Pain 24/7 14 months post op. Any suggestions?

Pain 24/7 14 months post op. Any suggestions?

Pain 24/7 14 months post op. Any suggestions? I originally posted this in early april on the Younger Womens forum, as I was 41 and pre-menst. when diagnosed! Perhaps I didn’t get a reply as it was too long winded or just not relevant to that forum, so trying again here. I do not get on with my BCN so cannot discuss it with her. My hubby has “teminal compassion fatigue” so cannot discuss with him. The pain described below still continues even though I am now on 900mg daily of Gabapentin. But I now have a constant pain in the region of my left kidney and in my spine next to where my kidney is. The memory lapses/confusion the contra-indications on the drug leaflet tell me about seem to be getting worse! I don’t even remember making arrangments for tea with my Mother-in law! Amongst other things!

…another sleepless night, can’t get comfortable, night sweats, hot flushes etc, etc!
I am coping Ok with night sweats, hot flushes and the other effects of Zoladex. My main concern is the constant pain/discomfort 24/7 in my back, from my hip up to the top of my shoulder and around my lower front ribs. It is the side they took the Lat. Dorsi from for the recon. The outer flesh is numb over that whole area (14 months since surgery). My ribs feel so close to the surface now, I presume that is because of the portion of Lat. Dorsi they moved? My Surgeon says they did not touch my front lower ribs. So why do I feel like I have had a good kicking if I touch my ribs, even lightly? Why does it feel like someone is trying to push a clenched fist through my back, just below the shoulder blade? I have had 2 bone scans, both show nothing of concern, just some wear and tear on hips, knees and ankles. I had no lymph or vascualr involvement with the BC, the mastectomy caught it all. So no Chemo or RADS. Was I lucky or what? I am now on increasing doses of Gabapentin. Onc & GP say to carry on increasing dose by 100mg a week until I get some relief. Worried about how much higher I need to take the dose before I get relief or will I be a dribbling zombie and unable to carry on with my life but at least I won’t be in pain? And of course my unspoken worry of could it be something more sinister? After all my BC in left breast was only found thru a mamm. after referal with intense pain in the right breast,but no other symtoms in either breast! Plus the fact I have just been told my 1st annual post surgey mamm “shows nothing of concern in the right breast”. So I am free of hosp appts until check up in August with Surgeon & ONC. Hip-hip hurray! (Only monthly GP appts for Zoladex)
I thought I was doing so well but sleep deprivation has eventally got me. Any ideas?
Am I a raging hypochondriac or just mentally unbalanced?

Hello Dawn, I am in a similar situation as you.

I am on Tamoxifen, I had five weeks of radio therapy, same as you no lymph glands involved, I get pains all over my body, have so many similar problems as you…If you would like to ask one of the moderators to give you my email address, I would be only too happy to chat with you.

Hugs Val. XXXX.

Pain and sleepless nights too Hi

Just thought I would let you know that I am also going through sleepless nights although my doctor has given me some sleeping tablets which are helping a bit, but the night sweats are horrendous, I followed someones advice and got myself a chillow pillow, its absolutely fantastic and has helped tremendously. The thing I am suffering with as well is a pain in my ribs, like you it feels tender to the touch just like someone has punched me and fractured my ribs. I have an appointment with my doctor on 26/4/07 so will have to let you know how I get on. In the meantime you are NOT mentally unbalanced or an hypochondriac, just on a roller coaster of emotions following BC, anyway if you are I am too…lol

Elaine

For Val & Dawn Hi there,

Have you thought about joining the BCC Live Chat session on a Thursday evening? The sessions are hosted by a breast care nurse and you can ‘chat’ to each other in real time. I have given the link to the Live Chat below. Hope this is of help to you.

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=52

Kind regards
BCC Host

Also 14 months on I have posted before asking if any one had expereince of further sugery to relieve discomfort and pain after LD flap.

Can I ask is your LD after without implant. Mine is and I have been trying to find out if it is this group that seem to be having more trouble after LD flaps.

I have a lot of what I describe as muscle contraction in the breast area though the medical profession seems to call it twitching. This contraction I feel pulls on everyting else and sometimes makes the whole of the LD flap area very sore and uncomfortable including round the back and the ribs. My surgeon has offerd to cut the tendon. I am going to see him again to talk about what the procedure is actually going to address. I need to believe it is going to help a lot before I have further surgery.

My sister encouraged me to have a second opinion. I t was a very postive experience for me. The second surgeon seemed much more open to accept I was having unecessary discomfort and pain. I will go back to him if communication with my surgeon isn’t any easier next time

I am much older than you, 58 now . I have tried physio, excercies at the gym, relaxation etc but nothing is giving me peace with my body. Fortunatly I can live without pain killers most the time but the thought of being a old lady with these pains does not appeal.

Lets keep searching for an answer. I suppose the other thing that I would like to know, does size matter? I am very broad across the back. I must have had big LD flap.

For months I tried to give it time ( a favourite phrase) but now I accept it is not going to get better without surgery. I have worried about my mental state but I am getting some more acknowlegement now that it is not all in my head.

Take care

Msg for sallyann re Dawnh post pain 24/7 Hi Sallyann
I had LD with implant, it is a saline and silicon implant just for info.
I am not very broad across the back but big up front! 32 F pre-op, and thankfully back into at long last now.
My LD in the breast twitches sometimes for no reason, I can be totally relaxed doing nothing and it will start. If I have to cough deeply the recon. boob jumps around all over the place! It is my party trick! When putting on body lotion or washing my back certain movements of my left arm, the LD side, pulls the LD in the breast into all sorts of strange shapes and contortions. The other strange thing is if I touch or trace circles on my recon I can feel it in my back where the LD came from! I mentioned all of this to my consultant months ago and he said it would settle down as the LD muscle “learnt” it is not in is original position. But 14 months on the sensations are just as strong. As is all of the pain.

Love
DawnH

Querie for elaine55 re rib & back pain. Hi Elaine, on my previous post re back and rib pain you mentioned you were going to your GP re your pain. How did you get on? Mine is still no easier although I am now on 1000 mg of Gabapentine daily.