Pain in Breast

Hi, my mom has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is now undergoing chemotherapy (Docetaxel). Herr first course started 4 days ago, but her infected breast as well as non-infected breast have swollen even more and the infected one pains. Could you please share with me why this happens? Thanks

I’m not sure as I on FEC. Has she been to doctors as infection is not good when on chemo as immune system reduces so she needs to ring hospital to check with them and check her temperature regularly in case it goes up. I have heard with chemo you can get pain where you have had op. hope others come along soon to reassure xxx

Hi Venera,

Welcome to the forum.  As The has mentioned it’s always best to speak to the medical team about any worries.

You could also talk things over with one of our Helpliners.  They can offer lots of practical information and emotional support.  They will be open at 9.00am (9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays 0808 800 6000)

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Venera

I’m a bit late to your post so you’ve probably sorted out the answer by now?

You don’t say if your mum is post surgery or if she’s having chemo before surgery?

I had surgery first and then 4 FEC. Having then started Docetaxel at end of September I have pretty much had consistent chest pain ever since. I had a CT scan this week in case I had blood clots (without trying to alarm you) and they confirmed not but the pain in the chest is unexplained at the moment. What I do know is that I have really suffered extreme pain all over the body, especially legs and muscle weakness and although they warn you of this they don’t necessarily emphasise how bad this can be. In my case it was so extreme they had to lower the dose whereas others I am in touch with have not had the same level of pain. 

As others have posted your mum must alert her team and by now that has probably happened but I can relate to the pain in the chest and I too feel my affected breast is swollen but again this may be due to Lymphoedema because I had all lymph nodes removed. It’s all a puzzle and doesn’t calm down until treatment is over.

Hope you have some explanations by now and that your mum is more comfortable.

Beatrice