Partner just diagnosed with breast cancer

Hi, 

my partner, who is 36 has just been diagnosed with breast cancer which has spread to her spine.

she broke her collarbone a few weeks ago for no apparent reason, and has suffered back pain for some time.

yesterdays ct scan showed up cancer in right breast which has spread to her spine, i am waiting until monday to speak to oncologist. She is in agony with her back, and pain meds in hospital cant keep up.

i took her out of hospital for a couple of hours today, and although she walked in yesterday, has gone down hill rapidly, with reduced mobility and more pain.  I have called her family to be by her side, but she is at the stage of giving up, and seems resigned to dying without undergoing any treatment.

is there any hope for her? Has anyone else here have a similar story that can help me give her any encouragement?

so sorry to hear your news, handyman. presumably, you have both only just received the diagnosis so the treatment plan is not in place yet, it soon will be, so hang in there. the pain is, obviously, dominating everything at the moment, but it does not mean it is not treatable.
I don’t have personal experience of this, but after seeing your post I felt I couldn’t just click & move on.
my very best wishes to you both
ann xxx

Hi handyman,

I am so sorry that such a diagnosis has been made, especially as it came out of the blue. It must be so very challenging to cope with it all. I admire you for the strength you are showing in this situation.

Having no experience of this type of diagnosis, I have tried to find some information for you to explore and hope it will give you and your partner some of the answers you are looking for. The first link will give you general information, whilst the second link is to a publication, which also covers treatment options. It can be downloaded to be printed.

breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/secondary-metastatic-breast-cancer/secondary-breast-cancer-diagnosis/secondary-breast-cancer-in-bone

breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/pdf/bcc30_secondary_in_the_bone_web_1.pdf

There is also a forum, where you can find many threads relating to your partners diagnosis. Perhaps you might like to explore it and utilise the support, which is available to help you and your partner through this very tough time?

Again, here is the link

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Living-with-secondary-breast/ct-p/secondary_breast_cancer

The next few weeks are likely to be very tough on you, your partner and your families. May I suggest that you utilise the breast care nurse, which should be assigned to your partner, to seek advice on counselling for you all. It could be of great help and support. If a breast care nurse should not be assigned, you should be able to ask the oncologist for information of how to access this service.

Wishing you and your partner strength and courage

Sue xx 

So sorry to read about your partner. I hope her treatment plan starts soon. Sending big hugs x