Pain in Legs during Radiotherapy - Worried

Hi all,
I’m 36 and was diagnosed with a grade 3 ductal tumour in Nov last year. I had a lumpectomy in december after having to swap hospitals (long story) and thankfully there was no spread into lymph nodes.
I was also triple negative.
I turned down chemo but am having radiotherapy. I have just finished week 4 out of 6.
I’m worried though as for the last 3 weeks or so I have been getting extremely aching muscles - not in the breast area, but mainly my legs. My calf muscles are driving me mad - almost like restless legs, and also my knees hurt. My arms when I raise them feel like I have been lifting the titanic, and it also hurts to type. Basically all my muscles feel like I have done the marathon!
I asked the ladies at the rad unit, and they said that they hadn’t heard of this being connected with radio before, but it could just be that I am tired they said.
I have found that I am starting to get pretty exhausted the last few days, but this pain has been going on for weeks now, and I am starting to get totally paranoid that it somehow has already spread (even though my lymphs were clear!).

Has anyone heard of this sort of pain associated with radio, or is it just that my body is tired?

It is so difficult not to become obsessed when anything slightly out of the ordinary happens, but it has got to the point where I am almost too scared to go to the docs incase I dont’ like what they say… :frowning:
I’ve just searched on the internet and all I can come across is bone and muscle mets! Aaargh! That’s not what I wanted to find!

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks
Julie
x

Hi Julie

Do you have a breastcare nurse at the centre where you have radiotherapy? I suggest you talk to them if you have .

I can remember being bone wearily tired with muscles that ached for England during radiotherapy.Crashing out for an hour at a time helped but i did feel a bit like the bunny that didn’t have duracell batteries in the duracell battery advert during radiotherapy.

hope this is of some use Crispy

Thanks Crispy.
It isn’t just me then! I haven’t got a breast care nurse at the rad unit, the rad ladies are very nice, but they just say they haven’t heard of it before.
I am hoping like you say that it is a side effect of being tired…

Thanks again

Hi julie72

You may find it useful to read the BCC fact sheet on radiotherapy
as it has lots of different information about side effects.

To find this information just go to the following link:-
breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/117

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)