Picc line

Hi all had chemo wed hell of a job getting blood out and chemo line in they were talking about picc line don’t really want it but can u give me info on it how does it work does it hurt how long it take where does it go what’s it look like wat do u have to do / don’t do I’ve got 3 to go is it worth it sox for all the questions just don’t fancy it but do I need all the stress blood test scans without many thanks Laura

Can’t tell you about a PICC as I have a Portacath - but there are other alternatives to permanently ruined veins.

There are various places on the forum where they are discussed:
Try the search box at the top and look for: PortaCath, central line, Hickman, PICC. Find out all you can and make YOUR choices about YOUR body - within funding restraints where you are, of course.

Good luck.

Hi Laura,

I had a picc line put in from fec 3 to fec 6, it was the best decision that i made, totally pain free to insert & took the anxiety of blood tests & chemo away :slight_smile: they insert it in the top of your arm & you are left with a small tube that they tape to your arm & cover with a dressing.

I t takes about half an hour to fit although most of this time is prep & numbing your arm & 5 seconds for it to be taken out again no pain.

You can buy a waterproof sleeve from Boots to use in the shower/bath as you are not allowed to submerge it in water.

I would recommend it to anyone who’s veins are giving them trouble, mine were so sore & every chemo/blood test was getting more & more difficult, i am now 3 weeks post last chemo & my veins are fine again :slight_smile:

Sarah.xxx

Hi Laura

Here’s the Macmillan link to PICC line information which you may find useful:

macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Chemotherapy/Linesports/PICCline.aspx

Take care
Lucy

Hi Laura,

I had a PICC put in after chemo 3 to 6 like Sarah and it was the best thing i did. My veins had gone so hard to where i could not stretch my arm. i can still and feel the hard vein 2 weeks after my last chemo. Totally painless procedure to insert and i just kept it covered with waterproof dressings and a tubigrip. I forgot it was there. It has to be flushed once a week but my OH did that, i did have problems on my last chemo where they thought the line may be blocked as they could not get blood back thru it, but they put a fluid thru it that cleared it and all was well. I had the line out same day as my last chemo and it healed up within days.
I so wish they had offered it sooner.

Sal

Hi Laura
I had a picc line in from 5 July to 21 October of last year. I was advised to go for it by my chemo unit and it was the best decision for me.
Putting the line in took about 45 mins, no pain, just fiddly. I had it cleaned every week at the chemo unit, which took about 5 mins (sometimes had to wait for my turn though). Taking it out took 5 secs and no pain. I have a little dot on my arm as the scar that was left behind.
To date I have no problems with my veins. The picc line made giving blood and adminisering the chemo quick and easy.
Downsides: wrap your arm in clingfilm before showering - no baths, no swimming. I had an elasticated tube around it to avoid it catching.
Hope this helps.
Nikki

Hi Laura,

I too have a PICC line and it is fab!! I insisted on one before my first FEC and it was a bit fiddly getting it in but now its in its no trouble, I don’t even notice that its in. My OH flushes it and so far no problems with it. If you are having real trouble with your veins I would definitely get one even for the last 3 treatments. It WILL make a difference.

All the best

Wandyx