cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial Failure of free tram flap

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Partial Failure of free tram flap

Hi Crazybirdy

So pleased that you have had your surgery. I agree with giving your body a chance to recover before any further surgery. 

Rest and heal after all you've been through.

Hugs Dee

Fantastic! I think you are very wise to give your body a rest. If you go for more surgery, it will be so much more successful if your tissues have healed properly. And all the best as you recover. I have a houseful of chocolates and biscuits at the moment; my mum has gone a bit wild and bought me so many treats to recover with..I think I could end up rather plump!!

I am 3 days post surgery I ended up having a LD Flap with a little fat transfer and no implant or expander. I will see my PS soon to discuss what options are available. After what I've been through I just want to give my body a chance to recover first. Thanks everyone for your replies x

Fingers and toes crossed for you. Hang on in there.

Hi Crazybirdy

You sound more upbeat which is good.  I'm sending massive hugs and will be thinking of you on Monday as you undergo your surgery.  Hoping that your surgeon is able to do the extended LD back flap and that all goes well and to plan.

So pleased that your getting out of the house as it really does help you to feel good and also lifts you mentally.

Hugs Dee

Got the swab results which were all clear so am going in on Monday 9/2/15 for a LD back flap with expander, although if possible I've told PS that I would prefer a extended LD back flap without implant and lipofill at later date and he said this could be possible. Jillybee559 Walking definitely helps and it feels good to get out the house even just for 5 or 10 minutes. Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences and kind words x

Crazy bird ...I had 8 lots of surgery in less than 7 months.....you will get through all this.Just be kind to yourself,and what helped me was to go out in fresh air and walk......not far,but it helps your mind as well as your body.At one point,I had 2 ops in 2 days.

Positive thoughts that swabs ok. I can't begin to imagine what it feels like facing a 3rd round in such a short period. Just hold on in there it will eventually get sorted. Stella x

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and hugs, the operation didn't go to plan so I ended up having the tram flap removed and the wound vac attached as my PS surgeon suspected an infection. I will get the results of the swabs tomorrow and if all ok I will have the LD flap and expander surgery on monday 9/2/15. I'm not sure how much more my body can take - that's 3 major surgeries with 7 weeks.

Hi Crazybirdy

Big ((((hugs)))) for today. Hope everything goes well. Thinking of you.

Hugs Dee

It will pass.This was said to me,I have had problems with implants and all been going on since July 2013.Now have capsulated fluid in tummy area following my DIEP July 2014.Up to hospital tomorrow to see what they can do.......but,as I said,It will pass,and can totally understand your feelings,crazy bird ....gentle hugs to all.

Thank you Dee and Kenstar,
big day tomorrow x

Lots of positive thoughts. This journey sure does hold many unexpected side routes. X

Hi Crazybirdy

So sorry to hear that the wound has not healed as expected.  The thought of more surgery and a longer recovery is not news we welcome, plus, the "not knowing" what the outcome of the surgery will be is probably adding to your worries.

I am sending massive ((((hugs)))) as I know this is not the news you hoped for.

Dee

Hi Dee, I went to the hospital today to have the vac dressing changed and my PS had a quick look at the wound, he was concerned that part of the wound was not healing - to cut a long story short I am booked in for surgery on Monday 2/2/15 he said that although 85% of the flap had survived he could not take the risk of waiting longer, he wants to remove the flap and using skin from my back fit an expander and later on an implant. Worst case scenario if he is unable to do the LD back flap he will remove the complete tram flap and put the vac pump on again for it to heal. There is a very slim chance that he may be able to flip the tram flap over but it is only a slim chance. I'm so upset and disheartened I was so looking forward to this year and now it seems that all I have ahead of me is a longer recovery period and more scars and more surgery.

Hi Crazybirdy

Glad that the article was helpful. Wishing you the best. Here if you need me.  If your able and want to please let me know how you get on.

Massive hugs

Dee

Dee, I have just read supertrouper posts which answers some questions I had. Thanks again

Hi Crazybirdy

Stumbled quiet by chance on a post from supertrouper and I think she may have gone through necrosis like yourself. If you look up her name then go to page 5 and then click on the 3rd post down.

Read her post it may be of some help to you.

Hugs Dee

Thanks Dee, much appreciated. I have searched the web and not found much info out there about skin necrosis, my PS said there is only a 3-5% failure rate with the flap. I have had problems with the wound vac as the pressure kept dropping so the district nurse had to come out and put more dressings over the wound making it even more uncomfortable 😞 x

Hi Crazybirdy

I myself have no experience of this but hoping to bump up your post for more responses.

Hugs Dee

Partial Failure of free tram flap

Had my left breast reconstruction 22/12/14 free tram flap from abdomen within a couple of day 1/3 of the flap turned black and hard. I was using Bactroban with Inadine strips covered with Guaze daily but it didn't seem to be making a difference. After 4 weeks 4 days 23/1/15 the PS carried out debridement of the affected area and now I have a KCI wound VAC to help heal faster, he thinks I will have for at least 4 weeks, after this heals he may have to do a skin graft but is not sure at this stage, PS said this could have happened because of the radiated skin causing issues with the blood vessels. Has anyone else had anything like this happen and if so, how long did it take to heal and also any tips on coping with the wound vac would be appreciated, thanks