Panic around strangers

Hi all x

So, I’m post surgery, starting on Tamoxifen shortly, and radiotherapy in a few weeks. During all the “waits” I was feeling panicked/anxious, and had assumed this would settle down once I knew exactly what I was dealing with, etc.

After my post surgery histology results I did initially feel a little calmer, and still do I suppose, however I’ve become very nervy, was always a bit jumpy anyway, but this is a whole new level. I feel that I’m in a state of constant panic, just at varying levels, the feeling is always there. In the last few days I’m noticing more and more that I’m uncomfortable around strangers, be it at the shops or in the pub. If I feel that strangers are too close or that I am hemmed in the panic surges through me and I get tearful.

Anyone else feel/felt like this at a similar stage? I’m considering seeing my GP but really don’t want to be put on any ongoing medication for it, I wonder if there’s anything I could just have to take if/when required?

Thanks for reading my ramblings x

Hi blondie
I kinda know what you mean, I have been ever so tearful and want to have my own space. I have started the tamoxifen, on 7th July and thought that it might be something to do with that
sheena

Blonde i was the same, you go from being in a state of fear and disbelief to a huge feeling of relief initially after getting a good result then the anxiety creeps back in, it took me a couple of weeks to feel more relaxed and to start with I couldn’t spent too much time on my own so made sure my days were full with work and visiting people until my hubby came home from work,people do expect you to snap back to normal but it’s not that easy but things do settle down, please don’t worry about radiotherapy as it is nothing to fear and I had no problems at all with it, I can honestly say now 4 months from diagnosis I am feel pretty much normal again, my hubby still gets emotional when he’s asked how I am but I’m happy to talk about it , on reflection I know how fortunate I’ve been to have dodged a bullet but it takes time and don’t feel you should be fine now as it doesn’t happen over night, go easy on yourself and I couldn’t have coped without diazepam to get me through the anxiety but up haven’t taken any for a month now ? Xxx

Blonde I know the feeling well, it’s horrible! 

I had to go food shopping today and was getting more and more hot & panicky. I think it’s the contrast to what you are going through and then being in an environment where it’s ‘business as usual’! I just don’t want to be doing normal things when everything is far from normal. Our world’s have been rocked, it has to have an effect so don’t add that to your worries. I would ask your Dr for something to calm you down, get you through this roller coaster! make sure it’s temporary though… I was addicted to valium years back. Ak your Dr for help… it’s the last thing you need.

sending love 

Lorna x

It’s all about coming off anything very slowly so if you do that there will be no side effects or addiction. Trust me. I learnt the hard way when a bit of simple advice would have saved me from years of anxiety. In those days they dished them out and kept telling me they weren’t addictive! Get. They have a place in medicine and I think this is one of them. Sending love x