

I haven’t got a PICC but I have got a portacath. It was put in under local anaesthetic and slight sedation - but it involved going into the vein in my neck and cutting into my chest to site the port. I think a PICC line is more straightforward.

Having the port put in wasn’t the best experience of my life, but bearable definitely. I had my first chemo yesterday and it was a doddle. Just one needle stick into the port in my chest and it just drips in. With the PICC I don’t think you even get that because the tube is already outside the skin.

I think it’s definitely worth doing if you are the sort of person whose veins run for cover at the sight of a needle, as mine do.

hi Gennie - I remembered about your porta cath - between the chip van idea and your hubby’s joke!! Once the day is here I’ll feel better I think ;0) Mary x

Hi there

I too am having a picc line fitted this week as my veins are collapsing - I know people say they are fine to have inserted but very scared as line goes into the cavity near the heart. Just hope the medics know that they are doing…

Bright x

hi bright - gawd your arm looks sore! I know what you mean though about the lines but hopefully it’ll be worth it…when is yours going in then? Mary x