Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain nearly 4 weeks post mx

19 REPLIES 19
Yvie178

Re: Pain nearly 4 weeks post mx

Hi Wildpurl
Thanks for replying - it's good to know that things get better as the weeks go on! The indents - when I asked the surgeon she said it was because I did not have much fat on my upper chest - she has not mentioned any infils.? The pain is mainly like a burning feeling with also a pressure type pain when I touch it. I am constantly aware of it despite constant pain relief. Looking forward to week 6 then!
Wildpurl

Hi Yvie, my recon feels fine, I have no pain or swelling now (9 weeks). I have not really had any pain since 6 weeks after the op. I mostly don't even notice I have it, it feels pretty normal to me now!
I don't have any indents in my chest above the implant, I can't really see an implant shape, just a round breast like shape. I have had one "fill" since surgery and am due to have one more, so that might make a difference.

I'm sure the swelling will go down. 4 weeks was a time when I definitely started to feel a lot better so I guess that is when some serious healing is completed.
ETA I see you mention your skin being tender to the touch. I had this too, I read somewhere that the damaged nerves start to heal and this makes the skin very sensitive and feels like bad sunburn, at least that is what mine felt like. It is quite normal and gradually goes away over a few more weeks.
Yvie178

Hi Wildpurl - how does your recon feel? Do you still have pain and swelling? Do you have indents in your chest above the implant? Am going to go back to work next week so will drive then, hopefully the swelling will subside. I was told 4-6 weeks for driving.
Wildpurl

I had mx with immediate reconstruction with strattice on 10th January. I was told I could drive after 3 weeks but did not feel confident, so waited. After 4 weeks I felt I could manage so started driving local trips and gradually built up from there. I think you will know when you are ready.
jillybee

Hehe,loved the bowling ball.....my first one was a saline one,was really firm.I nearly gave a patient a black eye when hugging her.....told her what it wad,we just rolled about laughing.....was a nurse I hasten to add.Thankyou,Yvie,for your kind message.yup,a long old haul for me.But feeling well.x
wax2014

I like the bowling ball scenario ! I call mine a piece of rock....made me smile ..thanks xxxxx
Wax xxxxx
Helenbythesea

I dfrove at 6 weeks but could not change gear safely!  I used my right hand to do it - dont ask how!  Hand brake with the right hand is easy as you are still!

Yvie178

Sorry meant to say are the ridges caused by your bra? I find that I get lots of indentations from my genie bra. Tried a normal bra at weekend and caused even more marks and swelling!
Yvie178

Hi wax I had to go private to get the strattice as not offered on nhs in oxfordshire. Same surgeon different hospital. The nhs option would have been ld flap for and expander and an implant, after a period of time. She said I did not have enough tissue on back to do without implant. It was from research on this site that I knew about the strattice and I wanted immediate recon so was a no brainier for me. To be fair it all happened so fast it was difficult to get my head round it 4 weeks from diagnosis to mx. Even now it seems surreal. And yes everyone thinks you're ok , and I guess I am apart from the bowling ball strapped to my chest where I used to have a breast!
Yvie178

Dear Jillybee thank you so much for your post it helps to hear others experience. Good luck with your next admission sounds like you are having a long journey - sending you big hug and much luck for your next stage x
wax2014

It's surprising the different methods used and offered with regards surgery.I was told by my consultant that the ONLY op available was the implants under the muscle no mention of strattice to give better look and i was lucky to have that as my first consultant at my hospital didn't do recon work so I was changed to another hospital and consultant. My new boob is ok although a little flat looking and to give the my consultant credit it is almost the same level,within cms, as the other one when i wear my bra and i have large boobs! I have noticed this morning though that i appear to have a line of 3 ridges that have appeared by the nipple
scar is this normal settling down and will it smooth over .?? Any ideas?? As for the driving its early days so i'll sit in my car after next week and see how things feel. It is right that because you look normal when dressed i think you push yourself and others around you think your on the mend because you look the same as
before. I tried to stop the pain killers but have gone back on ibuprofen to help with swelling I think I was expecting to much from myself and can't understand why I'm tired when I'm not doing anything... take care wax xxx
jillybee

Reading this thread with interest.What lovely comments.No patronising remarks,no stupid advice ......have been on another medical forum,dreadful.However,I digress.I had Mx 14 years ago,with immediate recon,and had post op pain for up to 8 weeks.I have a theory that when you have immediate recon,you can not get your head round everything,as you appear "normal"In the end,I was on anti depressants for a while,as thought I could just get on with life.

