cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Periods

7 REPLIES 7
Carolyn159

Re: Periods

I had mastectomy in Dec 2006 and chemo in Feb 2007 and haven't had a period since March 2007 have often felt irritable and tender in my remaining breast but no periods I am now 51 so don't think they will resume, on Tamoxifen now and get a lot of hot flushes and aching joints.

lolly73

The zoladex monthly implant injection is what stops most, not all though, of the oestrogen because it switches off the ovaries (therefore no periods). I am currently on zoladex and tamoxifen, but will soon be having ovaries removed and therefore stopping zoladex and just having tamoxifen.

GIJaneHere

Did you gals gain weight with tamoxifen? I am so scared of this. It defeats the purpuse. They say weight contributes to breast cancer yet I understand a side effect is weight gain. I have read where lots say they gained. Is there any other drug then tamoxifen to block estrogen receptors?

shorty2

Maria

Me again - just thought I'd mention tamoxifen doesn't deplete the oestrogen just stops it from latching onto and fuelling the cancer cells so we still have oestrogen flying around our bodies.
I'm nearly 47!
Shorty x

timetraveller

Dear Maria

I had normal monthly periods for about two years when I started Tamoxifen, no hot flushes, then they started to become irregular, further apart. I've had two bouts of hot flushes in that time which have lasted around three months each. Seems like I'm going through natural menopause (I'm nearly 55).

Polka

Hello Maria,

I have been on Tamoxifen for 13 months and have periods. They are irregular, and I also get hot flushes around the time of my period. I imagine that this is because the oestrogen reaches a low point then.

shorty2

Hi Maria,

Like you I thought great no periods - wrong!!
I will have been on tamoxifen for 2 years in March and have a very regular and heavy period each month plus hot flushes, aches and pains etc.
Onc and consultant say it's no problem and tamoxifen will be working.
In fact had my 2 year check and mammo with consultant today and mentioned it again, just said everything ok and moved me to yearly appointments - good news really!
I think views on this vary according to different health authorities.
Anyway take care
Shorty x

Maria2710

Periods

I have been on Tamoxifen for nearly 3 months now and I am still having my periods although this month I was 5 days late.

I thought the only possible good thing to come out of me having breast cancer and taking Tamoxifen was that my periods would stop.

Anyone else still having regular periods?

Maria