Phlebitis

Hi ladies, I had a single mastectomy in October and started chemotherapy at the end of December. I’ve had 3 rounds of EC and was due to have the 4th and final one yesterday (will then have 12 weeks of taxol, 18 cycles of Herceptin and radiotherapy) - I have phlebitis so I’m injecting myself at the moment to thin my bloods, I went for chemo yesterday and they wouldn’t do it because of my arm. Has anyone else suffered from phlebitis and can you tell me how long roughly it could take to go down?
Many thanks
Donna x

Hello Donna,

I have suffered from phlebitis in the veins of my hand (caused by cannula) thankfully not during chemo but following surgery. I had my chemo prior to surgery. I did not have to thin my blood so it was just left to right itself. It took a few months to go completely, but I would expect it would clear more quickly with blood thinners. Since then I have had intravenous antibiotics and they had to use veins in my arm as the veins in my hand are now blown. I suspect what they are most concerned within your case is the clot travelling hence the need for blood thinners.I have also had a pulmonary embolism and had blood thinners -these worked in days to clear the clot and saved my life! They are right to be cautious as you are having chemo and will restart when it is safe to do so.

Hope all goes well.

Love Amero xxx

Hi Donna, I’m currently being treated for a phlebitis thrombosis and am injecting clexane for a 6 week period. Mine was only picked up on when I was having bloods taken for chemo 4, I think it started after chemo 2 and was aggravated my chemo 3. My forearm is very sore, I have a visible patch of red which is firm to touch and can’t straighten my arm out properly as the veins in my elbow have gone hard! The sore area starts to feel a bit better but then gets aggravated by the blood pressure cuff. I have a picc in the upper part of my arm now so they are able to continue with the chemo. Xx