Pain where bra underwire is

Hi All

I have canceritis again as for the last few days I have a pain where my bra underwire is - top of ribcage. It is worse when I wear my bra but does not totally go when I dont. Its there then slightly when I think about it. My friend who had bc 7 years ago said she gets this and dont wear an underwire bra but has anyone else out there got it? Could it be due to radiotherapy (even though I finshed a year ago?)

I have myself down with cancer of the ribs of course. Dont want to go back to onc as he thinks I am mad as I had a v good prognosis and have already been back with abuot a million other things.

Please help??

ALise x

Dear Alise

I have always got a pain at the top of my ribs wearing my underwire bra. In fact this is why I had a mammogram 2.5 years ago as I thought the pain was unusual. The mammogram only showed small calcifications and the pain was purely due to the bra. However on June 2nd this year I was diagnosed with breast cancer (in the same breast but I have been told this is not down to what happened 2.5 years ago). Is it dangerous to wear an underwire bra whilst undergoing treatments do you think?

I have not been advised on the subject.

Cecelia. x

During rads I was told never to wear an underwire bra as the area could always be sensitive.lol horace

Dear Alise

I had WLE and sentinel node biopsy in Jan this year and I am still in my non wired bras. I would like to wear my nicer wired ones but on the few occasions that I have I too have a pain just under my SNB scar, on the ribs (at the side of my boob!). Occasionally I get the same pain with a non wired bra. I’m assuming it’s still early days and these things take a long time to settle. (I know it’s totally different but my mother in law had her bowel removed due to bowel cancer 27 years ago and still has twinges and aches from the operation site!).
I go for a 3 month check with the consultant in 2 weeks time so I will ask him about it then and keep you posted.

Cecelia - during radiotherapy onc told me to wear non wired or cami tops and if possible to go without and wear loose fitting tops. I think this was to minimise soreness of radiotherapy but I do like to wear my bra and did (non wired) all through radio. I had minimal discomfort but put it down to using loads of E45 on the affected area 2 or 3 times a day (am fair skinned as well).
Hope everything goes well for you both,
Shorty

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Cecelia. x

Hi Alise

I can advise that I had WLE and node removal over 2 years ago now and get pain in rib just underneath affected breast. My surgeon advised on my last visit that this is down to RT scarring.

I have now given up wearing bras and stick to camisoles as I burnt very badly during RT and the skin is now too thin under the breast to tolerate the pressure of even a non-wired bra for any length of time, the skin simply rubs away to raw flesh each time, So now I just let it all swing :slight_smile:

Thank you All for posting. Makes me feel betetr to know others have had the same problem

Love Alise x

I haven’t been on for a while… I had a lumpectomy in Dec 06 and radiotherapy in April May. I’ve been getting on really well and doing exercises and stretches and just trying to put everything behind me and get on with things again. But just over the last few weeks I’ve been getting this pain just as you have described. And that is why I came on to the site again.

The pain travels at my bra line almost in a line down my ribs and stretching is really sore. I’m also finding things tight under my arm and down my side. This has just happened in the last couple of weeks. I really really really have been doing my exercises. So why has this happened? At least it would appear that I’m not the only one.

Take care all of you. I’m so glad this forum is still here - even if I’d abandoned it - it’s nice to know it’s here when you need it.

Love to you all xx

Hi
I had WLE and Full Node removal in April 06. I am also sore where the underwire bit goes on the affected breast near the top of my ribs. I was told it is RT scarring.

Suzanne
x

Just got back from seeing consultant at 3 monthly appointment. He did a very thorough physical examination and I mentioned about pain with underwired bras, sometimes it feels abit swollen too. He said it’s a build up of fluid (I had WLE) that everybody gets and it keeps draining off down the side of the breast and around to the bottom and causes pain and tenderness. Even though I have a bit of pain he said I’d got off remarkably lightly as some women have it quite bad. He also said the fluid will never go completely but they expect 80% of it to have gone 5 years after surgery. So perhaps it’s a combination of this and RT scarring. Hope this helps allay a few worries.
Take care everyone
Shorty xx