Pain with Tax

Hi everyone
I had my first tax on friday and am in a lot of joint/muscle pain which is driving me mad. I already take/took a lot of codine due to having had fibromyalgia for years and having had the double masectomy, so can anyone else tell me what has helped them with this type of side effect? Think Dr is prescribing Diclafenic. Has this been of help to anyone.Does it also affect the emotions more or is that just me?
Love to all those who are struggling and thanks.

Hi lexxie303,The bone pain is horrendous isn’t it,I took co-codamol it made me very sleepy but did ease the pain.I have put a link below to another thread about TAX (docetaxel).

breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29573&p=495086#p495086

and another one on top tips to get through chemo :slight_smile:

breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19110&hilit=+top+tips+to+get&p=494866#p494866

hope your feeling better soon Melxx

wow i think im lucky so far no real bone pain a few twinges, its the itchy hot feet driving me nuts. my mouth isnt to bad. looks like im getting off lightly and im not happy about my SE.
Hope you feel better soon, 7 days in and im starting to feel better, bad news they are increasing my tax by 5mgm because of my weight gain so who knows.
There does alwasy seem to be a bit of a fuzzy head.

Hi there didnt have tax myself but my friend did and she used to get relief with neurofen or tramadol and keep trying to have little walks everyday to keep moving I had Fec and although did have some weakness and leg/knee pains nothing as bad as hers xxx take care Julie

Hi lexxie

I also had my Tax on Friday, it’s my third one. The pain is not as bad as the first dose I had, but my legs still ache a bit (not to mention my sternum!!!). Onc prescribed me Arthrotec for the pain and it really works. Trying not to take anything at the moment and see if I can survive :slight_smile: Don’t worry, it will soon go away, usually I start feeling better by the weekend! Hope you’ll soon feel ok, I’m sure you will!

Take Care
Deb xx

Hello

Just wanted to add that Tramadol helped me with the tax pains

take care
r x

Hi there

With my first TAX I had really bad joint pain, so severe that I couldn’t sleep for about 3 nights. It wasn’t as bad with the next 5 TAX’s, although my legs ached all the time throughtout having chemo I was able to cope with it.

Good Luck Amanda xx

Hi Lexxie303

I had tax and had the horrendous joint/muscle pain like you. In fact I had total body pain from my cheek bones right to my toes!! I got through it with tramadol, paracetamol and ibuprofen. Codiene does nothing for me at all. I also found a soak in the bath helped greatly and hot water bottles on the worst joints - which for me were my hips and knees.

Its not just you with the emotional stuff. I got very depressed whilst on tax. I was fine with FEC but as soon as I started the tax then boy my emotions got shot to pieces! I got myself out of the depression toward the end of my chemo though.

The tax has affected my nerve endings though. My last chemo was end of Nov and I still have problems with numb/tingling finger tips and toes. The sole of my left foot and balls of both feet - especially toward the evening. I hope they warned you of the nerve thing. I kept dropping things!! I still do sometimes. Fingers crossed this will go away soon!!

Hatty - I too suffered with the hot itchy feet! I used to rip them to shreds! But I did find that a antihystamine helped.

Well girls good luck with the rest of your treatment and I hope the tax isn’t too awful for you

Take care
Bird
xxxxx

Just keep taking the pain killers! After all they are quite mild compared with the poison they give us with the tax lol! Hot baths before bed really help as do hot bottles/hot wheat bags

HI Lexie

I had a really horrid time on tax, 2 1/2 years ago. High temp, yukky mouth, indigestion so bad I was on 6x usual dose of omeprazole, aches and pain everywhere, peripheral neuropathy (no feeling in fingertips or toes - still affected by this), chemo brain, awful constipation, but the worst thing for me was the feeling that all my internal organs were being stabbed.

I very seriously considered stopping. My onc reduced the dose by 10% for the 2nd and 3rd doses, which helped, but it was still hideous. For me, far far worse than FEC.

I am posting to say that I went through with the whole 3 cycles and I’m glad that I did, giving myself the best possible chance. Even whilst going through it, I realised that it would only be for a short time.

Come on here for advice and support as often as you need, it really is a help.

All the best
Kinden
x

Had 6 cycles of Tax and had really awful back pain which took me totally by surprise after tax #1, which nothing would shift. After that I was prepared and took paramol as soon as it began and it was never as bad again. I also found that breathing exercises helped - breathing out like I was taught to do for labour pains! It didn’t help with the labour 20 years ago, but it did with the tax pains amazingly! Also learned not to overdo it the first few days after each tax - hard when on the steroid high but it did help later! Hope it all goes well, love Mo