Park Hosp Notts or NHS?

Hi

I’m ‘umming and ahhing’ about where to have my mx and recon.

I’ve been offered a mx then saline expander on NHS. I’ve to have rads and surgeon has said that if this messes up the expander i can then have the LD flap.

Having read up on this i’ve feel that the rads will definitely mess up the expander and that expanders seem to be hard and uncomfortable and therefore only ever, generally, a temporary measure.

At the private hosp surgeon suggested LD flap straight away,saying that this is LESS likely to be effected by rads as in natural tissue and if it does he can use fat to plump it up. He doesn’t see the point in giving me an expander as i’m small. His photos look amazing.

I think i’m leaning towards Park but was wondering if anyone had experience of either of these places and/or procedures.

As always - ever greatful for any responses. x

I had MX with immediate LD flap recon with implant last November and am now half way through 25 rads on my recon, so I’m really glad to see your comment about rads being less likely to mess up my recon - thank you! It’s early rad days but so far I’ve had no problems and it’s looking fine.

I’m sure you’ve read up on LD Flap recons and seen pictures but just wanted to let you know that I’m really pleased with the shape of my ‘new’ breast - (without clothes and with). The surgery itself went very well. I had 6 days in hospital and came home with a couple of drains and painkillers. I was ok to go back to work after 6 weeks. My scars are fading fast and the one across my back is under my bra strap.

I have no experience of the hospital you mentioned or expanders - but reading your post I too wouldn’t fancy having a temporary measure, but am sure someone with experience of expanders will be along soon!

Hope you find an answer soon. Difficult isn’t it!

Rachelx

Thanks PR - it’s good to hear a success story!
x