Pain in Kidneys

Hello,

I am new to all these forums etc and not sure what it is that I am actually doing, but I was wondering if anyone was having pain in their kidneys from chemo?

I had my first chemo FEC T treatment on the 18th April 2014.  I am suffering form most common side effects which I was prepared for, but on Tuesday I started with pain that feels like it’s in my kidneys? I have been taking my temperture regularly and everything seems fine.  I have been taking parecomal to help with the pain when it’s really bad.  I am drinking plenty of water and have no other symptoms?  I have not contacted the emgeremcy number because I don’t really feel unwell in myself.  I was wondering if this is a normal side effect from the treatment and has anyone else had the same experience?

Also silly question but is it possible to drink to much water? I was told to drink plenty of water, so I have been drinking roughly about five/six bottles of water (75cl) throughout the day. My husband and daughter have now started worrying that I might be drinking to much water and flushing the chemo out to soon before it’s had time to work!! I have siad that I doubt it very much, but I thought while i’m on I would ask the question??

Thanks for any help/adivce in reply to this 

Hello Pinktulip

Welcome to the forums, this must be very difficult time for you.  I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon. 

In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Pinktulip

sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

I am also unfortunatley on this journey…and being a nurse isn’t always an advantage

I just wanted to hopefully ease your concerns…

As you know treatment can affect how your kidneys work. This is usually mild and goes back to normal after treatment. You will have blood tests before chemotherapy to check how well your kidneys are working. However, I wouldn’t continue taking paractemaol without advice,the paracetamol will mask any temperature and symptoms…It is worth mentioning to the emergency line or your macmillan nurse …you can sometimes have a urine infection without symptoms…they may test your urine just to eliminate. I also had back/kidney pain …but it was nothing…just the body adapting.

Remember you are going through all of this to be cured…so ask the questions…once you know it is all ok…you will stress less and your body will relax

However, aches and pains can feel like they are in your kidneys…and every where else lol… and we get lots of aches and pains which we always think the worse of…this mental torture does eventually subside…

Regarding drinking too much… aim for 1.5 - 2 litres daily…don’t forget you also have fluids in your foods etc.

I hope this helps a bit… Best wishes …Donna xx

Hi Donna,

Just wondering of your ok, not heard from you in a while?  Hope your not having problems with the TAX?

Had my last lot of FEC last Friday, heart scan next week then start my TAX and Herceptin the week after.

Let me know how your getting on?

Take care

Pink Tulip xx

Hi pink tulip
Sorry to read that you are having problems posting, can you please email moderator@breastcancercare.org.uk and we can try and sort it out for you

Best wishes
Lucy BCC