Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain & discomfort after mastectomy.

5 REPLIES 5
Karis

Re: Pain & discomfort after mastectomy.

Hello
I second the advice from rosebud above. I was in a lot of pain at this stage. If your mum could ring the helpline, and explain what she's experiencing, I think she would feel much better. Sometimes it needs several strategies - for me this included better pain relief (consultant), physiotherapy (big nag to get GP to refer me), severals trip to a Haven centre, and some time, and it did come under control. But would it have got better without all this - I don't know, but I couldn't wait 2 years to find out! I'm sure a call to the helpline would be a very good start to getting things right for your mum. Good luck. K x

rosebud50

Hi
Is your mother still doing the stretching exercises? I am 5 months post surgery and get odd twinges. Sitting around definitely brings on pain but this is alleviated by doing the exercises and gentle walking. I hate doing the stretches but do find that it helps.
I would ring the BCC Advice line discuss what options are avaialble including potentially physio.
jenny5931

soz i meant end of 2 years of pain hopefully
jenny x
jenny5931

hi
im only 3 months post surgery but all the symtoms you discribe ive got and been told to expect them for 2 years it sucks dosnt it, still your mum might be near the end.
jenny x
Lucy_BCC

Hi b.h.123 and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support and shared experiences you will soon have here, please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through the concerns you have about your Mum, they may be able to put her in touch with someone who has had similar issues post surgery for support, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Take care

Lucy

b_h_2013

Pain & discomfort after mastectomy.

I am writing on behalf of my mum. She had a mastectomy and lymph node removal a year and 8 months ago and it still in a lot of discomfort and sometimes pain - all down her arm, under her arm pit, all across her chest where she had the op. She's spoken to her breast care nurse but keeps getting told that it's normal but the longer it is going on the worse it is getting. Has anybody else had the same problem? she thought it may have settled down by now. Any replies or advice would be appreciated. Thankyou.