cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phased return and SSP

18 REPLIES 18
riversidedawn

Re: Phased return and SSP

That's great Nik. It really helps to get some normality. Make sure you get enough rest. 

Nik2017

Hi Dawn

i can work as many or little days as I feel happy with, they have not said anything about the consecutive days, and I will still get the SSP, I've had this in writing as well.

i started back this Tuesday  and Thursday on half days, first day I was tired, second not to bad. I'm not back in now until next Tuesday, then doing 3 half days.

everyone has been wonderful, and it's nice to get some normality in my life.

thank you so much.

riversidedawn

Hi Nik, that's great that you've got it sorted out. I just want to check what working pattern you've agreed to when you go back? (I work in HR).

Macmillan are right that you get SSP if you have 4 consecutive days off, but this will still mean you have to work 3 days back to back a week. I did it during chemo - chemo day Friday, returned to work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday for 12 weeks during taxol.

Hope it works for you. When do you go back?
Dawn x
Nik2017

Hi Helena

i will I promise.

My best advise to all ladies is try when you can feel postive , if you feel tired then rest.  Speak to people, don't be ashamed that you got cancer.

Take life to its fullest, and don't be scared.

Ive made two lovely friends through my journey, and I will carry on with our friendship.

They do say good things come out of bad and it's true.

xxxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Nik

That is wonderful to hear well done you and that is the way it should be, the last thing when you are recovering from cancer treatment is to have financial worries.

Keep coming on here and chatting with us and let us know how you get on returning to work.  It is also really good for other ladies who are just starting their journey to see ladies doing well.

Well I have just finished work, I dont work thursday pm or Fridays, and am on annual leave next week, so looking forward to lazy days

Helena xxx

Nik2017

Hi Helena

i feel so much happier that I've felt in such a long time.

thanks my love

ladybowler
Community Champion

Nik

Oh that is fabulous news and you can relax now enjoy your return to work but make sure that you dont overdo it mate. 

I know what you mean I really was so pleased to get back to work as I was going stir crazy at home.

I am so pleased for you mate

Helena xxx

Nik2017

Hi Helena

My work, have now confirmed they will pay me SSP for non working days.  So I can do as many or little days as I want, so it taken the pressure of,

Sounds strange but I'm looking forward to going back to work.

xxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Nik

Hey thats no problem :).  Its good to have them behind you as they give you loads of practical support xx

Nik2017

Hi Helena

ive not got many left, so I will see what my employer says.  I hope it's son, as I'm due to start my half days next week.

Macmillian have said they will help me if it's not resolved.

Thanks for thinking of me.

xxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Nik

Well that is something, lets see what your employer comes back with as you say.  The other thing I thought of but it really is a pain, do you have any holiday left that you could perhaps use alongside it so that you got your full pay for that?

Helena xx

Nik2017

Hi Helena

i spoke to Macmillan, they have advised me that as long as you do not work for 4 days consecutive, including weekends before you work.  Then you get SSP, it's not brilliant but it's better than nothing.

So I'm waiting on my employer to come back to me.

thanks again 

ladybowler
Community Champion

Nik

Hugs right back at you xxx 

Nik2017

Hi Helena

thank you, I will call them tomorrow, I want all the facts, for when I contact my employer again.

sending hugs

ladybowler
Community Champion

Nik

Let us know how you get on.

Helena xx

Nik2017

Hello

Ive been off since 26th May and for the first 10 weeks my employer paid me Ssp an topped it up to full pay.  Then the last 5 weeks, paid me Ssp and made up to half pay,  But they think is the law, as I'm returning to work, it's just mad.

i mays well just stayed at home, as over a month I will probably only be doing a week in total and will loose out.

I will call Macmillan tomorrow 

thank u

ladybowler
Community Champion

NIk

I have just found the MacMillan number for you 0808 808 00 00, not sure if they are open today but if not you could call them tomorrow and see what they can advise.

Helena

ladybowler
Community Champion

Nik2017

Hi and welcome to the forum.  It is so frustrating when you have this happen just when you are starting to get your life back and wanting to get back to some form of normality

I am sure that there will some of the ladies on here who will be able to advise you but the other place to try is MacMillan as I have heard other ladies who have had similar problems and they have contacted them and got really good advise.

Have you been paid sick pay whilst you were off?

Nik2017

Phased return and SSP

Hello everyone 

i went to to see my employer on Friday to discuss my phased return to work, as my doctor advised to start on half days and slowly work up over a period of a month.

they agreed to it, and put a plan in to action, so felt more positive.

Then the HR lady advised me , that I will only get paid for the time I'm in work, and not paid for non working days,  Which meant I will not get paid SSP for theses days, she did apologise saying she thought it was mad.  Because in fact I'm getting less money for wanting to return.

So I've looked on the government and acas website, and it does seem that you go get paid.

So I contacted my HR department with this information, so I'm waiting.

Does anybody know if I'm correct, or what happens, if I can't get ssp 

I could really do without this, when I just want to rebuild my life