Periods

I have not had a period since last august (had chemo and rads and now on tamoxifen). Had cramps all last night and woke up and my periods had restarted
Is this normal?. I am 36 so pre menopause
Would appreciate anyones advice
Jools

Yes, perfectly normal, don’t worry. I’m 45 and had chemo last summer. They told me women in their 30’s often get periods back but in 40’s it’s less likely. You are on Tamoxifen cos they consider you to be pre-menopausal. They said I’d have to be period-free for a year before they considered me post-menopausal. (Blood hormone tests aren’t reliable when you’re on Tamoxifen) After the menopause they put you on something else similar (Arimidex?).
So no need to worry, you just have another inconvenience to deal with!
Jacquie x

Hi Jools

For further information and advice, you may find our factsheet about Tamoxifen useful to read as it contains information and advice about periods returning during treatment:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/tamoxifen__november_06_0.pdf

If you need any further advice or wish to talk through your concerns with someone in confidence, please call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 which opens Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi Jools

I didn’t have chemo but at time of dx had a mirena coil which stopped my periods. Onc wanted coil out which I did and I have been on tamoxifen for 1 year now. For the whole of this time I have a very regular period (every 28 / 30 days) and, I must say, very heavy period. Onc said some women stop periods on tamoxifen, others are on/off with them and some (like me) regular, heavy ones. Great I get the hot flushes AND the periods!! This doesn’t mean it’s not working.
I am 45 and pre menopausal.
Hope this sets your mind at ease a little.

Shorty x

I had just turned 40 when I had chemo and my periods stopped. Then, out of the blue last month (13years later!) I had a period.

The gynae thinks it’s a one off and that maybe I am now going through what it the ‘real’ menopause although I don’t have any symptoms (had them all back in 1995!).

Pinkdove