Painful reconstructed breasts.....menstrual cycle?

Good evening

I was diagnosed in May with high grade DCIS in right breast (3cm) and opted for WLE. As I had quite heavy breasts I decided to go for a reduction on the left side to match the right. All went well thankfully and about 6 weeks after radiotherapy I went back to work. I have been back for 2 months and although my education job has become very stressful after an Ofsted visit, until recently I have felt fine.

In the last 2-3 weeks my breasts have become very achey and the right one actually hurts. I’m finding bras uncomfortable and can’t wait to get home to take it off. It’s getting on my nerves now and I was grumbling to a colleague about it. She suggested it could be due to my menstrual cycle, although I am 54 and not had proper periods since I came off the pill about 2 years ago. Even so she suggested I get it checked out. I thought I could ring my BCN but feel a bit silly if all this is very normal. I keep telling myself that it’s only been a relative short time since surgery and radiotherapy so I should expect all these aches and pains. I just feel that I should be grateful that I have 2 ok boobs, even though they don’t feel like they belong to me. At times I feel like they are slapped on with blue tack even though I know my surgeon did I fantastic job!

Has anyone else experienced any similar symptoms.

Thanks for looking. Everyone take care
JF xx

Hi Jasminflower59

I’m sorry to hear you’re suffering like this.  To help you along I have put for you below links to some of BCC’s publications you might find helpful.  Also our helpline team will be only too happy to talk to you about this.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/menopausal-symptoms-breast-cancer-bcc18

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/confident-choice-breast-prostheses-bras-clothes-after-surgery-bcc123

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/moving-forward/moving-forward-support-you-after-treatment-sm23

Take care,

Jo, Moderator