Papillomas suspected - 3 core biopsies taken

I’m 34, 10 months ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl but was unable to breastfeed due to inverted nipples. My left nipple is fully inverted and my right nipple is partially inverted. I developed mastitis in my right breast which was treated and went away.

After a couple of months I developed a hard lump next to my areola which I saw a GP about, they told me to come back if it was still there after 3 months, which it was so I went back and got a referral to the breast clinic. I saw a dr and had an ultrasound and to my delight they told me it didn’t look suspicious and they would see me in another 3 months for another ultrasound if it was still there.

In the time between ultrasound appointments my right breast began leaking what I think is milk and blood, my nipple swelled and burst several times and now leaks fluid on a daily basis and hurts a lot. The lump is still there, you can easily feel it, its about 3cm long.

I went back to the clinic last week and they did another ultrasound and took 3 core biopsies from my right breast. The dr said he suspects it’s a papilloma and ultrasounded my left breast and said he thinks it’s the same thing on that side too and may be what’s causing the nipple retraction. He also mentioned they normally like to surgically remove papillomas. He also kept asking me if I was ok and if I understood everything, which has left me feeling like it could be more serious than originally thought.

Like us all, I’ve done sone reading online and can see that while in the majority of cases papillomas are benign tumors it’s not always the case, and if there are multiples then your chances of developing BC in the future increase.

I’m now worried that even if my results come back benign (please!) I’ll have to have surgery anyway. I don’t have much in the way of breasts as it is (don’t fill an A cup) and don’t like the idea of a general anaesthesia.

Dr also said they would most likely want to take more biopsies from the left breast.

Should I be worried they took 3 biopsies?

Does anyone have any idea how much marginal tissue they take?

Should I be worried about future papillomas even if they remove these ones?

I’m also not sure exactly how they will contact me with the results, the slip of paper says an outpatient appointment and it’ll take a week to process, i’m assuming a letter in the post, or do you get a phone call? Does anyone know how the NHS get back to you ?

Sorry for the essay (and TMI) good to order events and thoughts. What are your experiences with biopsies and results? Xx

Hi `Starfish,

Please don’t worry that they took 3 biopsies, they are only being thorough so that they get to the bottom of what it is. Thankfully, you are now in the right place to get this dealt with.

As we say frequently here, its best not to do a general google on your condition as it only makes the anxiety worse. Use this site or Macmillan if you need any further information.

Fortunately, even if it is a bit more serious, then the sooner it’s treated the better & it sounds like the problem, if there is one, is at a very early stage. It is hard, but try & take it a step at a time rather than letting the mind go into overdrive on the ‘what ifs.’

Normally the results take a week or 2 to come through from the biopsy, if you don’t have an appointment, then they will be in touch - by phone/letter, but do contact them if you need to.

The dr will be able to give you more details on everything at the next appointment.

let us know how you get on,

ann x

Hi Ann, thank you for your reply.

I’ve just had a phone call from the hospital and I have an appointment with a surgeon tomorrow afternoon for my results. I do hope the phone call was standard procedure for all test results and not just for the more serious results!

At least I’ll know more soon, dh is coming too (and my dd) so will be a family outing… lol can think of better ways to spend the afternoon. X

hi starfish,
Don’t worry, phone calls are normal practice, its to do with ensuring time is managed as well as possible.
let us know what happens
ann x

Hi Ann,

Good news! Biopsies were benign! In fact they now don’t think it’s a papilloma and instead think it’s chronic mastitis. So no surgery either! I’ve got two high dose antibiotics to take for a week and they will see me again in 4 weeks to check on it. In hindsight maybe this was the most likely outcome.

Looks like you can get good news even when they call you and want to see you the next day!

Good luck with any treatment you may be having/have had, i do wish you and all the other ladies on these forums good health and happiness x

Brilliant news, Starfish! Its good to see positive results posted, as it helps others.
ann x