POETIC Trial. Tumour downgraded now treated as low risk.

Hi,

I was diagnosed late January and told I would need MX, ongoinging hormone therapy, and probably radiotherapy due to the size (25mm)  and extent of my tumour.

I was recruited into the POETIC trial and assigned to the group which recieved Anastrozole for two weeks before and after surgery.

After surgery I was told my tumour was small (4mm)  and my prognosis  good- I was low risk for recurrence. I did not see an oncologist; the only treatment offered was tamoxifen- I am 61  and post menopause.

I am worried that my treatment plan is based on my post op histology rather than the extent of the cancer seen prior to taking Anastrozole. 

I tried to talk to my GP and BCN but neither has been able to allay my fears. 

I do not have an oncologist because i am low risk. 3.08 NPI score based on the size of tumour found after surgery.

I know many people would be delighted to hear they are “low risk” but just keep worying that taking part in the trial has clouded descisions about my eventual treatment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Posted a similar query but no replies so tried to be more succinct this time. :slight_smile:

JJan

Hi JJan

sorry to hear your are having this worry.  I know our treatment plans are worked out as a result of the post op report. Not the initial diagnosis as they don’t really know what they are dealing with till they get it out. 

I would have thought you should still have to see an oncologists if you are on hormone therapy. Who is going to monitor your side effects etc.  I wouldn’t trust my gp to monitor mine. You could be on your knees at reception and still wait two weeks for an appointment and it’s never the same doctor as you saw the last time.

on the plus side being in a trial means you should be getting monitored by someone.  Or whats the point.

you could request an appointment with an oncologist but you might have to push them hard to get on the list.

after treatment  many people find they have just as much anxiety or sometimes even more.  You go into the cancer ‘machine’ and when treatment’s finished you get spat out the otherside and it’s difficult to just stand up and walk away.

maybe your gp or nurse could arrange for you to speak to someone about your fears.

Take care.

Keeks