This time round,opted for immediate recon again,other side,but felt Ok!!!! Saying that,all went flat,so to speak,failed implants,as previous one re done as had twisted,now flat,for DIEP in the summer.

We are all different,I was completely different both times.No rules,be kind to yourself.You have had major surgery .Take pain killers,but see BCN,may be an infection there.

Re:driving....when you feel safe,and can do emergency stops!

Love and gentle hugs......I am going in next week,as now have fistula,7th admission since September,8th op.
Yvie178

Thanks for your reply Wax. A strattice is a bovine or porcine piece of skin that is sewn into the chest wall to act as a hammock for the implant. It's supposed to give a more natural shape to the implant. Xx
wax2014

Morning ladies, Yvie my implant was put under my chest muscles..not sure what a strattice is? It's quite strange that you don't realise how much you use the muscle on a day to day basis even to do the smallest of things like getting out of bed! So glad my consultant refused to do both sides together..which is the plan, I'm so worried that I couldn't feel the lobular cancer which ended up being 5cms in my bad boob that I have decided that i want the other side done to ..if they let me. How long am I looking at before I can drive is 4 weeks post op enough..due back at work then?
Thanks wax xx
Helenbythesea

YOU ARE SO LIKE ME

Could not change gear either - but it does come back.  Have thought about getting an automatic!

Take your time, take the pain killers and (try) to enjoy the little steps however small.  Keep doing the physio exercises - they are really important. I still am - from the Physio and from the Active Fit cd from this website - but you cant do that until 12 weeks post surgery.  THAT was when i realised that i was expecting a lot.  I am starting work in April - actually 5 months post op - due to physical strength or rather lack of it, which then compounded in emotional stress  and frustration.  I am now starting to feel normal and excited about returning - which i was not at all befroe

Take care - send a private message if you want

Yvie178

Thanks helenbythesea . Just tried to drive my car and can't do the handbrake so that's- no to going back to work. Sitting here in floods of tears feeling very sorry for myself
Helenbythesea

I had my op in October 2013 and have only just stopped taking pain killers - ibuprofen, so dont rush coming off them if you need them and can take them.  I tried to come off them in December , did too much and everything swelled up with loads of discomfort - putting me back a couple of weeks.

The Breast Cancer nurses were good and not surprtised - we all take tyime to heal.  It may look ok on the outside but it takes 12 weeks + on the inside apparently

Yvie178

Thanks so much for your reply it's so hard to know if I am just being a wimp! I will speak to the bc nurse as you suggested, it has always been tender to the touch and I did have two weeks of antibiotics because I had either infection or allergy to dressing which resulted in rash with pus spots. This has gone now and the surgeon has said I do not need too see her for 4 weeks. Do you have a strattice wax2014? Are you going to have surgery to your other breast ?
wax2014

Hi I had my mx and implant reconstruction on 1st march so into the second week now but I find I only need pain relief at night time because of swelling. At the weekend it became tender to touch and the breast  seemed really tight with a burning sensation as you have, I also had and slight yellow discharge from the wound. I was given antibiotics and the pain has greatly reduced. It may be worth speaking to your breast nurse to rule out any tiny infection going on. I also saw my consultant yesterday who said it would be another few weeks before all the swelling had gone and the implant would start to feel softer and more comfortable. Everyone is different , I find the exercises help and also try not to overdo it, be kind to yourself and I hope you feel more comfortable soon.

Yvie178

Pain nearly 4 weeks post mx

Hi all
Had mx with immediate recon with strattice and implant on 13 February and am still in quite a bit of pain. Still taking max pain relief but finding still have burning pain and tender to touch. Is this normal and how long does it take to settle down? Need to get back to work soon and worried will get knocked!