Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain Under Arm After Sentinal Node Biopsy

12 REPLIES 12
Jill1998
Community Champion

Re: Pain Under Arm After Sentinal Node Biopsy

You are pretty good on kitchen appliances Jo ....
Jobey68

Or anything!! 😝

helen1971

Thanks for your advice ladies. I will keep an eye on for a few days. It's a week since my op tomorrow so still early days I guess. X
Jill1998
Community Champion

Well you can't be an expert on everything can you !!!
Jobey68

See shows how much I know!! 😜

Jill1998
Community Champion

No I dont think it's always obvious ,I debated whether it was something to get checked out for a while as obviously you are going to be swollen anyway after op.I left it til post op appr with surgeon and he drained it,felt a lot better!!
Jobey68

Jill will be able to answer this better than me as I didn't have a seroma but it's a quite obvious swelling I believe and if infected will feel hot and tender xx

helen1971

Silly question but would it be obvious if I had fluid build up?
Jobey68

Hi Helen, I found the node removal far more uncomfortable than the lumpectomy, it settled down after a week or so and I was lucky not to have any infections, as Jill says it's worth getting it checked if it's worrying you xx Jo 

Jill1998
Community Champion

If it doesn't settle down give BC nurse a ring and ask if they can have a look at it,seroma are pretty common (not dangerous just uncomfortable ).
helen1971

I go back on 7th March. Pretty much left to my own devices till then. Just taken dressing off and looks Ok. Trying an ice pack as suggested on another post. X
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Helen,most people seem to find the wound for SNB a lot more painful than the surgery to breast .BC nurse told me this was because we have a lot more nerve endings there.I had seroma (build up of fluid) under arm and this made it a lot more painful and uncomfortable ,may be worth getting it checked out if doesn't improve in a few days,when do you next see surgeon/nurse ?
helen1971

Pain Under Arm After Sentinal Node Biopsy

Hello ladies. I had a wide local excision with mammplasty and sentinal node biopsy on 17th and the pain under my arm is still much worse than my breast. It feels like I have a big lump under my arm and it's a sort of burning sensation although not hot to the touch. Nurse checked it when she removed drain on Sunday and said no sign of infection. Has anyone else experienced this kind of prolonged pain? Any suggestions as to what will help relieve this as it is stopping me from sleeping as I can't get comfy. Thanks Helen xx