Persistent crying a week after mastectomy

Am I normal?
Had chemo June to Oct and each scan showed I was making good progress although my WLE pathology report in Nov showed otherwise and ended up with a mastectomy last Tues. From learning my WLE was unsuccessful and then mastectomy last week my persistent crying has spiralled out of control and sometimes even struggle breathing and first time I actually fell asleep from last Tues was this morning at around 5am (stared at clock from 10pm) and woke up screaming of horrible nightmare of being stabbed in chest.
Is my behaviour normal? Has anyone else struggled a lot emotionally? Half time I don’t know why im crying, but exhausted and can’t stop.

Hi Emma,

I’m really sorry to hear this. I imagine it is probably somewhat normal, given everything you’ve been through. But do try and find yourself some support - maybe speak to your GP? - as it can’t be any fun for you to have to carry on feeling like this. 

I too had a mastectomy last Tuesday. My circumstances were different as it was planned (as I have a BRCA 1 mutation) and something I felt was my best option, given my circumstances. But I did have breast cancer itself 14+ years ago, and to this day I remember the emotional rollercoaster of that journey well. So don’t underestimate what a huge thing it is to go through. And be kind to yourself. Maybe there are friends you can share how you feel with? Which might help lift the burden a bit.

Wishing you all the best.

Bel x

Hi Emma please make an appointment with your GP you need someone to talk to. Do you have any support at home? Don’t suffer any more on your own x

Hi Emma

I found counselling really helped me cope and I’ve never wanted counselling before as I thought it would be a waste of time but it wasn’t at all. speak to your bcn they should be able to refer you to a counsellor. Rebecca x

Thank you, I’ve been prescribed an anti depressant beginning with V which takes 2 weeks to take effect apparently and Lorazapam in the meantime. … here’s hoping!!!x

Thanks everyone, was a relief to be honest and seeing a counsellor at local charity tomorrow! I’ve been petrified of starting hormone therapy (armidex) next week that has added to my anxiety but guess I won’t know how it effects me until I take it! Hoping nothing like chemo!!
Hope you are all doing well x